Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 How do you incorporate knitting into your day?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2309 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  6:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I have found a new time to knit, while my youngest two are taking piano and guitar lessons. I sit in the car and knit away for a half hour. Their lessons are an hour apart, so I get a whole hour in. Sometimes, I have to go in the house at piano, as it may be cold or windy and not pleasant to sit outside, but I can still knit. Piano teacher is a knitter, so I have to try not to monopolize her time while she's teaching. Trips are great for lots of knitting, too! And, watching reruns at night with the family is a great time, too. Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

Jenanne
Chatty Knitter

154 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  6:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jenanne's Homepage Send Jenanne a Private Message
I tend to knit a bit all day long. I always have a project ready to care along in my knitting bag (usually socks, but sometimes a sweater or a scarf or what have you). We travel for our living (buying trips), and while I'm the driver and don't knit in a moving car, I do knit while waiting for my husband while he's shopping. I've also spent hours knitting while waiting for them to clear an accident, spill or other problem on the highway. Finally, I'll knit in the evening while the family watches the telly together. I don't care for the telly - and its the only way to keep me anchored in the room while everyone else watches. For some reason, they all like me there while the evening TV ritual is going on... so I knit!

--
Jenanne
http://www.jenanne.com/blogger.htm
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  8:26:39 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
quote:

And I've even knitted in the tub!

Now this beats all! How do you do that? I have this image of you finishing up a project in the tub, dipping it in the water to wash it, then getting out and blocking it! Do you use Eucalan for a bubble bath! This is too funny!

Anita, loving this thread!

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  9:19:04 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
As a retired person I knit when I feel like it. If the laundry facilities are tied up in the building where I live I go to the laundromat and do what I do best, read, knit and wash clothes. Actually the clothes do themselves and I sit there and knit and read. If I didn't spend so much time on the computer I would knit lots more. Now about the person in the tub--I thought I had knit everyplace but then I am not a tub person and I don't think it would work in the shower--it could but I am not getting into that. I am not sure how you would get washed! It congers a picture though. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  08:48:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
The ultimate double tasking there - spin the yarn, knit it, and come out of the tub with a felted cloth! LOL

Like Bess, I don't allow myself to take knitting to work anymore. When I worked evenings I was alone in the building a lot, and very often knit there, but now that I'm here with psycho-boss, I don't dare give her another thing to nit at me about. And my 3-mile commute doesn't allow for much knitting there either, though I think I'd be too scared to knit while driving even if I were at a stoplight.

Yesterday I discovered a bank error that cost me $50 (and I'm seriously broke, so that would be the money that was going to be Christmas gifts this year!) that they are currently refusing to fix. It was all I could do to not leave early and go home and knit. I settled with cuddling my retreat bear (Aloyisius) on my lap for a little while I worked at my desk, stroking his sweater, but it was torture. And of course there's not time for me to start knitting gifts for everyone. A hat for my cousin who's 16, Ken's son will get the remainder of my money because I don't think a 10 year old needs to be told that there's not money for Christmas, but everyone else will just have to understand that Christmas will come VERY late this year.

Had a mild breakdown on the phone with Ken last night (while knitting, of course) - anyone want to hire me to a radio station in Maryland or Virginia????

UGH. I'm getting depressed again just thinking of it. I need to go find something to knit. Maybe there's a strangler WIP in my car.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

janeknits
Warming Up

98 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  09:23:58 AM  Show Profile Send janeknits a Private Message
My friends think I'm nuts because I'm SO excited that we're finally getting a bus between my neighborhood and downtown Birmingham. I hate the 30- to 45-minutes-each-way drive. But beginning next Monday I will be able to knit mornings and afternoon while I commute by bus!!

As of now, I take knitting -- usually a sock, since they're small enough to tuck in a pocket or in my backpack -- whenever I leave the house. Waiting time becomes productive time when I have knitting along. And I really look forward to long trips when DH and I share the driving, because the minute he takes the wheel I take up my sticks and yarn. If I don't knit at lunch, I check out knitting web sites or plan future projects.

Jane

Go to Top of Page

Elsa
Chatty Knitter

154 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  09:45:28 AM  Show Profile Send Elsa a Private Message
I love to knit while I do the laundry in town. Anything that requires waiting, I'll bring my knitting. The wait for the movie to start, the doctors office, waiting for the oil to be changed in my car, 1 hour photos, and if my hunny is inside at the hardware store the knitting comes with! I'll even admit I just went home to visit my folks in Sonoma county and I decided not to drive, so I could knit during my journey. I took 2 Amtrack busses and a train for a total of 7 traveling hours, and I didn't mind a bit! I half finished a really cute black boucle scarf that my girlfriend promptly claimed when she picked me up at the station. Gotta love it!

Elsa

Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  12:55:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Okay, I will try this again.

I have been knitting for about 6 months....My first project, I have abandoned as I am no longer interested in it, the yarn is not now what I thought it was....and I have lots of other ideas for way better projects.

Just finished my first sweater which is way bulkier than I would have liked but I have not blocked it yet, it may calm down a little yet.

Mostly my knitting is in the evening. With sewing, I have to lock myslef away from 2yo DS and DH(who should know better). (My greatest fear is that DS will climb into my lap while sewing, and stick his fingers into the needle, ruining my fabric.) With knitting, I can be right there....but still feel productive. Sometimes, DS tells me NO KNITTING and shows me where to place it so that it is safe while I play with him. Very cute. Sometimes, though he climbs into my lap to 'knit' taking up the needles and putting them together or into the yarn. I can't wait until he has the dexterity to learn for real. For now, though he watches.

The best part of my day now is the knitting, mainly because it is the only time of day when I feel creative and the only time when the voices are off. (yes voices! like my mother, my father, etc.) I have a thinking management type job, where I DO very little, mostly talk with everyone else and go to meetings. I really wish that I had a more active role in the world, through creation or instruction....but not this week. The sad part is that I spend my day thinking about my knitting. Too much air time and not enough knitting.

I have been considering knitting while on conference calls, but am afraid that it may be misconstrued as slacking off or worse. Of course I could start taking calls at home....

Go to Top of Page

babs
New Pal

48 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  2:44:13 PM  Show Profile Send babs a Private Message
Okay.....I'm as bad as the rest of you....sitting here knitting while reading each and everyone of your posts. I started knitting in my car today at red lights, first time for that. I hardly clean my house, haven't done much yard work and really don't read very much anymore. Except for those texts books....classes get in the way. And work..I've tried to get my boss excited about knitting and she has picked it up after 20 years away from it.

All the wool I bought at Graves Mt. Lodge is resting on a chair in my bedroom, looking pretty. I'm making felted bags for my daughter and several neices. They look so beautiful.

I've tried to knit at soccer games but my son will later ask me if I saw such and such a play...well?????

Happy knitting to you all!

Babs
Go to Top of Page

juliana
New Pal

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2002 :  03:09:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit juliana's Homepage Send juliana a Private Message
I would have to be the worst traveller so just the thought of knitting in the car makes me feel car sick.
I have 3 year old twin girls and they have finally got to the age where they will let me knit. I always have my knitting on hand and as soon as they go off to play I pull it out. It has to be a project that I can put down easily, and I try to stick to circulars as someone tugging on the end of your needle while you are working, or pulling the needle out of your work, is most distressing. I find knitting throughout the day when I get the chance helps to keep me calm, as 2-3 year olds can be quite a challenge at times.
I also have the added bonus of having an online yarn business, so I can knit all day and say that I am working

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2002 :  12:41:11 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Here's a tip. I've found that if I'm knitting something on long straight needles while reding my emil or a forum I can use the end of the right needle to hit the arrow keys to scroll down a page or advance to the next email without ever taking my hands off my knitting. I only put it down to type!

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2002 :  3:42:25 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
pqpatch - GO LEAFS GO! They're currently going down the drain, but I refuse to give up hope! Should be a barn burner Saturday night if Cujo plays! I do a lot of knitting while listening to games on the radio; if I watch on the telly I get too caught up to knit. I knit at work during lunch, and often for a couple hours after work while waiting for my DH to pick me up if he has to get anyhting from the office. I usually knit from 10PM to 2 or 3AM because I don't have to wake up until 9AM. I manage to get about 2 pairs of socks done per week.

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

rhelly
Warming Up

53 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2002 :  3:21:30 PM  Show Profile Send rhelly a Private Message
my fiancee is a soccer coach and i will usually knit on the way to soccer games/tournaments in the car. let's just say that after all the times i've smacked him with the straight needles that he is very thankful for circulars!
i too am a graduate student, working full time, and running a dance club so i am thankful for this topic because i try to fit knitting in whenever i can, even if it means knitting on lunch break at my desk. my friends especially like it when i knit during football sundays! don't get me wrong.. i love football terribly, however my fiancee and our friends (who are mainly sports fanatic men) get a kick out of it when i cheer and boo at the tv rooting for my favorite team (which by the way is the MN vikings) while holding a long scarf knitting project in my hands! personally, i like this time because when my team does idiotic things i can throw the ball of yarn at the tv without too much damage!

Go to Top of Page

JoyLinn383
Sustaining Member

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2002 :  4:40:05 PM  Show Profile Send JoyLinn383 a Private Message
How I wish that I had some of your commutes of only 10-15 minutes!! An hour drive both ways leaves alot ahead of you that can happen, thus leaving time for knitting in a traffic back-up (especially during the winter when accidents are a daily occurance on my drive). I can knit while watching anything on tv EXCEPT the Redwings (I get too involved in the game and forget where I am in the knitting!)
I found myself thinking about this topic more and realized that I have my little bag with me almost anywhere! I caught myself reaching for it in between Sunday School and Church. I also had a scarf in my lap that I was working on while the hygienist was polishing my teeth the other day! It was then that I realized that I have an addiction...

