Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 Jane Pauley show
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  3:40:48 PM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kiki585
HI there: What is that Rebecca mag? I have not seen it before. and could not find it on the net..............c
Are you talking about the Rebecca Magazine on my blog? It's the Spring/Summer 2005 issue. I got it from Arcadia Knitting. Muench Yarns is the U.S. distributor, so you should be able to find a retailer near you that carries this magazine on their website.

http://knitchick.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

NewtonKnitter
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  4:35:29 PM  Show Profile Send NewtonKnitter a Private Message
Hi all,

I was one of the individuals who got picked to be pulled in front on the JP show. I'm not the guy who said the beer comment. All I knew was that I came to sign up for a NBC tour and this lady asked me if I was interested in being part of a filming of a show. I said yes and she sent me to the area where everyone was lining up and waiting. Then thatlady who walked along the line came up to me and told me that they needed males. To me, it was a fun experience seeing that I was new to the city - so I said I was interested in being one of the males. I did not know how to knit until that show. The wonderful ladies who sat near me saw that I really wanted to learn and I did. And now, I have goals to knit some scarves for my family. So I am thankful for that experience but also apologize if I did anything to bring a negative or wrong image of the knitting world.

One thing that I didn't like was that I was trying to learn and they kept telling me to look at the camera and knit because clearly, they wanted to show that "men" also knit. But I would rather they announce that I am a new knitter...by accident...and now I love it. I just learnt a new way to cast on...which is quite exciting...some you who were they probably remember me now!

Once again, I apologize for your disappointments. Take care and thank you for this message trail - I learnt more about how TV can skew reality and create harmful/incorrect messaging. T

NewKnitter
Go to Top of Page

NewtonKnitter
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  4:36:04 PM  Show Profile Send NewtonKnitter a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by knit_chick

They finally aired the show today. They had the segments with Lily Chin and Suss Cousins. The opening clip was a bunch of knitters, including male knitters. One of the men said that "After a few beers, it's like bowling".

HI there: What is that Rebecca mag? I have not seen it before. and could not find it on the net..............c

NewKnitter
Go to Top of Page

NewtonKnitter
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  4:39:56 PM  Show Profile Send NewtonKnitter a Private Message
Hi all,

I was one of the individuals who got picked to be pulled in front. I'm not the guy who said the beer comment. All I knew was that I came to sign up for a NBC tour and this lady asked me if I was interested in being part of a filming of a show. I said yes and she sent me to the area where everyone was lining up and waiting. Then that lady who walked along the line came up to me and told me that they needed males. To me, it was a fun experience seeing that I was new to the city. I did not know how to knit until that show. The wonderful ladies who sat near me saw that I really wanted to learn and I did. And now, I have goals to knit some scarves for my family. So I am thankful for that experience but also apologize if I did anything to bring a negative or wrong image of the knitting world.

One thing that I did not like was that they asked me to knit and look at the camera or Jane and make sure I knit while looking...as if I was an expert...just to show that men do knit. I would have rather they be honest and say that I was new to knitting and really do enjoy it. Some of you were there probably remember who I am now!

Once again, sorry for your disappointments. Take care and thank you for this message trail - I learnt more about how TV can skew reality and create harmful/incorrect messaging. T

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by knit_chick

They finally aired the show today. They had the segments with Lily Chin and Suss Cousins. The opening clip was a bunch of knitters, including male knitters. One of the men said that "After a few beers, it's like bowling".

NewKnitter
Go to Top of Page

NewtonKnitter
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  5:18:52 PM  Show Profile Send NewtonKnitter a Private Message
Hi all,

I was one of the individuals who was picked to go to the front...and I was not the person who made the beer comment. I was new to NYC and signed up for the NBC tour that day. Then a lady came up to me and asked if I wanted to be part of the filming of a live TV show. I thought that would be interesting and accepted. She directed me to the waiting line where I saw a group of knitters. And then when we proceeded upstairs, a lady came up to me because she said they needed male knitters. I told her that I couldn't knit...but then she asked if I was willing to learn. I said yes and she pulled me to the front. I am sorry and had no idea that it would result in a misrepresentation of the knitting community.

I must admit that I am thankful for the experience. I sat beside wonderful people who saw that I really wanted to learn. Now I love it. In fact, I just learnt a new way of casting on...so exciting. So thank you to the people who taught me.

I was disappointed that the producers asked me to look at the camera or at Jane and MAKE SURE to keep on knitting...as if I was an expert.

Once again, I am sorry for any misrepresentation that was done on the community. Take care and thanks again.

NewKnitter
Go to Top of Page

Rounds
New Pal

28 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  6:15:07 PM  Show Profile Send Rounds a Private Message
NewtonKnitter,

Welcome to the world of knitting! I am delighted to learn that you 'happened' in on the Jane Pauley show and got to learn to knit in the process. Enjoy the results you will create for friends and family.

