Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 My Mom's in the ICU
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

knittherapy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  09:10:29 AM  Show Profile  Send knittherapy a Yahoo! Message Send knittherapy a Private Message
Thank you, all! Your thoughts and prayers worked!!
My mom's doing better every day. She can move her leg a little, and will be moving to a closer hospital this week to continue her rehab.

Lori [img]http://www.yatoula.com/gif/dessin_animes/dessin_anime_71.gif[/img]

My photos
Go to Top of Page

Frannybee
Warming Up

United Kingdom
96 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  11:43:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frannybee's Homepage Send Frannybee a Private Message
Lori, I'm glad your Mum is doing better. Prayers being said for her successful rehabilitation. (((Hugs)))
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  5:57:46 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Lori,

I'm so glad your mum is on the mend.

We should all thank God for our prayers being answered.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose.
Go to Top of Page

knittherapy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  08:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Send knittherapy a Yahoo! Message Send knittherapy a Private Message
I spoke too soon. She's not being transferred this week, as her platelet count dropped again. Now the doctors are talking about doing a very dangerous procedure on her...which could cure her or kill her, to be blunt. They want to take part of her immune system out, then kill off her remaining immune system, then re-introduce her immune system to her. The theory is that her body will grow her immune system back without the dysfunction she now has. There is also a doctor doing a similar treatment with stem cells, instead of the "old" immune system.
The stress is almost unbearable. I knit at night until I can't keep my eyes open, but as soon as I get in bed the tears start. Plus, I'm supposed to leave on my honeymoon in two weeks...hopefully she'll be stable by then and I can go and enjoy myself, otherwise we're going to have to put it off.

My photos
Go to Top of Page

Mean Mama
Permanent Resident

USA
1138 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  09:12:10 AM  Show Profile Send Mean Mama a Private Message
oh, Lori! Just when we were breathing a sigh of relief on your behalf. . . I am so sorry to hear about this setback.

We are hoping for the best!

-- Mean Mama
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  01:30:45 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Oh Lori,

I feel for you so much.

I wish I could wave a magic wand and make everything alright for you.

Just try and be brave for your Mum, spend as much time as you can with her and pray like you've never prayed before.

I will be praying too, as I'm sure a lot of other people in these forums will.

Rose.
Go to Top of Page

Shellizabeth
Chatty Knitter

Canada
312 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  3:53:56 PM  Show Profile Send Shellizabeth a Private Message
Lori. All my thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope they can help your mom soon. Take care. Big Hugs Shelley

There is no such thing as too much yarn or too many needles!! Or too many knitting bags either!!!
Go to Top of Page

JustJackie
Chatty Knitter

265 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  11:51:47 PM  Show Profile Send JustJackie a Private Message
Lori, Sending good wishes & prayers to you and your mom. You stay positvie and she'll be with you to love & spoil her grandkids.
Jackie
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  5:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
Dear Lori;
I will knit a row or twenty for your mum tonight. I hope she cruises through this next porocedure very well.
Hang in and remember to take care of yourself too.
I recently went through a traumatic episode with my mother too. Three attempts to get a pace maker in (an emergency situation to put the first temporary one in). Her platelet count dropped to extreme levels. But she fought and got better. Then after she was recovering very well, she caught one of those superbugs that drift around hospitals. It was an infection, and so with all her health problems, very very serious. The doctor spoke about mortality rates for three days in a row. But she is thankfully over the infection as well (couple of days back). She is even well enough to head home soon!

So have faith, be strong, but also remember to sleep and eat from time to time. And I'm with you in the knitting. Our time for a little peace.

Best wishes to yuor mother.
Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

knittherapy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  09:55:11 AM  Show Profile  Send knittherapy a Yahoo! Message Send knittherapy a Private Message
Thank you so much, all.
My mom is in good spirits. her count is up, and they should be transferring her next week to Maryland for treatment. She said to me, "Maybe this time next year I'll be living without ITP!". Plus, she's chomping at the bit to go on a vacation to (any) beach!! Unfortunately, I go on my honeymoon the same time she'll be going for treatment, but I have every confidence, especially with her positive attitude about the treatment, that she'll be fine.
I send each of you a hug for your kindness, and will keep you posted.
Arctic-Mermaid, I'm glad your mom is doing better.

My photos
Go to Top of Page

Mean Mama
Permanent Resident

USA
1138 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  1:06:40 PM  Show Profile Send Mean Mama a Private Message
One of the things we learn in life, whether we wanted to or not, is that life goes on every day. Your mom will move to therapy and you have every reason to believe she will do well with it. It is your time now to be away with your husband! Being on "autopilot" for weeks on end is so stressful that a vacation would be ideal for anyone in your situation. Few people actually get to do that, however. A preplanned HONEYMOON is better yet!!!!

OF COURSE you will not forget what is going on at home; how could you? YOu can stay in touch as much as you need to, but I'll bet your mom will be happy you are going!

-- Mean Mama
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  5:52:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
Hi Lori;
Sounds like your mum is improving too. Great stuff. It will make your mother happy to see you go on vacation. I believe that too.
Best wishes
Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  7:12:00 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Lori,

Any more news on your Mum and I hope you had a lovely honeymoon.

Rose.
Go to Top of Page

knittherapy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  08:31:22 AM  Show Profile  Send knittherapy a Yahoo! Message Send knittherapy a Private Message
Hi all,
My mom is stable right now. She's going to be stuck in the hospital in Madison until May, when she will (hopefully) be transferred to Maryland for treatment. I saw her yesterday, and we were talking about how they are going to transfer her (plane, helicopter, etc.), and she said they're hoping by plane, but it depends on her platelet count. Her best bet would be by charter plane, but who can afford that?! She jokingly said, "Write to Oprah and ask if John Travolta would come and fly me there!" So I did!
No harm in asking, right?
P.S. Leaving on honeymoon Friday, will miss KR and all of you!

My photos
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  7:26:08 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Lori,

Have a happy honeymoon and we'll hear from you when you return.

Rose.
Go to Top of Page

knittherapy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  07:34:11 AM  Show Profile  Send knittherapy a Yahoo! Message Send knittherapy a Private Message
Good news! My mom had the "experimental" stem cell treatment, and she's coming home today! What a long month this has been, but she did fantastically. The doctors said she has done the best so far, no infections or fevers from the chemo! Her platelet count has been going up on it's own for the first time in YEARS.
I may have to find a way to personally thank those wonderful doctors in Bethesda, Maryland for saving my mom's life.

Today is a great day .

Lori [img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]

My knitting photos
I'm blogging now!
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  08:07:50 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Lori,

Thank God your mother is on the mend. Pity about John Travolta not being able to pick her up, maybe he'll drop around for a cuppa instead.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  08:29:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message
Lori,
I will keep you and your Mom in my thoughts and prayers.
Dorene
Go to Top of Page

Mean Mama
Permanent Resident

USA
1138 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  08:36:30 AM  Show Profile Send Mean Mama a Private Message
hey--if you don't need John anymore, send him around to my place, would you?

-- Mean Mama
Go to Top of Page

knittherapy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  08:49:08 AM  Show Profile  Send knittherapy a Yahoo! Message Send knittherapy a Private Message

Lori [img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]

My knitting photos
I'm blogging now!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth