Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 Jane Pauley show
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DorsetMartin
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  7:32:23 PM  Show Profile Send DorsetMartin a Private Message
The Jane Pauley show is using Seaport Yarn.

If you can attend the filming of the show, this Wednesday, March 2nd @ 11:30
NBC Studios, 30 Rockefeller Plaza
call 212 664 3056 for free tickets

You made a mistake.
It's homemade. Nobody's purlfect in this world!

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  7:40:16 PM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
Looks like it's the "domestic diva" type show and they'll be talking about "knitting, pottery, and other crafts". Anyone know when the show will actually air?

knit one chic too
Go to Top of Page

GoodnightGirl
New Pal

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  10:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit GoodnightGirl's Homepage Send GoodnightGirl a Private Message
ooh, how interesting! Jeez, knitting is sure catching on to the mainstream... either that or I'm just now starting to pay attention.
Go to Top of Page

knitnerd
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  2:38:25 PM  Show Profile Send knitnerd a Private Message
It went to the show. I was one of the first people there. I brought several projects and had lots of fun talking to other knitters until they were ready to take us up to the studio. Then they announced that security would not allow us to take our needles. Then they said that they would only check the needles and to take them out of the projects. They almost had a riot until they agreed to get shopping bags and check the whole project. They even wanted the gloves I was doing on a size 0 bamboo circular. They said we would be given needles and yarn upstairs. The mood changed without our knitting. We all became impatient. They kept pulling people who had the look they wanted and putting them ahead of me in line. I missed the cutoff for the area that would be on camera by two people. Only the people in this area were given yarn and needles to work with during the show. A couple were given back their projects.Four hours without knitting for me! Jane Pauley did not even attempt to cast on or knit. Lily Chin was wonderful as usual but Suss Cousins did not impress me. I did get a big bag of free stuff as compensation for my suffering but it is obvious that no one at that show has a clue about real knitting.
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  3:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
knitnerd, you like me, don't meet the demographic of TV land, we are not young, tall and willowy.. (i am short fat and dumpy.. but i am one hell of knitter--and so is knitnerd--as well as being a local Meet Up coordinator for NYC meetup group (over 900 registered members, even if only 40 or so show up for any Meet UP-not that 40 is a number to sneer at!)

now if the show was 'who is america's top model?' i would expect to be seated near the back. but the show was about knitting.. only the subtext, (as all to often it is) is only young, hip, tall, thin, attratrive woman are desired for this activity. old, fat, grey haired women need not apply --and its better if they are not seen.. so lets not let them sit in the front seats, please, even if they show up early. and lets not show them knitting.
(i didn't even try to get tickets--cynical old woman that i am, i expected something like what happened)

Thank you Jane Pauly and all the producers, its nice to see that you to subscribe to the credo, only young pretty women; please, would all the women over 40 or overweight, please crawl under a rock and not show their faces.

and i wonder how it is that they could give out knitting needles that were not a security risk, but somehow, your needles were dangerous. MMM.. magic needles no doubt!

See my photo albums, (edit-NO PASSWORD REQUIRED) http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  4:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I have 3 questions:
1. What did it have to do with Seaport Yarn?
2. When is it being aired?
3. What was in the goody bag?

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  5:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
gee-- i missed that in Dorset's first post.. i was at seaport yarn last week (Seaport yarn is also Seaport Surveys--and i was working the at the survey business) and while they had a notice about thJP Show, (in the store, and in the newsletter sent to subscribers) i don't remember anything about the JP show using seaport yarn (and since Seaport yarn doesn't (yet!) have its own house yarn, it might just be they were the supplier (and got a mention)of what ever yarn was in goody bag.

you know, i don' think i'll bother to watch it.. i have never been a fan of JP, and well, Lily Chin is going to be a guest instructor at the BAKG (big apple knitting guild) annual retreat, and i suspect i could learn more going to the retreat, or by taking one of the BAKG workshops that she sometimes teaches-

See my photo albums, (edit-NO PASSWORD REQUIRED) http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  10:18:19 AM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
They finally aired the show today. They had the segments with Lily Chin and Suss Cousins. The opening clip was a bunch of knitters, including male knitters. One of the men said that "After a few beers, it's like bowling".

http://knitchick.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

Crey
Seriously Hooked

827 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  10:31:31 AM  Show Profile Send Crey a Private Message
I guess after a few beers almost anything is like bowling.......Crey

"Water that is too pure has no fish." -Ts'ai Ken T'an
Go to Top of Page

Mooseloose
Warming Up

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  11:34:17 AM  Show Profile Send Mooseloose a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by knit_chick

They finally aired the show today. They had the segments with Lily Chin and Suss Cousins. The opening clip was a bunch of knitters, including male knitters. One of the men said that "After a few beers, it's like bowling".

The glitzy media doesn't have a clue!

jacque
Go to Top of Page

Zack2849
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  3:38:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Zack2849 a Yahoo! Message Send Zack2849 a Private Message
It's always great to see knitting promoted - expecially when there's such a viewership, like the JP show must have. Anyone know why JP's hands where shaking/trembling...is that normal for her?
Go to Top of Page

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  6:06:27 PM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message
Isn't she the one who had such a struggle with manic depression after some medical treatment? I know that trembling hands can be a side affect of some kinds of medications for brain chemistry problems.
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  6:49:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
Ok, I'm sorry I can't stand JP, she always seems to me that she speaks to the audience like we're all 12 year olds with who are speaking english as a 2nd language. She was supposedly doing a show on how we can all do something crafty and then proceeded to state how she couldn't do it with every one of the guests. I usually don't watch her - don't like most of her topics, but did today because of the subject matter. Now I can go back to not watching her again.

HoJo

"Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards and in high heels." Faith Whittesley

My blog: www.fullthreadahead.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

homebodyknits
Seriously Hooked

USA
713 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  04:22:37 AM  Show Profile Send homebodyknits a Private Message
My mother-in-law called me to tell me to turn it on because it was about knitting. I was not impressed with the show and I also am not a fan of JP's. I am even less of a fan now that I've read this thread and all the problems given to those that wanted to be there. Nothing is like it seems is it! My question is was the yarn that they said was a cotton mix and felt so soft seaport yarn?

Homebody Knits

Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  08:30:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
lily chin (a ny'er) bought her yarn, for demontration,at Seaport, (and recommoned Seaport to the producers) but the yarn that was given out after the show to the audience was not Seaport Yarn and since Seaport Yarn is a LYS that doen't have it own line of yarns, but is just an excellent local source for a wide range of yarn, there really isn't something that is 'seaport yarn'.

Andrea would have been very happy to have been the exclusive supplier! she does have a remarkable collection --especially in NYC were high rents often mean small stores, and small inventories. some NY LYS stores just offer premium yarns-- they are often not any more expensive that elsewhere, its just very few NYC LYS carry a large range of 1824, or brown sheep..

these yarns are 'good value' -- if a standard mark up is 50% (i.e., a yarn that a store owner purchase for $5, gets sold for $10, then you have to sell many more skeins of brown sheep (under $7 for over 200 yards) than you do of Cashmire at $20 for 95 yards to make enough money cover your incredible high manhattan rent!

i don't know the actual mark up, but i do know, many manhattan stores don't carry 'value yarns' like brown sheep--but only carry 'luxury yarn'.

Seaport is specially in that it carries a huge selection of luxury yarns, and huge selection of value yarns, in its huge selection.

She has some wonderful hand dyed yarns.. that are $60 a skein --sounds expensive right? only the skeins are over 1200 yards--enough for a misses large sweater.. and since its one skein, you get consistant color/colorways for the whole sweater.. (something that doesn't always happen when you have to buy 10 hand dyed skeins.) and really, $60 for beautiful sweater made from hand dyed wool --that's really a bargain. you could spend almost as much on some crappy stuff from a craft store.
--and no, i don't work there, but Andrea is a friend, and member of my guild--(as is lily chin!)

Go to Top of Page

heidi@phknits.com

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  10:24:15 AM  Show Profile Send heidi@phknits.com a Private Message
Not that it's a pretty reality, but I can see from a demographic and marketing standpoint why they would want to put the "pretty people" on TV. But taking away needles for a knitting show? Gimme a break! Even the TSA lets us have 'em now! I agree with HoJo that JP speaks in a patronizing tone most of the time, too. Sounds like the whole thing was a bandwagon ratings gimmick. At least there was a goody bag. I would put up with a fair amount of s*** for a good freebie bag. When I want to see knitting on TV, I watch Knitty Grittyon DIY. (Too bad I've seen them all now...) I've given up watching talk shows tell me how quaint it is that I knit. I'm 25, thin, a Vogue subscriber, own a yoga mat and Internet savvy - I'm already in the target demographic (it's a sad reality, but it is reality) - I don't need to be pandered to. Just show me cute patterns and new yarns, and actual knitters who have something to share.
Go to Top of Page

roofth
Seriously Hooked

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  10:27:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit roofth's Homepage  Send roofth a Yahoo! Message Send roofth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by chellethinques

Isn't she the one who had such a struggle with manic depression after some medical treatment? I know that trembling hands can be a side affect of some kinds of medications for brain chemistry problems.

she's bipolar (which is the same as being manic depressive), and probably has to take a mix of medication all her life because of her condition.

i wish i was able to watch her show to see what all the hoopla was about! like the others - i'm not a big JP fan (although nothing against her), her show just doesn't appeal to me...
Go to Top of Page

vibj
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  10:34:15 AM  Show Profile Send vibj a Private Message
I was wondering if you could tell the name of the yarn that is $60 for 1200 yards.. and maybe where to buy it? Agreed with the comments on JP not sure how these people get shows ugh
Go to Top of Page

levis_mama
Chatty Knitter

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  1:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit levis_mama's Homepage Send levis_mama a Private Message
Is it pathetic that I only vaguely know the name Jane Pauley and I had no idea she has a show?

It's a shame that the producers only chose folks that had "the look" and that they lied to you about being given yarn and needles after confiscating your projects. Pretty sleazy behavior and all the more reason why I don't watch much mainstream T.V. Gimme DIY and History Channel any day! I hope they at least gave you nice things in the goody bag.

StephanieR
A priest, a rabbi, and a minister all walk into a stich-n-beach...

http://stitchandkvetch.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittymom
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  1:53:39 PM  Show Profile Send knittymom a Private Message
I caught the beginning of the JP show. I guess I was a bit turned off from the get-go as part of the introduction was something along the lines of "It's not your grandmother's knitting." Not that there's anything wrong with knitting being hip and trendy (actually that's wonderful -- the more the merrier). However, one of my most precious memories was watching my grandma knit and receiving all sorts of wonderful mittens and sweaters. Shows (or books) that start of with the above line, feel to me like they are somehow disparaging my grandma's efforts. Seems like there's room for knitting to be hip and trendy and proud of its heritage.

My two cents...
Sharilyn
Go to Top of Page

Kiki585
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  2:06:52 PM  Show Profile Send Kiki585 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by knit_chick

HI there: What is that Rebecca mag? I have not seen it before. and could not find it on the net..............c
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?