Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 How Much Do You Spend on Patterns?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mk.carroll
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  2:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit mk.carroll's Homepage Send mk.carroll a Private Message
After some discussion on what knitting pattern designers get paid (or don't), I'm curious: how much do you spend on patterns, magazines, and books? Say every 6 months or so. What do you think an ideal price range is? Where do you purchase most of your patterns (LYS, bookstore, online store, etc.)?

[If there's an existing thread covering this subject that I've missed in my search, my apologies - please point me in the right direction. The Would You/Could You Photocopy thread includes lots of discussion of copyright and some discussion of what designers and book authors may get for their work - what I'm interested in, for this thread, is a focus on how much individual knitters spend on patterns, magazines, and books.]

My purchases in the last 6 months:
downloaded from Kate Gilbert's site: Bunny and Shining Star, total $9.90
from KnitPicks.com: Debbie New's Unexpected Knitting and Barbara Walker's Treasuries vols. 2 and 4, total $95.
Large chain bookstore: Reader's Digest Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet Stitches, $26.95. First issue of Knit1, $5.99. Holiday VK, $5.99.
Red Lipstick webshop: KnitKnit #4, $9.00
Domestic Affair blog: Take Back The Knit zine, $5.00
Well-concealed cash in envelope to Aimee: Slave to the Needles zine, issue 2, $3.00

By my reckoning, that's $160.83. Over the next 6 months, I plan to spend roughly $30 - $50, depending on what the magazines look like. The biggest purchases (the stitch pattern books and Debbie New's book) were "investment" buys for me, so I'm not likely to be making large purchases like that again anytime soon.

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  3:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Several years ago, I was returning to knitting-in-earnest, and was spending a couple hundred a month on books and patterns. Now, it varies. I have dozens of books, and only buy the new ones that really interest me, especially since I started designing my own sweaters and jackets a couple of years ago.

If you have the $$ and it makes you happy, go for it. Just think - it could have been crack...

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  3:11:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
I go on kicks of buying a ton of patterns/books and then I stop for a while. It seems silly because I create a lot of my own patterns or change the commercial ones, but I can't help it. I agree with Lissa, if you can afford it, go for it. Then again, I'm a pretty good enabler.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1350 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  3:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
I don't really spend money on patterns at all. I subscribe to Interweave Knits and have made one item from a pattern there. I have books but mainly buy things as resources for techniques, not as patterns. I either design things myself or use online patterns.
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  3:38:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
I subscribe to Creative Knitting and occasionally (rarely?) buy other magazines at bookstore. My sister gave me a pattern book for my birthday last year, haven't made anything out of it but swatched one of the afghans and am going to do a variation of it. Most of my patterns come from free internet sites or free at my LYS.
Go to Top of Page

amandaCO
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  3:48:35 PM  Show Profile Send amandaCO a Private Message
My best answer to this question is "it depends". Some months I buy nothing, some months I spend $200. On average, over the last ten years I probably spend approx $200/6mo. I try to buy most of my patterns/books/magazines at LYS. Except for the three subscriptions I already have. I do not buy many pattern leaflets (ie: Fiber Trends and the like). At $4-$7 each these patterns seem so expensive when I can buy a whole magazine at the same price. That said, I will buy highly innovative leaflet patterns.
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  3:56:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
I rarely spend anything. I can usually figure it out with just a picture. I also spend LOTS of time at the library, and will use patterns from the books there.

However, if I see a pattern with really unique shaping or stitches that I can't figure out on my own, I'd be willing to pay up to $15 for it.

