Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Knitting socks on two straight needles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jewishfarmer
Warming Up

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  7:49:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit jewishfarmer's Homepage Send jewishfarmer a Private Message
I just finished a pair of mittens done in the knit/slip method of knitting a tube on two straight needles, and wanted to try it for socks. I can probably come up with my own pattern, at least for a tube sock, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any such patterns on the net? It seems like you could easily knit socks toe up using that method, and it might be quick and fun. If I have to, I'll invent a pattern, but I'd love to find one!

Thanks,

Jewishfarmer
"Rats and roaches live under the laws of supply and demand; it is the privelege of human beings to live under the laws of justice and mercy" - Wendell Berry
www.casaubonsbook.blogspot.com

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  10:12:53 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
That particular pattern is few and far between. I only have seen it once and that was in a book on double knitting that is now out of print. It is sometimes referred to as "War and Peace" pattern because it was described in the book "War and Peace". They knit one sock inside of the other on DPN's. In a toe up sock, I think it would be easier to knit each toe separately and then put them inside each other, but then I use the provisional cast on method of making them seamless. Kntting one sock at a time with that method does not provide any particular challenge. When you get to the heel, you work back and forth on it the way you usually do just slipping the stiches that are not involved until it is time to pick them up again.

fran
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  06:41:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
Wow--that's like the astro-physics of knitting . . . the brain surgery of knitting . . . the organic chem of knitting. I so want to try that, and I think it's the best excuse I've ever had to read War and Peace.

If anyone comes up with a pattern, please post it.

http://crazylaneas.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Eniyan
Chatty Knitter

114 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  09:14:27 AM  Show Profile Send Eniyan a Private Message
Lanea,

That was too funny. Thanks for my first good laugh of the day.

E
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  10:59:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
I wouldn't want to knit socks that way, because to me it would be too much of a pain in the you-know-what. But read War & Peace anyway - it's just the coolest love story.

-Wendy
... __ ____ ____
, o`,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
```)( | | | | | | | || |l
,.- ,.-~~-., `-. :

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."

-Joshua 24:15b
Go to Top of Page

sarakate
Seriously Hooked

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  11:51:27 AM  Show Profile Send sarakate a Private Message
There's a pattern for two socks knit one inside the other here. It's definitely oriented to the novice, and explains both how to do double-knitting and how to knit a sock, before jumping in to the double-knit socks.
Go to Top of Page

knitsandwrits
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  11:54:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitsandwrits's Homepage Send knitsandwrits a Private Message
I believe the method of knitting two socks on two needles you're talking about is described in the book, Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook, although there may not be an actually pattern using the technique in the book. This is not the same technique as knitting one sock inside the other. That's done on circular needles.
http://naughtyteaspoon.20m.com/TwoSocks.html

Susan
http://ma2ut.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.95 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by