Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 How do you incorporate knitting into your day?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

jmweis
Chatty Knitter

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  06:31:47 AM  Show Profile Send jmweis a Private Message
Hello Everyone,
I have only been knitting a little over 2 years, but I have fallen completely in love with knitting and quite obssessed. I try to figure out how to incorporate knitting into my daily life, where I am currently a graduate student. I have learned to knit while I walk to school, and I have learned to knit while I read (at least with simple patterns). When I get up early, I knit before I go to school, and I also knit in the evening while dinner is cooking. I have become so obssessed that I am get excited if I have to go somewhere that I will have to wait in line, because it gives me time to knit .

So I was wondering how everyone else incorporated knitting into your daily lives?

Thanks
Jennifer

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2037 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  07:54:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Jennifer, you go, girl! You are inventive in your ability to find moments to knit. Knitting while you read - I am awestruck for folks like you who can do that.
One of the folks at the Retreat (sorry I forget exactly who - was that you, Liz?) said that she always has a project w/her, socks are so portable & because there are traffic jams she encounters or may encounter, she has her knitting w/her so she can take advantage of the "I'm stopped in traffic" time.
An idea that I have incorporated in my routine is one I read in a quilt magazine from a fellow quilter: if she is unable to work on a quilt project, she tries to read about quilting (or in our case, knit) in a magazine or book. I also count this time on the days that my hands are not feeling up to much handwork. It may be stretching the "time to knit" idea & that's OK - the education & creativity goddesses have needs to be met too.

Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  08:03:58 AM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
I take the train to & from work each day (about a 50 minute ride each way) so I get a lot of my knitting done on the train. We also have a cafeteria at work and I meet up with 2 other fellow knitters. We eat lunch and then work on our projects. It's been great having our own little "knit club" at work because we spur each other on to finish our projects. We lend needles to each other, swap yarn, patterns, etc. I really look forward to lunch time. There aren't any LYSs close to me so I don't get to meet other knitters very often.

I have a 3 year old so it's next to impossible to knit while I'm at home if he's awake. All I hear is "Momma, look at me. Momma, no knitting! Momma, make me a puppet. Momma, I want a red sweater" UGH! I wait until he goes to bed but I'm usually so tired by then that if I start to knit, I get my second wind and then I can't go to sleep...LOL.

So, most of my stuff is done during my commute & at lunch. I love working on circulars & DPNs now because I can even knit on the train platform (when it's not freezing/rainy/snowy).

--Kristin
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  09:10:00 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Wonderful topic Jennifer! I recently read a similar post on another forum and there were so many great ideas for knitting "here and there" whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Just, yesterday I got one of my canvas bags out and "outfitted" it for the car, so that whenever I have any kind of wait, whether in traffic, or doctors office, dentist, any appointments at all, I will have it packed and ready to knit on! I put one pair of socks I'm currently working on (I also have 2 others), and my little blankie for my kitties that I want to finish. It's not a large blanket, so it's portable.

I also put a pair of dpns, a crochet hook, a couple of point protectors, a pen, a small tablet, and some ring markers. I figured that these things should cover any "Yikes, I need ???? it now" types of articles.

Hugs, Patience
Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  09:15:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
This is a great topic.

I have been known to knit on the subway platform, in the train car, walking down the street, in the elevator to the office. I generally don't take a lunch break so instead, I surf the knit blogs, Kniter's Review and other knitting sites when I have a little down time in the office. In my spare time, I will knit at my friends' apartments during movie night, in movie theatres, in the park, in cafes and anywere else that my hands are free.

Man, I think I need to get to that 12-step program.

http://marneysworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katxena
Chatty Knitter

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  09:20:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit katxena's Homepage Send katxena a Private Message
I knit on the go -- I usually have several projects going at once, and I keep these in zippered plastic bags (the kind that pillow shams and sheets come in), along with any project specific tools (like a cable needle). Then I keep my "tools" in a small pencil bag.

When I leave in the morning, I pick up a project and my tool bag and go. Which project depends on where I'm at in the project (is it at a point where I can easily memorize what needs to be done?) and my mood.

Then I knit while my husband drives us to work. I knit a few minutes in my office at lunch time. I knit after work while waiting for hubby. I knit in line during the day or when my computer is processing something. I knit while dinner is cooking, and I knit whenever I watch TV (it feels like less of a time sink that way!).

Kris
http://www.papaya-palace.com
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  09:38:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
I knit everywhere I can. I have simple projects in the car for traffic lights while I'm driving - I love red lights! I always use wood needles so when I have to put it down in a hurry I'm not likely to loose stitches. I have projects to knit when we drive to NY from MD and back - one for daylight driving and one for when I can't see (stockinette stitch that normally bores me). I have projects for TV watching, for boating - you name the activity and I have my knitting along. On my commute to work I listen to books on tape, so I really don't mind traffic these days, and then if we go slow enough I pull out my sock and knit - I almost don't care how late I am! Happy knitting!

Go to Top of Page

JoyLinn383
Sustaining Member

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  10:00:37 AM  Show Profile Send JoyLinn383 a Private Message
I keep my "mindless knitting project" with me all the time and have been known to knit while in traffic jams on the Lodge Freeway and Telegraph in Detroit. I also take it with me when I go to Handbell practice. I can get several rows done on a baby blanket while waiting to ring! I call it "Quality Knitting Time".

Joy Linn
'A Joyful Heart is Like Good Medicine'
Go to Top of Page

pqpatch
Seriously Hooked

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  11:02:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit pqpatch's Homepage Send pqpatch a Private Message
I accomplish most of my knitting at night watching tv. Especially the Detroit Redwings!! I also like to knit while traveling. The only problem is I am on vacation and have finished my project I brought with me and now have nothing to do. I am going bonkers not having something in my hands at night. I hate to go out and bye new needles to do something as I have tons of then at home. Oh well next time I'll know to bring more.

Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  12:08:07 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message
I like to knit during Packer, or other, football games. My husband feels like I'm spending time with him (reading in the same room as a man seems to make them feel excluded, have you noticed that?). If anything exciting happens on the screen, they almost always replay it. Then my husband can explain it to me (despite being a football orphan, I never seem to understand what is happening).

So it's a win/win situation. I get 2 - 3 hours of knitting time while making my husband happy. Pretty good, huh?

I also knit while he plays video games. When he does play, he usually plays for a few hours at a time.

Finally, this thread has made me realize that I usually manage to knit for half an hour before I get ready for work at 2:30pm on work days. Pre-work therapy?

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  1:50:45 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I started to say, "Man, these people need help!" Then I realized that I'm sitting here knitting while reading the forum (a simple garter stitch scarf), I always have my bag of knitting with me in case I have to wait, yesterday I was knitting at the red lights and getting annoyed when I approached a light and it was green, I have my mindless project on my desk at work so I can pick it up if I have to talk on the phone, I can't wait to get home so I can work on the house socks I started for my husband (he's teaching a class tonight so I can work without him seeing them), and I'm thinking fo starting the sweater for him even though I said I would wait until after Christmas when I get the gifts done but I don't think I can wait that long and oh what about that new yarn and pattern I got for the cable sweater for myself,... but I said I would do that other sweater first and I have just got to get back to that pair of socks I started on the 2 circulars.........

Actually, I don't like to knit while driving. I have this mental image of a newspaper headline "Woman impaled by knitting needle after airbag deploys. Police siad she would have survived the crash if not for the knitting needles."

Another reason to hire a chauffeur.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  2:09:56 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
I don't have a long commute - only a 12 minute drive to work, and there's NO traffic and only a couple lights, so that's out for me. I also never knit at my desk...I don't think Father John would take kindly to that. But I do knit every spare moment I can steal!.

I knit at lunch while Tony is sending out resumes and after supper for a couple hours while the tv is on. If supper is long cooking (meatloaf, mac&cheese, etc.) I'll knit while it's baking. I try to take my knitting if we're going to be more than 15 minutes in the car going some where, but I usually have to navigate, so I can't always knit. I knit every waking minute I can on the weekends, sometimes actually stopping for a few minutes to clean the house, do laundry or cook. Part of my job is to register our parish's vehicles when that time comes, and I *always* take my knitting to the DMV. If I go in there empty handed, I'm there for hours. If I take my knitting, I'm out in 15 minutes. I always end up telling people that when they comment on my knitting there...one of these days, I'm going to go in there and there will be 50 people sitting in those plastic chairs knitting, listening to "Now serving D254 at window number 8". What a picture!

chris (who NEVER knits during Mass!)

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

Allyn
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  2:17:32 PM  Show Profile Send Allyn a Private Message

Actually, I don't like to knit while driving. I have this mental image of a newspaper headline "Woman impaled by knitting needle after airbag deploys. Police siad she would have survived the crash if not for the knitting needles."

This thought always scares me too! My DH terrifies me when he drives so I always bring knitting to take my mind off the impending road disasters. The choice between watching him wander aimlessly across the road and being impaled by my needles is forever in the back of my mind...LOL! Get lots of knitting done when we travel. The other problem is that he won't knit his share when I take the wheel.
I also carry knitting to anything that promises a wait and look forward to mindless TV watching and an excuse to knit.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
[/quote]

Go to Top of Page

djfleesh
Chatty Knitter

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  3:21:35 PM  Show Profile Send djfleesh a Private Message
you ladies are too much!

i can't say that i have ever knitted while driving, that makes me a little jumpy thinking about it. i get plenty of knitting done in the morning before work. i am a disc jockey, so i get plenty done at work, and at home in the evening when i watch the news. i always have a project with me for those times when i wait. the only place i wouldn't is at religious services. but in waiting rooms, in the car when someone else is driving, long supermarket lines, and at other people's houses, no problem!

fleesh

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  3:23:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I too am one who can't knit on the commute. And I have to be careful not to bring my knitting to work because it's too easy to goof off instead of doing my job. My office has a door on it. So I may bring something to work to show a friend at lunch, but it stays in the car the rest of the day.

My knitting time is early in the morning. - I have 1-2 hours before anybody gets up but me and those hours are mine. Lately I've done more spinning than knitting but it's all fiber sliding over my fingers. There are some evening and weekend hours and of course, if DH is driving I get to knit. It seems like 14 hour a week ought to be enough, but somehow it just isn't. sigh.

Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  4:12:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
You all are making my fingers jumpy! I'm sitting here reading all these tales of knitting-with-each-breath, and I'm awed and envious and on top of that -- pooped! Sounds like socks are the way to go here, if I have any hope of keeping up with you...
Jane

Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  4:19:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
P.S. Sometimes I "incorporate knitting into my day" by looking across the room at my knitting basket.

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  4:42:31 PM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
I keep a no brainer project in my purse or sportsbag, something like a kids hat or Tecnohair scarf on circulars. No complicated patterns! I knit when I'm a passenger, waiting for appointments, on the phone at work, or my lunch break. At home, I do simple knitting while yakking on the phone. Since I have no kids and rarely watch tv, I have lots of time to knit if I want to. If I have a project, I can concentrate on it as long as I want to at home. I prefer to keep the no-brainers for filling in time during my work day. I get a lot of kids hats done that way! I don't like to use my at home time for simple projects. And I've even knitted in the tub!

Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  4:42:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
My commute is a blessed 8-10 minutes, so no knitting time there. Like Bess, I wake up early, thanks to Alarm Cat and Sgt. Yorkie, who were programmed to rise at 5:30 by my husband when he was working. I love my quiet time at 5 or 5:30 a.m., with my coffee and my knitting, before my husband wakes up. It's my spiritual time - I keep thinking I should do something more formally spiritual, then realize I already AM praying as I knit. I also knit in front of the tv, and since I'm a shamelessly low-stress knitter (stockinette isn't mindless, it's SOOTHING! ) I can get a lot done that way. My evening motto - if I'm afraid to drink a beer while working on it, I ain't working on it! And while I'm at it, God bless Carol Anderson and her Wonderful Wallaby pattern, I've done one for my daughter and I'm halfway through one for me. All that lovely round and round knitting, boring to some, is like meditation for me!

Go to Top of Page

lacelover
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  5:40:45 PM  Show Profile Send lacelover a Private Message
Oh, ladies - the things we do. Yes, I, too, have knitted while waiting for particularly long red lights. I have a short commute to work so there's never time to get in a few stitches. Occasionally when I have stopped for groceries on the way home from work, I will find myself at a long stop light and pull out the sock to knit in a few stitches. Alas, now it is dark when I leave work - so, no I don't knit - in the car - in the dark. But I do as soon as I get home! I always take some knitting or needlepoint to work with me. I work in a retail setting and am the manager so if I'm alone and the store is quiet I will get out my knitting. Like American Express, I never leave home without it. I now have my socks that I carry with me when I leave the house, and I have my socks and my shawl and my scarf that I work on at home. I get the most done on the weekends - love that early Saturday morning knitting! I'm an early riser so I usually try to knit a little while I have my morning cup of tea before I get ready for work. It's a great way to start the day - as I'm sure you would all agree! It's also a great way to end the day! Be careful in the car!

Melinda - Knitting Again in Georgia
Go to Top of Page

CCR
Gabber Extraordinaire

375 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  6:04:43 PM  Show Profile Send CCR a Private Message
Sometimes I feel like I incorporate my day into my knitting!

Seriously, though, I do find I bring my knitting along the way I used to bring my current book along. I read MUCH less now that I have gotten hooked on knitting.

I have learned to knit in the passenger seat in the car without feeling sick, never watch TV anymore without knitting in my hands, and look forward to waiting at school for dismissal as stolen knitting time. In fact, I no longer resent waiting anywhere if my knitting is with me.

Carin

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.