Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 How do you incorporate knitting into your day?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

momary@optonline.net
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2002 :  09:19:53 AM  Show Profile Send momary@optonline.net a Private Message
hi all, I would like to say I have a very structured knitting routine. I have run the gammit from glancing at the yarn stash and hearing the needles calling to meas I dashed to work. All the way to knitting in the car, knitting during lunch, and of course during TV. I once even had a job whch encouraged knitting, as a Rehab Teacher of the Blind teaching leisure skills to clients was part of the package. From that I even learned to tat. I stand in awe of the real fiber artists who spin and weave and knit and crochet. Now I am an Episcopal priest so knitting gives me a project with a beginning and an end. It keeps me sane. peace, mary

Go to Top of Page

Knitnluv
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2002 :  09:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitnluv's Homepage Send Knitnluv a Private Message
I manage to incorporate knitting into my day by having more than one, and therefore more than one kind of, project going at all times.A few weeks ago I think there was a forum about knitting socks. I did not participate in it, but sock knitting is one way I manage to knit everyday. I always have a sock on the needles in my purse. I knit while having my car serviced. I knit while waiting for MD or DDS appts. I knit at WW mtgs (I am a lifer so I see a lifetime of knitting ahead of me.) I knit in all mtgs. In fact I do not join a committee or serve on a board w/out a clear understanding from the leader that I WILL BE KNITTING. I knit in the car (not when driving!), but I do have that sock with me. I was recently in an hour long traffic jam; turned the heel and almost completed the gusset.I
watch very little TV, but I do keep knitting near my TV chair and knit when I do watch the tube. That is when I work on sweaters or other large projects. Finally, I try very hard to take a break for tea around 4 when I am home (the Brits knew what they were doing when they invented afternoon tea) and knit before I start dinner. I keep a cone of cotton yarn next to my bed and often do a few rows on a washcloth in the late PM or early AM while my husband is dressing for work. He dresses, I knit, we chat and drink our coffee. Coffee in bed is a great luxury even if I have to go downstairs to get it first. What do I do with all those washcloths? I tuck them in with baby gifts. I recently included two with boxes we packed for Operation Christmas Child: a project by which children in third world countries are given shoeboxes filled with age appropriate gifts at Christmas time. Back to the sub at hand. There are times when it is very hard to knit every day. Life seems so hectic. I resolved years ago to knit at least one row or one round every day. It is amazing how that calms me and frees up time to knit that second row or second round. Knitting is a blessing. We create and are recreated at the same time. Wow!

Go to Top of Page

BooksAngel
Chatty Knitter

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2002 :  11:40:46 AM  Show Profile Send BooksAngel a Private Message
If any of you attended the book fair in Bloomington, Illinois last weekend, I was the book seller with the small project bag over my arm and the socks on circular needles being knitting between customers.

I got lots knit unfortunately. Last year I took a drop spindle and roving. This time I took two knitting projects. One pair of socks I knit quite a bit on, the other pair sat on a book shelf adding color and a homey feeling to the booth.

No one has mentioned knitting in a tree. When my daughter was little we took books or knitting projects up into one big tree in the yard. It was a great way to spend an afternoon.

For us up north the tree weather is about gone for the winter but the southern knitters can still go try it. It takes a tree with very large limbs that can be sat on as if it was a chair or strattled as if it was a horse. Leaning on the trunk and sitting with legs out straight works also and is the most restful. Remember not to tuck your knitting into any handy hollow crevises. Squirrels are hard on knitting.

Here at the antique and used book shop I have one knitting project that is waiting on the counter so I can work on it when customers are brousing. I get quite a bit worked on that project on a busy day.

Angel

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2002 :  11:49:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Hi! I enjoy this topic, as I knit (or quilt, or embroider or read) almost constantly. I admire the gal who can walk and knit -- that I haven't mastered! I carry a tote, rather than a briefcase, to work, and always have a project on the go. I knit so much on the bus to work that I have been known as "The Lady Who Knits". I have made several friends this way!