Go to Top of Page

NewtonKnitter
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  8:16:01 PM  Show Profile Send NewtonKnitter a Private Message
Thank you and I am really excited. In fact, I have some ideas on how I am going to propose to my girlfriend! Just not sure how difficult it will be...Stay tuned!

NewKnitter
Go to Top of Page

AllisonV
Chatty Knitter

246 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  06:20:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit AllisonV's Homepage Send AllisonV a Private Message
Newton- How wonderful that you are excited about knitting. And don't apologize for "misrepresentation"- anyone who is excited to be knitting is a great representation of what knitting is all about! We all just like to talk both ends of a topic. While I too, am new to this forum, I have learned that everyone here likes to share their opinion and none of the opinions are meant to hurt anyone or make anyone feel bad. We all just like to vent!
Go to Top of Page

mdacep@aol.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  10:26:59 AM  Show Profile Send mdacep@aol.com a Private Message
Just want to chime in. I am 64, tall, thin, hip, working woman with no thoughts of retiring. I learned to knit at the side of my mother, whom I can see to this day in her favorite chair, knitting away. Shje was, by the way, short, a few pounds more than needed, and very sharp, hip, up on fashion, etc. Did we really think that trhe JP show on knitting would really be in depth, etc, etc. TV makes the rules and TV rules. Get over it. Go knit something luscious and get on with it. Knitting encompasses all types! Body shapes included!
Go to Top of Page

wannaknit
New Pal

21 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  10:55:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit wannaknit's Homepage Send wannaknit a Private Message
I don't watch JP but tuned in when I saw a commercial the day before about the knitting show. I thought," that will be good!" Wrong! I was very disappointed. Maybe if it would have been a longer segment, but it was so short! I really didn't care about cake decorating or women carpenters! Why bother with the women and men in the audience knitting when it was only about knitting for about 10 mins.? Stupid!
And did anyone else get annoyed with the woman with short dark hair right in the middle of the front row? It just looked too fakey, like she just wanted to be seen on tv how fast she was knitting.......sorry, she just got on my nerves.
Vicky
Go to Top of Page

buschknits
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  1:08:28 PM  Show Profile Send buschknits a Private Message
Hi!
I saw the show this week and, after my initial excitement to find something about knitting in mainstream media, I was quickly disappointed by the segment. What I found most disappointing was the light in which traditional knitting was portrayed--as boring and outdated. I am a 22-year old knitter who salivates over aran sweaters and lace shawls. I can appreciate the "fun" novelty yarns, but I wish that shows like this would also show the beauty of and the pleasure in making things that are more classic and less trendy.

Megan
Go to Top of Page

swellie27@ntelos.net

Posted - 05/16/2005 :  05:56:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit swellie27@ntelos.net's Homepage Send swellie27@ntelos.net a Private Message
I so agree with Megan! My grandmother taught me to knit when I was about 7 yo, and I haven't put my needles down since. I was the nerd knitting on the bus on band trips. I didn't discover nice yarn (never had access) until a few years ago. My hobby turned into an obsession. I have nothing against fru-fru scarves- I've knit a few and they are a great way to introduce some people to knitting- but there is so much else worth knitting! Not everyone is a fru-fru person. How about some easy beginner projects that aren't made of fun fur, and some examples of other great knits?
Go to Top of Page

petrova
Chatty Knitter

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  5:14:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit petrova's Homepage Send petrova a Private Message
Four hours without knitting for me! Jane Pauley did not even attempt to cast on or knit. Lily Chin was wonderful as usual but Suss Cousins did not impress me. I did get a big bag of free stuff as compensation for my suffering but it is obvious that no one at that show has a clue about real knitting.
[/quote]

Shish, that does not sound good, I would have been very frustrated with that. What was in the big bag of stuff.

I saw the show and it was ok but it did look staged with those folks in the front knitting.
Go to Top of Page

Lynn Haffner
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  07:18:00 AM  Show Profile Send Lynn Haffner a Private Message
I didn't know about Jane Pauley talkinga about knitting until I found this thread. However, it seems that the general consensus about her show is shared in general because, when I went to look at the show website, I found that the show has been canceled and the web address has expired. I tried looking on the NBC website, but the show is not listed.
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  09:15:14 AM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
Her website is still functioning (for now). It's on syndication on various NBC, ABC, CBS stations, depending on the location. There is an archive link to that particular show, in case you wanted to see what was on.

It doesn't surprise me that the show was cancelled, though. I've only seen a few programs & those were pretty dry and boring.

Go to Top of Page

roofth
Seriously Hooked

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  09:22:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit roofth's Homepage  Send roofth a Yahoo! Message Send roofth a Private Message
it's cancellled?! i had no idea. but of course, i don't watch it because it didn't appeal to me..

========================
http://ruthknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mtoy
New Pal

21 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  07:42:50 AM  Show Profile Send mtoy a Private Message
I saw the show today and just loved the Lily Chin sweater that laced up the front in two places and the sleeves. Does anyone know where to find that pattern?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?