-Wendy
... __ ____ ____
, o`,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
```)( | | | | | | | || |l
,.- ,.-~~-., `-. :

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."

-Joshua 24:15b
Go to Top of Page

blazfglori
Permanent Resident

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  4:21:39 PM  Show Profile Send blazfglori a Private Message
I LOVE books and magazines!

I probably spend about $100 PER MONTH on them...they make me happy. :)

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  4:40:32 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message

I don't spend much on patterns, as many of my old favourites are patterns which have been cut out of magazines like the English Woman's Weekly, and filed.

I occasionally buy knitting magazines and pattern books; as I don't do this on a regular basis, I really can't say exactly how much I would spend.

Leslie
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  5:12:17 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
If I include my monthly sock kit, anywhere from $50.00 to $150.00. On average, including all books and magazines purchased it's about $70.00

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  5:31:33 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
blazfglori: Me too, Me too, Me too. Books make me happy when I'm feeling down. It's great to get lost in them, daydreaming and planning a "someday when I win the lottery" project (or 50 or 60).
Go to Top of Page

midnightskyfibers
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  6:09:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit midnightskyfibers's Homepage Send midnightskyfibers a Private Message
I spend maybe 100 in 6 mnths, not counting my interweave subscription and other mags i pick up. banus points though if i can get someone to give it to me as a gift!

http://www.midnightskyfibers.com handspun and handpainted yarns, fibers, and kits.
Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  7:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
HI,

LOL! I'm a collector (had a huge book collection before I started knitting, now its worse!) When I worked full time outside the house I'd spend somewhere between 50-100/mo on knitting books, magazines and patterns (in addition to other books and yarn).

Now that I work from home and have a more limited income and a baby on the way, I don't buy as much. Also I have a lot of pattern, technique and stitch books including a small collection of rare/out of print or old books.

I do have subscriptions for Vogue, Interweave knits, Spin off and a few other things. Plus, with the business I get copies of all the latest knitting and spinning books from Interweave and I've started carrying the Fiber Trends Patterns . . . This job does have its perks ;)

For my own shopping though, I'm spending maybe $100/quarterly on books/patterns now. Depends on what I find . . .

I had read your question, originally to be asking what people think is a fair price to pay for an individual pattern so I'll answer that also, just in case it was the question. I generally will spend between $3.50 and $7 on an individual pattern, provided it has something really interesting or teaches me something.

Hope that helps!

Martheme

visit my sites:
http://www.inspirationsyarn.com & http://martheme.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JaniceV
Chatty Knitter

USA
338 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  7:27:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit JaniceV's Homepage  Send JaniceV a Yahoo! Message Send JaniceV a Private Message
Books Books Books, Magazines Magazines all my big down fall. I have a huge bookcase full of them. I love books period so knitting just gave me another area to shop in at the book stores. I have bought individual patterns at my LYS, but never paid more than $5.00 for one. I don't even want to add up what I have spent just this week.

Janice
Go to Top of Page

Diva Ree
Gabber Extraordinaire

537 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  7:44:40 PM  Show Profile Send Diva Ree a Private Message
I'm a book ho and I'm the type that will buy buy buy, then go for a while without buying any at all. I do the same with patterns. I'll have a stint where I buy a lot in a short time, then I go into hibernation for a bit.

I don't want to know how much I have invested in books....it might make me face the fact that I have an addiction. LOL
Go to Top of Page

llamafiber4
Chatty Knitter

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  8:03:26 PM  Show Profile Send llamafiber4 a Private Message
Oh this is my favorite place in the bookstore,I love knitting books, I too used to spend maybe 50>100. in 6months but since we've retired and moved to the country where the stores are far far away. I don't spend that much at all. and for patterns maybe 3.50 or more if I really will use. My problem I get it home and in the files it goes with my stash. Debbie

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

knit_cookie
Gabber Extraordinaire

388 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  02:18:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit knit_cookie's Homepage Send knit_cookie a Private Message
Oh geez. I binge and fast when it comes to shopping for pretty much anything. Except yarn where there's always a steady inward flow. :) I probably spent over $500 on knitting books in the past 6 months. But I've been on a massive binge. On average, it's hard to say. Maybe $100? Knitting books are easier for me to justify than yarn.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  02:29:25 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I used to spend lots but now only buy an occasional knitting magazine. I doubt if I spend even $5 a month. But, for me, that is not a fair question because I can knit anything I want without a pattern. I would not hesitate to buy one if it had a new element or unique design. I would spend a lot for a pattern I really wanted but for a pattern just because I don't want to bother to figure it out...only about $5.00.

fran
Go to Top of Page

homebodyknits
Seriously Hooked

USA
713 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  05:16:20 AM  Show Profile Send homebodyknits a Private Message
I used to buy something everytime I went shopping. Now I have so many patterns in my files and you can find so many on line I don't need to spend money on patterns, just yarn. I also look at many patterns and then end up doing my own thing. I buy an occasional magazine to look through, but that's about it.

Homebody Knits

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end the faster it goes.

http://www.picturetrail.com/knitsbykathy
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  07:48:18 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
I subscribe to 3 magazines - Vogue, Interweave K and Knitter's. Other than that I like the Vittadini publications and the Jamieson's shetland books. I have shelves of other books - the Folk series (Folk Shawls, Folk Bags, Folk Vests etc.), designers I like (Alice Starmore, Jean Moss) and specialized topics (Scandinavian knitting, lace knitting). But I have a fairly complete library and other than the magazines seldom buy new books.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  08:46:53 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
Oh dear. I don't even know how to quantify this one. I own a bookstore, and lets just say that there is a fluid relationship between the store and my house. In that respect, pretty much any book from a general publisher that has at least one pattern I would consider making does not hesitate to come home with me. Then I subscribe to several magazines, but will probably let all of them run out except for IK, VK and Rowan. Then I always buy every new issue of Rebecca, every issue of Phildar that includes English translations, many Rowan books, many Jaeger books, the occasional Vittadini book, and pretty much any other pattern book that has at least one pattern I want to make. I hear a lot of people say they won't buy a pattern book for only one pattern, but to me, if I want that pattern, then I want that pattern! I guess I'm not much into depriving myself of things. I certainly don't have time to knit all of these patterns, but looking through them and dreaming about my next projects is worth the investment to me. I don't think I could possibly pin down an exact dollar amount, and I'm kind of afraid to try.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep; his cupidity may at some point be satiated: but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?