I find it best to keep the large, complex stuff at home and work on mittens, sox, or plain knitting (I am currently making myself a cardigan) in transit. Alternatively, I might be carrying a small cross stitch or hand quilting project -- but knitting is definitely my favourite! I also have a 'soul mate' at the office; we share patterns, magazine finds, and trips out at lunchtime to our favourite wool/needlework/fabric shops -- coming back refreshed and ready to face the afternoon. We call it 'going out for endorphins'.
Our colleagues think we are crazy, but we love it!

Here's to handwork!

-- Margaret Blank, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
margblank@shaw.ca

Go to Top of Page

luckygrrl
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2002 :  3:09:46 PM  Show Profile Send luckygrrl a Private Message
I had to chime in, too. My friends call me "the knitting fiend," but they know better than to laugh at me when I pull out my knitting while we're waiting for a table in a restaurant. =)

I have projects by my computer, projects in the car, my "purse" (and I mean this in the loosest definition of the term) is really a large messenger bag always containing a couple of things. Of course, there is the project in the den (for mindless TV knitting)....I could go on and on.

I always suggest renting a movie ratther than going to the theater because it is easier to adjust the lighting, if necessary, at home.

You guys rock! I wish I saw more of us knitting in public! Keep on knitting!

Luckygrrl

Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2002 :  3:49:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message
Hi!

I almost always knit in the evenings while watching TV. Except I usually get in trouble because I get a "second wind" and end up staying up way too late! (I just can't help myself ).

I also always knit when travelling by plane or train (although I haven't brought my knitting with me recently on air travel because I simply could not bear to have to leave it behind at some security gate). I never thought I would be able to knit in the car, because reading makes me car sick, but I've learned recently that I CAN knit in the car (yipee!) if it's something relatively simple (this is especially beneficial because it keeps my mind somewhat off my DH's driving! ... not exactly relaxing being the passenger to a Type-A driver sometimes!).

I also bring it with me to whatever appointments I have -- mine or my kids -- it always seems that when I have my knitting, I never have to wait very long. When I don't have it, I end up waiting forever! (or maybe that's just me ... time flies when I'm knitting so it doesn't feel like I've waited as long ... I don't know!).

I took a train ride from Washington, DC to Boston, MA this past spring, for my cousin's baby shower (she had twin boys ... and received white pullover sweaters with blue stripes and rolled collars, plus matching hats and mittens ... all in washable wool, of course! ). The trip was great ... I knitted all the way up and back, and finished a baby sweater for another cousin. I received alot of looks from people, and quite a few comments and questions. It was rather fun, and made the long trip much better. Now, if they would just serve better food on trains!

Now, I have to admit that I have knitted in the tub, too. Only problem, I usually get so into it that the water gets cold and I turn all pruney ... so I usually don't do that unless I'm really in the mood to pamper myself and can add more hot water as it cools, and really hang out with scented candles (and, blushing here, a CD playing with head phones on ...). What a way to REALLY tune out the world! (my DH caught me once and thought I had absolutely lost my mind! )

Happy Knitting! Jen

"Imagination mixed with vividness becomes reality."
Go to Top of Page

Knitgirl
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2002 :  4:44:37 PM  Show Profile Send Knitgirl a Private Message
You are all toooo coool!

I loved all your stories about where you knit...but I do have to admit that though I have tried many of them, the tub is Not one I have dared to venture!

I have an hour and half commute to work each day...which has really cramped my evening knitting time. especially since most of my driving is on the turnpike. However, have no fear, I am always prepared with knitting in the car if I am ever in a jam.

I too, bring my knitting with me for any appointment I might have because waiting time is knitting time!!

Tonight might be just the night to try that tub knitting as I am home alone...no one to look at me like I am crazy!

Thanks for sharing all of your great stories.

Knitgirl

Go to Top of Page

englishtch
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2002 :  10:02:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit englishtch's Homepage Send englishtch a Private Message
I also knit during football or baseball games or just watching TV. I find it really hard to just sit still and watch something - having knitting in my hands helps me concentrate.

I also have learned to steal a few minutes here and there while I am at school. I always have some sort of scarf going, so I can knit while I'm doing morning duty (watching kids sit in a gym) or during passing periods. The kids I teach (8th grade) are fascinated and I have lots of requests for lessons. The art teacher and I have a shared project where I teach them to knit. My principal even jokes that maybe he had better schedule an inservice so I can finish a project.

