Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Suggest a poll
 Poll - Most used Cast On Method and why
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MeezieGirl
Seriously Hooked

USA
623 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  09:49:35 AM  Show Profile Send MeezieGirl a Private Message
I use the long tail cast on (the knit-off-the-thumb variety) for most things. I use tubular cast on for rib, both 1 x 1 and 2 x 2; I just change it to 2 x 2 and go ahead.

Dee
Go to Top of Page

RedPoppy
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  10:41:08 AM  Show Profile Send RedPoppy a Private Message
Does anyone know what is meant by an "invisible" cast-on? I assume it's another name for a type already meantioned here.
Go to Top of Page

mom4GJ
Chatty Knitter

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  10:46:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit mom4GJ's Homepage Send mom4GJ a Private Message
For the projects I've done so far, I have used long-tailed cast on and knit on cast on.

I use long-tailed because as someone else said, it's what I was taught (in my first knitting book). I use it on socks, too, but I cast on using two needles held together, so that the top of the sock is stretchy enough.

I have one project that required a knit on cast on -- casting on in the middle of the project with only one strand of yarn. That worked well on that project.

Kim in WV
http://mom4gj.blogspot.com

By laughing, you do not use up your laughter, but increase your store of it. (Life Expectancy, Dean Koontz)
Go to Top of Page

mom4GJ
Chatty Knitter

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  10:51:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit mom4GJ's Homepage Send mom4GJ a Private Message
OH OH OH I have a star. I just noticed it. Yippee.

I forgot to mention that I used to use the "thumb" method of long tailed cast on, but learned how to do it holding the yarn a different way that goes much faster. I think it was -- argh -- can't think of the web site, but it's the one with the great videos. I'm at work and can't look it up.

My biggest problem with long tailed is that I overestimate the amount of tail to leave and end up with a very LONG tail when I'm done.

Kim in WV
http://mom4gj.blogspot.com

By laughing, you do not use up your laughter, but increase your store of it. (Life Expectancy, Dean Koontz)
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  12:12:32 PM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
I use the long tail as well, unless the pattern requires something else. Many of you mentioned having problems estimating the right amount of yarn for the long tail. If you have more than one ball of your yarn, you can avoid this problem by using an end from each ball. Do a slip not with the two ends together and slip over your needle and tighten. Then, commence with the long tail method - DO NOT COUNT the slip knot (which will look like two wraps on the needle). When you finish, cut off the ball that's attached the end that would have been the end of your yarn. Hope this makes sense. I just did this for a sweater and it worked fabulously.
Go to Top of Page

SaintJay
Chatty Knitter

113 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  05:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit SaintJay's Homepage Send SaintJay a Private Message
I use long tail nearly exclusively. When I'm casting on many stitches I'll calculate how much tail I need by CO 10 [not counting the slip knot], pull it out and use that length to figure out how much tail I need.

It's so worth it to undo 10 stitches as an investment to not undo 200 because I ran out of tail!!
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  06:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
an other option for a long cast on is to use 2 balls of yarn

with a short (6 to 12 inch tail) tie two balls of yarn together --use a slip knot) DO NOT COUNT THIS AS A STITCH

then use one ball as 'tail' and cast on.. you'll always have enough yarn.

when the cast on is complete, cut the tail yarn (again leave 6 to 12inches of yarn. (or more)
and knit -- drop the slip knot (double yarn) as you complete the first row--BONUS--no knot in cast on row!

the double tail does mean a bit more weaving in, but when you are casting on 300 or so stitches.. its very nice not to run out or waste yarn!
--------------------------------------------------------------
i use several cast on's--
long tail
invisible (my invisible does not use a provisional cast on)
eyelet (emily ocker is another name--and under that name there are plenty of on line tutorials)
and several variation of long tail

i always use invisible for neck edges on top down sweaters --and bind off cuffs to match, (but to hell with bottom hem.. that gets a standard bind off!)

i what ever cast on give me the effect i want.. sometimes figure 8, somtimes other cast ons.

cast on methods are tools.. if you only own one screw driver, you manage.. and you can dig into philips head screws, or use your finger nail for really fine screws (like on your glasses)

but most of us own 6 or 7 screwdrivers: some fine ones, some medium ones, some large ones, some philips. and sometimes we use them to pry open cans of paint, and sometimes we use them in ways not intended..

to me, cast on's are the same. can you make do with one cast on? sure. but no one cast on is perfect for all applications.

you don't need 30+ (that i know) but one is too few. some times a tight cast on is needed (for say a buttonhole) other times, a stretch cast on is needed (say a top down sweater -not cardigan). and eyelet cast on's are perfect for top down hats, or knit flowers, or other flat circles of knitting (or for finger tip to cuff knit gloves!) like one screwdriver, one cast on style can work.. sort of, if you make do, and ...

