Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 ER Knitting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cameellie
Honorary Angel

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  9:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cameellie's Homepage Send Cameellie a Private Message
My mom got sick of seing me sick, so she called Monday to say that she was taking me to the ER and that was final. I was barely dressed when she called, but the first thing I did when she hung up was pack a knitting bag with two WIPs and some socks that needed the ends darned in. When she got to my apartment she helped me finish getting dressed and was hustling me out the door and I picked up my knitting bag. She raised her eyebrows, but said nothing. Like I told her as we waited, I knew I had to pack my knitting first because she'd wait if I wasn't dressed, but would not wait for me to get my knitting together. (I was admitted 7 hours after we got to the ER and I'm still here being treated for pneumonia and other stuff.)

Cameellie
Sometimes the only thing between me and something illegal is the thought of a lifetime of group showers and no knitting.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/cameellie/

JaniceV
Chatty Knitter

USA
338 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  9:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit JaniceV's Homepage  Send JaniceV a Yahoo! Message Send JaniceV a Private Message
I hope you are feeling better and return home soon. I understand about taking the knitting it is the first thing I pack where ever I am to go. I wis you very speeding recovery.

Janice
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  9:49:25 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message

I am so sorry that you are ill - hope you feel better soon.

Regards
Leslie
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  12:00:33 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
Good Lord Camille, no wonder you've not been feeling well at all. Hugs M'Friend and big wishes for a speedy recovery. Smart to pack the knitting first. Very smart indeed.

lella [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/animal/1/animal18.gif[/img]

http://zippiknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Shellizabeth
Chatty Knitter

Canada
312 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  12:52:48 AM  Show Profile Send Shellizabeth a Private Message
I hope you are feeling better soon!!! The last time I went to the ER I forgot my knitting and the wait was sooooooo long (4 hours to register!) Take care of yourself. Shelley

There is no such thing as too much yarn or too many needles!! Or too many knitting bags either!!!
Go to Top of Page

homebodyknits
Seriously Hooked

USA
713 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  02:29:52 AM  Show Profile Send homebodyknits a Private Message
We are all so sorry to hear that you are ill. You have a good mom that looks out for you. I take it she doesn't knit or she would understand the need to grab yours. Others take books, but everyone needs something to keep you occupied while you wait. ER's are called the "sit and wait" place. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Homebody Knits

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end the faster it goes.

http://www.picturetrail.com/knitsbykathy
Go to Top of Page

teendoc
Chatty Knitter

USA
246 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  04:22:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit teendoc's Homepage  Send teendoc a Yahoo! Message Send teendoc a Private Message
I'm so sorry. I sure hope they are doing all the right things for you! I'm worried.

Liana [img]http://www.atforumz.com/images/smilies/animal26.gif[/img]

Welcome to the Dollhouse: My Intermittent Blog
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4391 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  05:16:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear you are so sick! Very smart to think of your knitting first -- I'd be going crazy without it. Take care and get better soon!

Jane
jcc28

"Books are where things are explained to you, life is where things aren't and I'm not surprised that some people prefer books." Julian Barnes

My album: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzenu0u9/
Go to Top of Page

knittygirl
Chatty Knitter

242 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  05:51:41 AM  Show Profile Send knittygirl a Private Message
Camille.,
Hope you are feeling better today. That was very smart to pack the knitting first...I find that I feel panicky if I don't have it with me. I've knit in the ER twice now, and it was truly a lifesaver!
Kerry
Go to Top of Page

Cameellie
Honorary Angel

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  10:29:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cameellie's Homepage Send Cameellie a Private Message
Thanks to everybody for their good wishes. I am feeling better, but still stuck here. Thank goodness for knitting. and an SO who will bring in more yarn as needed, because laying around waiting for tests and healing does not make for a stimulating day.

Cameellie
Sometimes the only thing between me and something illegal is the thought of a lifetime of group showers and no knitting.

Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  4:32:00 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Cammeellie,

I'm sorry to hear you are so ill but happy that you are on the mend.

Everytime I've been really sick I've been unable to knit, so more kudos to you.

Hope your back on top of things soon.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose.
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  9:55:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
I'm so glad you went to the hospital. Pneumonia must be taken very seriously. Have a rest and knit and get better!

-Wendy
... __ ____ ____
, o`,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
```)( | | | | | | | || |l
,.- ,.-~~-., `-. :

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."

-Joshua 24:15b
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  10:59:53 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
Similar situation. My 93-year-old Mother fell in the night, was taken to the ER where she had 10 stitches taken, plus x-rays (nothing broken). When the NH notified me, I took my knitting - poor dear, a huge hematoma from above her hairline down through her jaw. Said she didn't hurt, but just wanted me to sit with her, which I did. She was delighted to see my WIP, then dozed a bit while I just patted her hand, or held it, then quietly knitted. Getting old is the pits, but I guess it beats the alternative. My knitting helps me maintain my sanity.
Dicksie
Go to Top of Page

Cameellie
Honorary Angel

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  9:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cameellie's Homepage Send Cameellie a Private Message
Another good reason to have knitting, week-long hospital stays. Argh! But, I feel better and hopefully I can go home tomorrow. Thanks again to everybody's kind wishes.

Cameellie

Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  01:44:19 AM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
I know all about week long hospital stays and watching your spouse barely able to breathe.

the only thing that got me through that (it was 4 days... but it felt like 4 weeks) was knitting.

and I had to frog the socks I was working on... *sigh*

Craftiness is Sanity
Go to Top of Page

Sue Woo
Permanent Resident

USA
1974 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  05:06:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sue Woo's Homepage Send Sue Woo a Private Message
Cameelie

I hope you get out of there soon. I spent 6 weeks in a hospital once and know the drill. Glad you have your knitting with you.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  11:50:12 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
Cameellie, I'm glad to read that you get to go home soon, and now that you are going home, remember to rest well and to take those meds; even if you feel a lot better, Darlin, take them all. Well, knit, too. :)

lella [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/animal/1/animal18.gif[/img]

http://zippiknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  1:40:06 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
You must be on deaths door to be in the hospital for almost a week! They never keep people that long any longer.....Which I think has it's good points and it's not so good points. Pneumonia is a tough one to get over esp if it's been there for a while. I spent almost two days just in the ER last week w/ Pyelonephritis and a kidney stone. I had natural childbirth that hurt much less than this did. The chemo caused the stones and we aren't sure what caused the infection, but I'm feeling so much better now even having had chemo yesterday! I took my knitting w/ me when I went to ER, but they shot me up w/ morphine so all I did was sleep. I didn't even realize I had been in there two days! I do knit while my chemo infuses and that takes my mind off the burning of my arm/vein. Yes, knitting does get us through some really difficult times. Sometimes just feeling the yarn helps.....

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

Cameellie
Honorary Angel

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  10:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cameellie's Homepage Send Cameellie a Private Message
I'm free! I'm free! They discharged me at 2 pm with antibiotics and a warning to rest or else. I'd happy dance, but I don't want to start coughing. Thanks again for all the good wishes.

Cameellie

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  08:09:15 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Cameellie....Remember to rest, rest, rest. At least you will get to sleep now. I don't know about you, but I never sleep well in the hospital. Someone's always coming in at odd hours and the strange noises keep me in a very light sleep. I remember when I had surgery and got to come home...I think I slept for 10 hours straight the first night. Lots of fluids to keep your mucus nice and thin so you can bring it up....if your mucus becomes thick...you are not drinking enough! Keep an eye on your temperature esp. at bedtime. If you start running temp call your MD. It can take weeks to get over a bad case of pneumonia. Be gentle to yourself and REST!!! I'm so glad you are finally home.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?