Joy Linn
'A Joyful Heart is Like Good Medicine'
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2002 :  9:02:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
quote:

I try to figure out how to incorporate knitting into my daily life, where I am currently a graduate student. I have learned to knit while I walk to school, and I have learned to knit while I read (at least with simple patterns).

From one graduate student to another--the key is to knit DURING class. Just sit back, listen, and knit. You'll know it's really important if you have to take notes.

One hint--use circs or bamboo instead of aluminum. If you drop a needle it makes a horrible clanging sound.

Go to Top of Page

welshladygwen@citlink.net
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2002 :  9:46:33 PM  Show Profile Send welshladygwen@citlink.net a Private Message
Hi, I'm Jennifer from NV & the Fall weather has gotten me back to knitting. I've been spinning up a storm ... having dyed & blended soy silk & Suffolk wool [from my very own sheep]... oooh, I love this stuff! I'm planning to spin a sufficient amount for a Fair Isle sweater... well, plain body, Fair Isle accents.
Meanwhile, I'm knitting socks out of thrums from an old weaving project... teaching a sock knitting class, too. [Sort of, what do we DO with all this yarn we've been spinning!]
I learned to knit 4 yrs ago while spending alot of time in waiting rooms. Socks were the perfect medium... small, portable, sufficiently engaging to keep my mind off other things. LOL They're still my favourite item to knit.
I spin & knit almost every day. The challenge is keeping things sufficiently "cleaned up" around my loveseat to knit without guilt. <G> Yrs, Jennifer in NV
Go to Top of Page

patt711
New Pal

32 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2002 :  01:09:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit patt711's Homepage Send patt711 a Private Message
I love reading about all you addicts...uh, fellow addicts. I knit whenever my husband is driving (keeps me from either gasping or "back-seat driving"--also keeps me married!), while watching TV at night, and have knit at the Giants baseball games this year.
Believe it or not, I tried to get my knitting into the Rolling Stones concert this week, but they wouldn't allow the needles in the arena! The security guard almost yelled about me trying to knit at a concert.
I also started a Crafts Corner at work and several of us meet every other week and bring whatever we're working on. It's a relaxing way to spend the late afternoon after work. One of the quilters asked me to teach her to knit after seeing some of my projects.
Have to go now......time to knit!

Go to Top of Page

info@hatternique.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2002 :  06:17:17 AM  Show Profile Send info@hatternique.com a Private Message
Hello all!

Don here. I thought this was such an interesting topic I had to respond. I work for myself at home, as a graphic designer and web developer, and you'd think that would give me more time than most folks. Just the opposite!

I decide over the Summer of 2002 to create a web site where I could sell the knitting and crochet patterns to the hats and caps I'd designed (http://www.hatternique.com) and decided to devote my lunch hour and evenings to this project.

It was interesting how the enjoyement-level of my knitting/crocheting changed once this became business-driven, and wasn't quite as much fun as deadlines approached. Once I got through the initial deadline I'd set for myself for the web site to go live, it became fun again. There's nothing more enjoyable to me than to design a garment, pillow, or hat and work through the visual design and shaping issues.

Anyway, wanted to throw in my 2 cents. Take care!

Don

http://www.hatternique.com/

A unique knitting/crochet cap and hat pattern boutique
Go to Top of Page

jcavin
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2002 :  07:30:39 AM  Show Profile Send jcavin a Private Message
I get into knitting 'binges' and so I keep a project bag handy with a copy of the pattern I am using, the needles it uses, and a ball or two of yarn in it. I use a medium size denim tote bag with pockets on the side and it works perfectly. The handles slip over the arm of my chair when I am in the den, and the bag goes everywhere with me when I go out ... to friends, to the book store where I can browse through the latest knitting magazines and books, and then sit down for a cup of coffee with my knitting. I also take it with me to appointments (dentist, etc.) where the waiting room is a perfect place to knit a few more rows. Fortunately our traffic isn't so bad that I can knit and drive, but the project bag is still in the car beside me for when I get to my destination. Last week, a group of us were going out to golf, but the tee time was delayed, so I grabbed my bag and knit away while we talked.

Joan Cavin
Go to Top of Page

craftydana32@yahoo.com
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2002 :  08:22:09 AM  Show Profile Send craftydana32@yahoo.com a Private Message
If I get to my son's school early, I will go sit in his class and work on a sock or a dishcloth until it is time to leave. I also used to knit when I caught the bus to work.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?