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

SusanT
Seriously Hooked

950 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2002 :  11:26:34 AM  Show Profile Send SusanT a Private Message
I knit mostly while watching television, but I've found it a great way to pass time in other situations. Recently, my husband participated in an Ironman triatholon which means I sit around a lot waiting for him at various points. I took my knitting along and even met another knitter. It's interesting the comments and stares you get when knitting in public.

I've also taken it to the dr's office with me and I don't mind the wait as much as I used to.

Go to Top of Page

DebbieRicard@aol.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2002 :  2:32:23 PM  Show Profile Send DebbieRicard@aol.com a Private Message
I have two children that are quite active, so I get a little knitting in while my daughter's at dance class, while she's in soccer practice, while the kids are playing at the park, while my son's making mud pies in the backyard......
Actually yesterday I was doing a craft fair here in Santa Monica and I seemed to get my most interested customers while I was knitting a blue polarspun scarf for my little boy. I was also surprised by how many nice people came up to tell me they were knitters too!!
(Although, at home my husband has said "NO MORE YARN!! NO MORE KNITTING NEEDLES!!" Silly man must not realize I could put something funny in his dinner :D
Of course I never would, but the thought does makes me laugh)
Go to Top of Page

Valerie
Warming Up

59 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2002 :  11:34:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Valerie's Homepage Send Valerie a Private Message
What a great topic!! My knitting and my little tapestry bag are my constant companions...I have a pretty stressful job working in an Intensive
Care Unit of a large hospital so I try to get up extra early and knit
for about an hour or so and it helps prepare me mentally for the day...My little bag with my sock projects is with me on my desk so
when we have conferences out it comes along with lots of other ladies
and we just pray they don't turn the lights off and show some powerpoint slides :)...but there is still enough light to knit if you sit in a few selective seats!! At lunch a bunch of us gather to knit a few rows and then at night I try to do some more as I read the posts here. Actually, the best time was the 4am hockey practices I had to drive my son to before he could drive himself...
and wait there...sure got a lot done during that time!! Now that he drives, I can knit at least one way of the trip to pick him up at college...what a happy, sweet hobby this is, hope I can always stay
healthy to be able to knit...thanks for letting me share a few words.

Valerie in New Hampshire

Go to Top of Page

jmweis
Chatty Knitter

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  06:03:19 AM  Show Profile Send jmweis a Private Message
Wow, I am very impressed with all of the creative ways that people have figured out how to sneak a few more lines of knitting into their day. I have never tried knitting in the bathtub, but I do look at my knitting magazines while soaking in the tub. I did try knitting while driving, but I quickly decided that for me it was not a good idea. I too knit while watching tv. Since I knit while I walk to school, I continue my knitting while I wait for the elevator. I haven't had the courage to knit during classes or seminars, but I have decided to start knitting during the faculty meetings. My goal is to try and to knit out in public more, so my next planned knit-out time will be at the Harry Potter movie Tuesday night.

Keep on knitting
Cheers
Jennifer

Go to Top of Page

gaelle
New Pal

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  07:10:49 AM  Show Profile Send gaelle a Private Message
I have enjoyed reading about the many ways you sister (and brother) knitters incorporate your passion into your day. But has anyone noticed the consistent theme of bad driving that runs like a thread through the thread. Be careful out there - we need all the knitters we have, and not one of you can be spared. Stay safe! And keep knitting!

Go to Top of Page

MichelleKS
New Pal

45 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  08:07:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit MichelleKS's Homepage Send MichelleKS a Private Message
Like most everyone else that has posted, I rarely have a day without knitting. I usually have at least 2 projects going at a time. I don't tend to leave the house without my knitting. I have pencil case with the necessary items -folding scissors, stitch markers, row counter, pen, cable needle, sewing needle, measuring tape, etc. If the pattern is from a magazine or larger book, I'll photocopy the necessary page(s) to keep my load light and then I don't dog ear the original. I knit while I am a passenger in the car, I knit every morning before work, at least a row; I knit at lunch when possible; I knit while waiting for appointments; I knit on the planes when I travel; and I knit while watching TV at night.

Go to Top of Page

keedalee@earthlink.net
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  10:19:22 AM  Show Profile Send keedalee@earthlink.net a Private Message
Wow Jennifer, what a great topic. I am a social worker with a private child welfare agency. As part of my job, I supervise visits between biological parents and their children throughout my week. The visits range from 1 to 3.5 hours long depending on the family. I used to sit at this time and write down notes on my notepad while watching what is going on. I found that this often makes the parents nervous as to what I'm writing about them, even if it was just my Christmas list of gifts to make or grocery list. :) I started taking knitting with me and now sit with my knitting and the notepad is next to me for anything REALLY important I have to write down. I have noticed that my parents are more relaxed and the visits go more smoothly since I started doing this...AND I get a lot more knitting done each week!!!!

Kendra
Central IL
Go to Top of Page

Jen L.
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  10:43:37 AM  Show Profile Send Jen  L. a Private Message
The best thing about my excruciatingly long commute is that I can take the bus--I get two whole hours of knitting time every day! I also knit at night while watching TV. My DH sometimes gets impatient and insists that I pay some attention to him, but usually, I can get a bunch of work done this way. I'm mostly knitting socks (oh so many people deserve handknit socks for Christmas) these days and it's easy to finish at least one pair a week.
Go to Top of Page

dmankowski@rib-x.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  2:59:12 PM  Show Profile Send dmankowski@rib-x.com a Private Message
I thought I was the only obsessed one! I have at least 5 projects going, and the car project is always and easy and fun scarf in garter stitch with novelty yarns. I look forward to long road trips to knit, my commute and the red lights, and the evenings of working on things for myself or my friends and family. My dog sits by my side and loves to sniff everything I am working on. I haven't read much besides knitting magazines since I got hooked in February, but I try to read at the gym (thinking of knitting on the exercise bike while I warm up instead . Thanks for this wonderful forum and the reviews on the yarn--very helpful!

Dayna
Go to Top of Page

HeidiP
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  3:29:59 PM  Show Profile Send HeidiP a Private Message

I FEEL A KINSHIP WITH ALL YOU KNITTERS -- SO PASSIONATE ABOUT OUR CRAFT!!! DITTO TO MOST OF YOU WHO KNIT WHENEVER AND WHERE-EVER YOU CAN. MY HUSBAND TELLS ME I'M WEIRD AND COMPULSIVE (AT LEAST I'M NOT ALONE!!!!). I ALWAYS HAVE SEVERAL PROJECTS GOING -- FROM NO-BRAINERS TO THE REALLY TOUGH STUFF. ALL MY PROJECTS LIVE IN THEIR OWN CARRY ANYWHERE BAG... I WILL KNIT ALMOST ANYWHERE (NOT DURING MASS!!). HERE IS MY UNUSUAL PLACE TO KNIT -- WHILE ON THE STATIONARY BICYCLE!!! REALLY!!! FOR ME, TIME PASSES SO FAST WHEN I'M KNITTING -- AND SO SLOW WHEN I'M EXERCISING. THIS WAY I STILL GET THE EXERCISE IN -- AND DON'T HAVE TO STOP KNITTING!!!

HEIDI
Go to Top of Page

rrcassady@attbi.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  4:35:46 PM  Show Profile Send rrcassady@attbi.com a Private Message
I didn`t knit for many years. Now I`m knitting again and improving my skills. I relocated from Brazil to USA and actualy the knitting is a therapy. I also pray when I`m knitting. My favourite time is in the morning , with a cup of black coffee. When my husband watchs TV I `m knitting,when I`m waiting in the doctor`s office, but I never knit in the car. Would be dangerous, thought.
Go to Top of Page

cputnam1
New Pal

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  6:01:07 PM  Show Profile Send cputnam1 a Private Message
Have any of you ever had problems where you had plenty of time to knit, but just didn't have the incentive to get it out and start working? I always bring my knitting with me, but I go through slumps where I just don't do it. I LOVE to knit, and even have interesting projects going, but just can't seem to get motivated to get going.

When I am not in one of my slumps, I read knitting related things online while I am cooking dinner, and read knitting books and magazines while I am in the bathroom. My daughters complain that I take FOREVER to use the bathroom. I bring knitting with me and will knit in the car (only while hubby drives). and sometimes will knit when I get where I'm going. I also knit in the evening before going to bed most nights. Sometimes I will in the morning, but usually I doze on the couch while the kids are getting ready for school instead.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.82 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?