Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Black Water Abbey yarn?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Apple Cider
Chatty Knitter

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  6:28:45 PM  Show Profile Send Apple Cider a Private Message
I love their patterns, and I like the idea that the wool is spun in Ireland. Has anyone ever actually used these yarns? The colors are beautiful (I especially like Bracken and Moss). Is it (too) itchy?

Here's the site: http://abbeyyarns.com/

----------------
~The Other Julie

Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly. - Arnold Edinboroh

My blog: http://needlesandspin.com

carpe diem
Permanent Resident

1158 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  7:07:44 PM  Show Profile Send carpe diem a Private Message
I'm wondering too as I'm certain it's one of the suggested yarns in Folk Shawls. I'll have to check out the link, thx!

~ Lisa, Seattle
Go to Top of Page

pwoods
Chatty Knitter

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  10:41:18 PM  Show Profile Send pwoods a Private Message
Blackwater Abbey recently had a trunk showing in my area. The colors are indeed beautiful but it was very itchy wool, in my opinion. Not next to the skin yarn for most people, I would say. You'd want to wear a shirt or t-neck underneath. The things I saw were mostly sweaters done in the worsted weights. Very lovely yarn.

Pat
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  09:34:27 AM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
The colors are great. I bought a few skeins at Stitches for a sweater that I have yet to make. I used a little of it to strengthen the bottom of a Booga Bag. Touching the skein, the yarn is itchy, but from what I understand, it does soften up after a few washes. I saw some of the sweaters knit up from it & they didn't seem as itchy. I think it's the type that you would wear something underneath.

knit one chic too
Go to Top of Page

amandaCO
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  10:59:42 AM  Show Profile Send amandaCO a Private Message
I too have heard it softens up considerably. I did send away to get swatches, as I recall, they were free even. So, I little bits to feel and have a good idea, as well as being able to see the real colors. If you're really interested in it then I'd suggest doing the same.
Go to Top of Page

platys
Seriously Hooked

USA
719 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  12:13:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit platys's Homepage Send platys a Private Message
Black Water Abbey does soften up a lot, but it isn't really suitable for next to the skin wear. I knitted the Braids cardigan out of it, and I just wear a t-shirt or turtleneck under it. I love it, though - it looks as great as the day I knitted it, and it was great to knit with.

I have more stashed for a pullover in a beautiful blue color. :)

Gail
http://www.knittergail.com
Go to Top of Page

Apple Cider
Chatty Knitter

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  12:27:05 PM  Show Profile Send Apple Cider a Private Message
Thanks! You all are, as usual, very helpful. I'll be ordering from them :)

I did get the color card, but I know it's sometimes difficult to tell how the yarn will knit up (let alone soften after washing) from the small samples.

----------------
~The Other Julie

Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly. - Arnold Edinboroh

My blog: http://needlesandspin.com
Go to Top of Page

rumraisin
Warming Up

69 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  4:17:15 PM  Show Profile Send rumraisin a Private Message
I did not buy this yarn because the color samples felt scratchy. However, I have a knitting friend who has made several vests from this yarn and loves it. I touched her vest and it did not feel scratchy. When I'm off my yarn fast, I'd like to get some in a pretty yellow color. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe