Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Synthetic Dyes
 Lanaset Dyes Toxic?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eniyan
Chatty Knitter

114 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  12:19:41 PM  Show Profile Send Eniyan a Private Message
Are Lanaset dyes toxic or not? Or is it only some colors are toxic? I got a set recently. I also now have the vinegar I needed. I would love to do hot pour, but I don't have a dedicated pot for this. I wanted to avoid investing in a crockpot but not at risk to my health.

Any input?

megknits
Sustaining Member

USA
729 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  1:29:55 PM  Show Profile Send megknits a Private Message
I could be wrong, but everything I've read urges caution in regard to toxicity. What I did is to go to Target and buy a large turkey roasting pan with a cover. It cost me less than $10, and is dedicated only to dyeing. You could also check out garage sales for inexpensive crock pots. It just seems to me that it's a relatively small amount of money to spend to be sure that you aren't ingesting the dyes.

One thing I do that is against the recommendations I've read is that I use my regular kitchen for dyeing. But I cover all the food prep surfaces with plastic garbage bags, and I wipe up all spills immediately, so I think (hope) that's o.k.

I think the one area everyone agrees that you should be careful is when you are mixing the powders to form solutions. Apparently, inhaling them can be quite dangerous as the particles will lodge in your lung tissue. You can get inexpensive dust masks from the hardware store to guard against that.

Meg

There's two sides to everything. One knitter's knit stitch is another knitter's purl.
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  3:27:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Once you've used a pot or utensil for dyeing, never use it again for food. The exceptions are food-based dyes: KoolAide, cake decorating colors, easter-egg dye.

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Knitting Fever
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
548 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  4:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitting Fever's Homepage Send Knitting Fever a Private Message
Deb Menz says in her video that Lanaset (Sabraset) Dyes are no more toxic than other common household chemicals, but you should still wear a mask when until you have the powder mixed in liquid form, if that helps any.

Carolyn
http://carolynh.tblog.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  9:20:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Carolyn's absolutely right - these (and any commercial acid dyes) are non-toxic in their liquid form, but you don't want to inhale the powder.

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Eniyan
Chatty Knitter

114 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  12:00:24 PM  Show Profile Send Eniyan a Private Message
As luck would have it I recieved a $10 coupon from macy's.com for participating in a survey. I just ordered an oval 6qt crockpot for dyeing. Including shipping it was under $30. I figure I'd rather be safe than sorry. So I will stick to cold pour dyeing till next week. However I refuse to get a second microwave. Thats where I draw the line.

Check out my WIPs on my newbie blog--Go Jersey! http://eniyan.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  1:04:41 PM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
These days you can pick up a microwave for about $40 though...
Go to Top of Page

Eniyan
Chatty Knitter

114 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  8:22:34 PM  Show Profile Send Eniyan a Private Message
I just don't have the space for a microwave(small attic living in a suburb of NYC). Plus it would confuse the hell out of my boyfriend.

Check out my WIPs on my newbie blog--Go Jersey! http://eniyan.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  8:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
how would it confuse your boyfriend? i think i'm a bit confused

Take care!
Brandy

see my completed works here: http://blwinteler.tripod.com/projects
Go to Top of Page

Kellann
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  9:11:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kellann's Homepage  Send Kellann a Yahoo! Message Send Kellann a Private Message
"No honey...don't use that microwave! That one is for YARN only"

I can see where that would confuse my man!!!

Kellann

"Get those needles movin' ladies and gents!"
www.kellannknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Renee77
Chatty Knitter

261 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2005 :  07:36:29 AM  Show Profile Send Renee77 a Private Message
I went and took a look at Deb Menz's book, on p. 58 where she talks about safety. She does say that Lanasets are no more hazardous than common household chemicals. I think she should have added that they are no more hazardous than things like chlorine bleach, drain cleaner, ammonia and oven cleaner. But, you wouldn't want to ingest these, get them on your hands, get them on your food, inhale their fumes, etc.

Lanaset dyes are industrial dyes; they were developed mainly for use by the commercial textile industry. They are not safe in the same way that food dyes are. Food dyes are certified by the FDA to be safe for ingestion, or getting on your hands. Basically, these are non-toxic.

All the recommendations that people posted above for working safely with Lanasets are good - wearing a dust mask, keeping surfaces clean, cleaning up any spills right away, only using crockpots and such for dyeing, and no longer for preparing food. It's also a good idea to clean up spills with paper towels, which you can throw away. When I've worked with Lanasets (they give wonderful colors), I've done it in a bathroom. I also wear rubber gloves. Those disposable latex gloves that you can buy in a box at the drugstore work nice. In Deb's book, she recommends all of these, too.

Prochem (they sell dyes to crafters) had a good page about working safely with dyes.
http://www.prochemical.com/StudioSafety.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?