Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 Want to buy something to organize my needles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

cactusqueen
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  09:52:42 AM  Show Profile Send cactusqueen a Private Message
As a former/occasional quilter, I made my own quilted needle storage hanging bags, which hang on hangers in my closet, based on photos found in the Patternworks catalog. I sewed three separate layers of folded muslin on the front of a large quilted foundation (26 x 18, for example), in three different lengths for all lengths of needles (4 inches, 8 inches, 10 or 12 inches), and stitched up the base fabric to form pockets for the needles. Here, I store all my double points (and I have a lot) and all of my straight points. Then I made a second long bag with looser pockets and pull my circular needles through the pockets. I labeled and continue to label the pockets with an industrial (fine line) Sharpie. When I travel, I gather the needles I'm going to take with me and put them in another quilted bag, which velcros shut, then ties with two ties to safely secure them! (I also made all my Christmas presents from the time I was a young girl ... mainly out of necessity! but also because I have the ability to do it, so why spend the money on something boughten ...)
Go to Top of Page

sassieabby
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  10:02:20 AM  Show Profile Send sassieabby a Private Message
Hi, I made a basket to hold my knitting needles. I could send you a picture and if it looks like something you'd like to do, I can give you the details. I don't think I can attach a picture to this reply. DC
Go to Top of Page

betz8w
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  10:47:22 AM  Show Profile Send betz8w a Private Message
I store my circular needles in a zippered bag that I bought at a sporting goods store. It has plastic ziplock pockets, is in the fishing section, and is called Bookworm. I believe fishermen use it for their flies and other lures. It is wonderful and would work for double pointed needles as well. My long needles are stored in a fishing tackle box.
Betsy
Go to Top of Page

katiehauser4@mac.com

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  10:53:37 AM  Show Profile Send katiehauser4@mac.com a Private Message
i use a tall, thin clear vase to hold all my strait needles, and next to it is a crystal wedding-gift bowl that i've never really found use for. it holds all of my circular needles, stitch holders, etc. both are perched on a table behind my favorite knitting spot, so everything is always right there ( unless my nephews use them as swords . . .) knitkatie
Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  11:25:27 AM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
Plastic containers. I have all my straights in one. If I bought them new, I keep them in the plastic holder. Metal in one, bamboo and Bryspun in another. My dpns are all in their plastic cases in a small cookie tin and so are my circs. And they all live in a cupboard.
Go to Top of Page

J.M.W.
New Pal

16 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  12:47:11 PM  Show Profile Send J.M.W. a Private Message
Teri and ladies
my method is something else..
when I worked in hospital got this brainstorm..helped nurses with shots,iv's etc.,or when I or hubby were in ourselves...those plastic tubes with covers the syringes come in? very large-9" large-7" med.5" and small-4" and have covers...keep my steel knit nedles in ex-lg.size,bone hooks in one,steel croc. in one and so on..the smallest is great for markers,needles...oh even scissors too.. and in some hospital kits are even scissors..s.s. ones and used only on you.,but most times nurses use their own,but those in kit get throwed anyway..guess what..you're charged plenty ,so you might as ell get some back...
just need something for all my extra cable nedles to kep them from curling,my other Boye.WAGNER,and Denise and a much older set are all in cases...

joan
Go to Top of Page

jmorris33@cfl.rr.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  12:47:47 PM  Show Profile Send jmorris33@cfl.rr.com a Private Message
The organizers that suit me are usually found in the cosmetic bag section of Ross' or Marshall's or Macy's. They're used for packing lingerie or cosmetics for travel. They can be folded or rolled, depending on size, and have a hanger at the top. The clear plastic sections have zippers. I use large ones for needles,medium ones for extra paraphenalia such as bobbins and gauges, small ones to carry the pair of socks or the scarf I'm working on. The smallest I have is 10" across by 20" long and folds to 7" x 10"; the largest is 18" by 32". I store them hanging in my closet.
Go to Top of Page

FibersFan
Warming Up

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  1:15:15 PM  Show Profile Send FibersFan a Private Message
Several years ago I purchased the 'Knit Tote' from Patternworks. It's a zippered case with ring bound zip top bags inside, very much like the worm binders everyone is mentioning. It is the best thing I ever purchased for my circular and dp needles. It doesn't hold the 14" straight needles but I don't use them at all anymore anyway...they just sit in a vase. I also keep a needle inventory sheet with me at all times so that when I'm shopping for yarn I know what needles I have or might need.
Go to Top of Page

Kazie27
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  1:36:18 PM  Show Profile Send Kazie27 a Private Message
My daughter made me the knitting needle holder from Stich and Bithch. The directions are very clear and the holder is really nice...similar to the ones for sale from the organized knitter.
Go to Top of Page

sdh2
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  2:13:08 PM  Show Profile Send sdh2 a Private Message
I have made several needle holders from Stitch 'N beach. They are great. The size shown works very well for straights, then I made one with shorter squatter pockets for dpns. I use a clear plastic cosmetic bag for the circulars. All this fits tidily in my knitting bag, which is a very chic black bag I got at Target....and subsequently learned was a diaper bag. I also carry Nancie Wiseman's book on finishing techniques and my current project....and I am good to go anywhere at any time. .....Susan
Go to Top of Page

LindaS
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  2:33:04 PM  Show Profile Send LindaS a Private Message
The Bass Pro Shops binder just changed names, it is now called the "JUMBO Extreme DOUBLE BINDER BAG", item #38-875-494-00 and sale price is $25.88.

I have a smaller version of this bag that I use for my circulars and for travelling.
Go to Top of Page

betzlbks6@sbcglobal.net
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  2:55:18 PM  Show Profile Send betzlbks6@sbcglobal.net a Private Message
To store circular needles,I use the old fashion travel plastic cosmetic bags, which are generally zippered, and can be used in your knitting needles, cable hook,tape measure, index cards for notes on the pattern,, and also a small sample size hand cream if you need it. Another use of this cosmetic case, is to keep a Xerox copy of the pattern you are working on, so you have an extra one to refer too.
Go to Top of Page

spicema59@yahoo.com
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  3:13:16 PM  Show Profile Send spicema59@yahoo.com a Private Message
I have found that clear plastic toothbrush holders make excellent dp needle holders..cheap..easily fit in the knitting bag..also, I have plans to make my own roll-up needle holder using clear plastic(different thickness, found in the fabric store) & making it the size I decide, I will sew binding around the edges and viola! Can you picture this? More details if wanted..annie
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  3:38:04 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
Someone on the forum had mentioned keeping their needles...straight and circular... in a 3 ring notebook with plastic pockets with snaps and punched to fit 3 to 5 ring binders. I looked and looked for these pockets...and could only find one brand which are these:

http://www.business-supply.com/dept/2015506/sparco-vinyl-ring-binder-pockets.html

I ordered the larger size, which are cheaper than the smaller size, and they are just perfect!

Then I decorated the notebook and labeled each pocket with the needle size and have just exactly what I was looking for. And the price is certainly right!

Shirley in Claremont, CA (& soon , Dana Point)

I can resist everything except temptation.
-- Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

ddriver@berkeley.edu
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  4:52:54 PM  Show Profile Send ddriver@berkeley.edu a Private Message
I've been knitting for 50 years, have tried to organize needles, and found it impossible, so I just dump all needles (except Addi circular turbos) into one drawer and fish them out when I want them. The Addis (which I knit with almost exclusively now) I keep in another separate drawer, but don't organize them either. I do, however, make sure, I have a Susan Bates needle sizer on hand at all times (no, I do not work for either company ; } ).

D. Driver
Go to Top of Page

craftgrrrrl
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  6:52:00 PM  Show Profile Send craftgrrrrl a Private Message
The straights I use the most I keep in a glass vase on my coffee table since I do most of my knitting in the living room. I happened to put a few finger puppets I was making for Christmas on a few of the needles in the vase (think of golf club covers). I liked them so much they've stayed there ever since. I also use the toothbrush holder for my DPNs and a separate one for crochet hooks. I found at an art supply store a paintbrush holder that looks similiar to the cylindrical toothbrush holders but is long enough to hold those 14" needles. I was pleased as punch to find it - especially since it only cost $3! BTW, I've seen many other types of paintbrush holders would work beautifully for knitting needles.
Go to Top of Page

kierla@comcast.net
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  7:21:53 PM  Show Profile Send kierla@comcast.net a Private Message
This is the first time I've posted here. I wanted to make a case for my needles so I could customize the pockets. I found a nice pattern at: http://www.kissyourshadow.com/images/crafts/needle_case_pattern.jpg

Carla
Go to Top of Page

mdpowersmt@gmail.com

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  7:39:03 PM  Show Profile Send mdpowersmt@gmail.com a Private Message
The fishing tackle organizer is a good idea - I used to have one but it wasn't big enough for all my circulars after awhile. I finally realized that for about $7 I could buy one of those clear plastic shoe holders that fit over a door. I labelled each pocket and now keep all my circulars in it, hanging over a sliding closet door. There are extra pockets for other knitting goodies too. Efficient and cheap!
Go to Top of Page

lit+knit
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  7:42:26 PM  Show Profile Send lit+knit a Private Message
These ideas are all great -- too bad those fishermen's notebooks don't come in any cute prints! I will have to reconsider my storage options.

Some years ago in desperation I tacked all my circular and dp needles up on a bulletin board in the craft area of our basement, and that has been my "system" ever since. Most are still in their original sleeves, otherwise they're in plastic sandwich bags with labels telling their size. Some of the circulars are just hanging there, but they don't seem to mind. Other knitting odds and ends, such as yarn bobbins are up there, too. It's not very lovely, but I can see what I have at a glance. I have been considering covering the cork with pretty fabric or paper ... but I think I'd rather knit!

jane/ lit+knit
Go to Top of Page

telrand
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  11:08:39 PM  Show Profile Send telrand a Private Message
Thanks so much for all your great ideas! I have been looking at the links and thinking things through. There are so many, a decision might take awhile. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.89 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?