Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 Recycled Silk Sari Yarn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jewel115
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  11:05:35 AM  Show Profile Send jewel115 a Private Message
[font=Impact][font=Lucida Console]purple]Has anyone tried the new silk yarn made from recycled saris and sari bolt ends? It's pretty expensive, but I'm dying to get my hands on some! The colors are just awesome! I dream about this stuff! (Knitting can do that to you, you know...) I ran into it at a LYS, from a brand called Mango Moon, at $22/skein. I checked it out on ebay, and with shipping included, it's not really any cheaper unless you buy quantity (such as a sweater kit). There are similar non-brand yarns on ebay, but it's hard to know what you're getting. I hear the texture & strength can vary widely. Anyone ever use it?

Jewel[/purple]

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4168 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  11:34:34 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
Jewel...many people on the forum have used it and we've discussed it several times (use the search function and type in sari yarn and you'll find all the discussions!). I really l like this yarn for bags...I made a bag from the knitty.com web site with this yarn. I also made a scarf from it (drop stitch) and it stretched so now the scarf hangs down almost too the floor. That's a bit of a problem.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

elisantics
Warming Up

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  01:12:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit elisantics's Homepage Send elisantics a Private Message
just thought i'd note, you can get 3 very large skeins of this for around $30-35 on http://gearthatgives.com

it is gorgeous, but this particular yarn has a musty smell... however, that comes out w/ a hand wash and some febreeze.

i'm currently making Unbiased from knitty.com, and it's going to be beautiful. it is taking me a while as knitting with yarns like this can be a little hard on my arthritic hands. but it really covers up most mistakes and is a very easy bag to make. i'll probably have enough to make a scarf to match once i'm done.
Go to Top of Page

contrary1
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  12:31:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit contrary1's Homepage Send contrary1 a Private Message
We carry Mango Moon & I've worked on it a bit, as well as seen items customers have made up.
True, it does sometimes have a strong odor, ours has been more medicinal sort of smelling. We opened the skeins and let it all air out prior to putting it in the shop. Smells fine then.
It is thick & thin.......we don't wind it on the swift without hand cranking the swift if that makes any sense. (we don't let the ballwinder pull the yarn from the swift) I have had a skein break occasionally where the yarn wasn't spun together well enough.
It is absolutely gorgeous........the colors make up for any difficulties in my opinion.
Sue from
Country Yarns
Go to Top of Page

SpinDiva
Gabber Extraordinaire

552 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  4:35:01 PM  Show Profile Send SpinDiva a Private Message
I've made 2 projects, an unbiased bag, to which I added a few "touches" - and a drop stitch scarf - and they are MAGNIFICENT. I bought mine off Ebay - and had no unusual smells at all. Sure there were a few REALLY thin areas, which I happily broke and knotted, and found it to add even more character.

I am wearing the scarf righ now - and everyone at work went NUTS for it! The colors are as vibrant as a salt water fish!

Andrea
Go to Top of Page

zoobiedoo
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  08:53:00 AM  Show Profile Send zoobiedoo a Private Message
[font=Lucida Console]I just bought a skein of Mango Moon. What glorious colors. Pacific Coast Fabrics. $19.99

I would like to make a scarf. Does anyone that has used the beautiful yarn have any knit or crochet scarf patterns.

I love that this company supports women!!![/font=Lucida Console
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4168 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  12:00:06 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
I did a drop stitch scarf (row 1: (knit 1, wrap yarn around needle* Knit 1, row 2: knit 1, drop wrap stitch off needle) and it looks great.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Windansea
Chatty Knitter

165 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  4:36:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Windansea's Homepage Send Windansea a Private Message
I used the Mango Moon stuff to make an iPod bag for my daugher - it is very stretchy, so I'm not sure if I'd make anything a lot bigger without lining it. And the i-cord strap was another concern, but the iPod isn't too heavy so it should be okay. I was wondering how the Unbiased bags hold up?

It is very cool looking, though, and pretty fun to knit with! Today, I saw solid-color recycled silk at a LYS - it's beautiful too.

