Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 What Should I Make with It?
 100 to 250 Yards
 4 sk's of Plassard Versatile - Bubble Bag?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kitkatknit
Chatty Knitter

184 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  09:05:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit kitkatknit's Homepage Send kitkatknit a Private Message
I bought the last 4 skiens (216 yds total) of Plassard Versatile in (if I remember right) N014 at LCS (deep discount bin). I did a 3x3 sample on 10.5 needles and felted it. Felted in 20 minutes with fantastic results.

So here is the 220 yard question (cause right now I can't do the yarn math in my head): I want to make the Pursenalities vintage bubble bag. It takes 2 - 220 yd skeins of Cascade 220 (MC) and 2 110 yd skeins of (was it?) Noro Silk (CC). It is knitted double strand with MC and CC together. If I use the Versatile I only need to use one strand.

Can someone take a look at the pattern and see if using 216 yds of one strand of the Versatile will make the body of the bag? I can always do a contrasting handle.

Thanks!!!

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2361 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  08:27:55 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
I haven't made the bubble bag but did make the banana hobo bag and I used 2 skeins of Cascade 220 (doubled thoughout so that would be 220 yards total) and added a flap to it and had a little yarn left over. I also made the booga bag and used 2 skeins of Cascade 220 (again, doubled throughout), and added a flap. I didn't have any left over but the pattern called for 5 balls of Noro Kureyon which is 109 yards each ball. I've altered each pattern so far and the bags are large enough (and I like larger bags) after felting. Maybe patterns always call for more than you actually use cause they want to make sure you'll have enough?

I just bought 3 skeins of Brown Sheep Co. Nature Spun cause I liked the light color. Each skein has 245 yards but it's a thinner yarn than Cascade 220 so I've decided to use 3 strands and try either the bubble bag or the hobo bag again. I'll just change the pattern to make a smaller bag and make the bottom from some leftover Cascade 220. Biggest problem is making sure both yarns felt at same rate, I guess.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd try it....I think it will work. And if you're still not sure, you could make the bottom of the bag and the handle out of contrasting yarn and even add a stripe somewhere with that color. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

kitkatknit
Chatty Knitter

184 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  3:45:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit kitkatknit's Homepage Send kitkatknit a Private Message
mmm, Cascade 220 is 110 yds per skein or 220?

http://spaces.msn.com/members/joyofspin/
Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  4:28:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
220, that's where the 220 comes from. I love it when yarn manufacturers do that, I wish they all did.

Catherine
http://www.yorkiedog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.