See my photo albums, (edit-NO PASSWORD REQUIRED) http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/
Go to Top of Page

MijTink
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  11:34:27 PM  Show Profile Send MijTink a Private Message
Usually the long-tail cast-on with two needles, but have used other types depending on the project.

Have you ever done the long-tail C/O, and as you're excitedly knitting the first row, you suddenly run out of yarn 'cause you're knitting with the tail?

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you understand what you are doing."
-Guarantee Reserve Guardian
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  12:17:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
Does anybody know how to do a bind-off that mirrors the long-tail cast-on? It seems to me as if it should be fairly easy, but everytime I try to figure it out, I hit a wall, so to speak, and the secret fails to come to me.

-Wendy
... __ ____ ____
, o`,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
```)( | | | | | | | || |l
,.- ,.-~~-., `-. :

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."

-Joshua 24:15b
Go to Top of Page

unravelme
New Pal

33 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  1:57:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit unravelme's Homepage Send unravelme a Private Message
I learned using knitted cast on, but I've never been happy with it. My stitches end up looking very loopy and loose.

I am in love with the cable cast on, and was glad to read that Mokey has had no problems with it's elasticity. I'm about to start a project that uses k2p2 ribbing, and was hoping the cable cast on would be elastic enough.

Madalyn
http://unravelmeknitting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kitkatknit
Chatty Knitter

184 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  10:49:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit kitkatknit's Homepage Send kitkatknit a Private Message
I do the loop cast when it doesn't matter, long tail when it does.

http://spaces.msn.com/members/joyofspin/
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  3:39:59 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
My "I don't have to think about it, just do it automatically" cast-on is the cable one. I use figure eight for starting small circles - toes on socks, tops of hats - and the long-tail and reverse long-tail for double knitting. I've never done a provisional cast-on, but it's on the list for learning.

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos: I've gone back to yahoo!
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

Sabrina Fair
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  06:25:07 AM  Show Profile Send Sabrina Fair a Private Message
What a ggod question.

I used the knited cast on and the channel island cast.

The channel isalnd cast gives little knots along the edge and it meant to be robust on well worn garments as the knots stop the fraying spreading. It looks like this

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sabrina_fair1/detail?.dir=7ab3&.dnm=e63c.jpg

For how it to do it, well it took me a while to figure it out but this is the best instructions I have found

http://countrywool.tripod.com/freepatterns/chanel.htm

Sabrina

Sabrina fair,
Listen where thou art sitting
Under the glassy, cool, translucent wave,
In twisted braids of lilies knitting

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sabrina_fair1/album?.dir=/7ab3
Go to Top of Page

calicokitty6
Seriously Hooked

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  4:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit calicokitty6's Homepage Send calicokitty6 a Private Message
I learned the long-tail cast-on and that is the one I use. I still have to work on calculating the right length of yarn but don't mind a little left over.

=^..^= Debbie
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  4:24:34 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by calicokitty6

I learned the long-tail cast-on and that is the one I use. I still have to work on calculating the right length of yarn but don't mind a little left over.

=^..^= Debbie

Have you seen the thread on using 2 strands for this? You always have the exact right amount.

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  4:41:59 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
I know a few different cast-ons, but love long tail. There's something about the motion in my hands that is so soothing. I also like the neat edge, especially if I ignore patterns and begin with a wrong side row. Now that I learned (thank you KR!) the trick of using both ends of a skein to do the long tail, I don't know that I'll ever do anything else.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

sweetnsour
Chatty Knitter

USA
156 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  01:30:32 AM  Show Profile Send sweetnsour a Private Message
I've been crocheting my stitches on a lot lately, because I liked the edge it gave and it's a little stretchier than my long tail cast on, and not yarn guessing. Otherwise, long tail. It was the first one I learned, so it's kind of stuck in my head.

Amy

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  7:58:59 PM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
My sister just taught me a different cast on, but I dont know the name of it.
long tail, wrap tail around left thumb, pass needle under loop, take ball yarn and pass between needle and loop, then put loop on needle.
Anyone know the name of this cast on? She found it years ago in an old book. It makes a nice strong cast on.
Thanks

karknit

My diet incentive, to knit smaller sweaters.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?