Windansea
Go to Top of Page

ShelbyD
New Pal

22 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  09:06:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShelbyD's Homepage Send ShelbyD a Private Message
I just got some of this from eBay - photos of it are on my blog (click on my signature). It looks amazing! There was a bit of a musty scent when I first got it out of the bag, but it seems to be fading quickly. I have some ideas for a drawstring bag, and would like to make a drop stitch scarf as well. As far as price, I paid $40 for 1000g, but several of the auctions for the same amount were up to around $80.

http://shelbyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

fish
Chatty Knitter

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  1:45:28 PM  Show Profile Send fish a Private Message
At one time last week there was an ad for the silk sari yarn on the sidebar of the forum page (my name for it - any way the forum sponsors)for a place that sold sari yarn. The URL was knitting-yarn-store.com/silk. They had 100 yards for $7.50 for a limited time (no idea what the limited time was/is). Didn't order any so have no idea of the quality or service but I do plan to try later when the coffers are refilled.
I ordered my from eBay at a much higher price - darn it - but haven't made anything from it yet.
Good luck
Go to Top of Page

Quinacridone
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  1:24:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Quinacridone's Homepage Send Quinacridone a Private Message
I've knit quite a lot with this type yarn.
: unbiased bag from Knitty.com
: a LARGE tote (bigger than unbiased....which i eventually frogged) from an older Knitter's magazine (I'd have to look up the date, but its beautiful!)
: a off shoulder cardigan
: a cabled sweater (ran the silk with red mohair....beautiful!)
: the Jo Sharp coat from Interweave (obviously my gauge was bigger, so I had to make my own adjustments!) I knitted that with a sand colored mohair for most of the coat and then the "inside" piece I did with just sari silk.
: two different scarfs as gifts
: a glorious poncho

to view my art:http://members19.clubphoto.com/jeanette817795/2117587-Pc4e8/owner-8543.phtml
Go to Top of Page

knitting-yarn-store
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  09:18:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitting-yarn-store's Homepage Send knitting-yarn-store a Private Message
Yes, you can still get a beautiful skein of first quality silk sari yarn for only $7.50 each (outside of California) or $8 each (within CA which includes tax) at the "Knitting Yarn Store".

Our yarn (a.k.a. himalayan yarn and recycled silk yarn) is guaranteed and you can return it for a full refund within 14 days of purchase, if you are not satisfied.

Plese feel free to visit our website to check out our yarn and newly uploaded pictures.

http://knitting-yarn-store.com/silk-yarn.htm

[img]http://knitting-yarn-store.com/images/yarn6_small.jpg[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by fish

At one time last week there was an ad for the silk sari yarn on the sidebar of the forum page (my name for it - any way the forum sponsors)for a place that sold sari yarn. The URL was knitting-yarn-store.com/silk. They had 100 yards for $7.50 for a limited time (no idea what the limited time was/is). Didn't order any so have no idea of the quality or service but I do plan to try later when the coffers are refilled.
I ordered my from eBay at a much higher price - darn it - but haven't made anything from it yet.
Good luck

Go to Top of Page

TracyKnits
Chatty Knitter

324 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  10:10:13 AM  Show Profile Send TracyKnits a Private Message
Does anyone know where I could get the solid colored sari silk? I saw a bag I want to make that used the colored silk, along with solid black. I've been looking on-line but haven't been able to locate any solids.

Also, would the purse have a problem with stretching do you think?

Thanks!!
Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  10:17:02 AM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message
I don't know where to find the solid colors, but as far as handbags go, if you line them the weight will be on the lining, not the yarn. (Except for the handle) I have not had a problem with any of the ones I have made stretching out of shape, but they do get rather soft after a year or so of use. Not a problem, just a bit fuzzy.
I also use crinoline or another stiffener between the lining and the outside.

~Rebecca

"Nothing, why?"
Go to Top of Page

mainie
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2005 :  2:15:56 PM  Show Profile Send mainie a Private Message
Hi I came across this forum when I was looking at prices for recycled silk. I just saw some at a local shop and can't wait to get some. It was twelve dollars (tax not included)for a two hundred gram skein or three for thirty.
Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  09:54:21 AM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by zoobiedoo
...Does anyone that has used the beautiful yarn have any knit or crochet scarf patterns...

Mango Moon has a web site at:http://www.mangomoonyarns.com/Patterns.html

where they offer several free patterns, including this drop stitch scarf:

[img]http://www.mangomoonyarns.com/DropStitchScarf_S.jpg[/img]

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

leftyknits
Warming Up

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  11:10:19 AM  Show Profile Send leftyknits a Private Message
I knit a "V" scarf with the recycled silk, and alternated every three rows with mohair! It is the envy of all my friends, and one of the only scarves I've kept for my self! It is pricy, but I think it's worth it! I plan to do more, but haven't found the right pattern yet!

-Crystal

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.77 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?