Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Raglan increases
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Silver
Warming Up

77 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  6:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Silver's Homepage Send Silver a Private Message
I'm knitting a top down raglan and have always knit into the front and back for my increases. I'd like to try something new. What Is your favorite paired increase method? Why do you like it?
TIA!

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  8:42:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
a raised increase

you need 2 or 3 'center stitches.

mark the center 'seam' stitches
knit to marker.
then, knit into stitch below next stitch -then knit into next stitch.. (this is the easy half..)

knit the center stitches. Now to doing matching increase, it must be done not in the stitch you just knit (last 'stitch' of center group) NOR in the stitch below it--but in the stitch below that!
(at first, you might want to mark the stitch below before you knit the last stitch of center group)
twist the point of the right needle, and pick up a stitch from 2 below (its neater and easier than it sounds.

its called a 'raised center increase' because the stitch in the center look 'raised' (phyically higher)

and it looks special too, because if you have 3 stitches in the center group, it looks like 2-your increases hid on half of each edge stitch, so 3 stitches in center group look like 2.. (and 2 stitches looks like 1 --1 stitch in center group can be done, but it tends to stretch out to much for my taste!

(i also like the matching center raised decrease, too)

See my photo albums, (edit-NO PASSWORD REQUIRED) http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/
Go to Top of Page

Silver
Warming Up

77 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  9:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Silver's Homepage Send Silver a Private Message
Thank you for the suggestion, but I got anxious and started my sweater already... with the k1b&f increase. LOL New yarn... just arrived today. Doesn't matter anyway, I'm finding that the yarn kinda disguises the increase pattern.

But, I'll try that for the next one. I have another on my to-do list. Question though, do you find that the raised increases causes a pucker in the fabric? Since you're pulling up stitches from the rows below.. it just crossed my mind that it might happen. Or does blocking take care of it?
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  06:52:02 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
Oftroy's favorite is my favorite too, but I only use one center stitch and it ends up looking like a knit stitch that's going from cuff to neckline even though it's knitted the other way. Magic! Doing paired make one increases (one that twists the stitch to the left, the other twists right) on either side of center stitch(es) also looks nice.
Barbara Walker's Knitting from the Top has a picture and instructions for about 10 different raglan increases -- take a look and choose your favorite.
Go to Top of Page

cats
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  09:36:00 AM  Show Profile Send cats a Private Message
The top down raglan sweater that I did used yarn overs for the increases. The pattern was written so that the biggest size is for a 2 year old.

There are two stitches with a yarn over on both sides. It looked really cute I thought.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe