Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Never Again!
 Red Heart No-Dye Lot Acrylic!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1492 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  09:30:20 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
I know, you all know better than buy yarn which costs $2 for 8 oz. I made an entire sweater for my daughter for $4! And she likes it (it is a horrid baby blue and pink) and it will wash wonderfully (but probably pill like crazy, but she will grow out of it before then). So I should be happy, right? NO! I have never had plain old worsted that tangled this badly. I bought it to take to a conference, and I was rolling it into balls late the night before, and I thought I would lose my mind!

But, it was worsted weight, so it knit up fast, and it washes and goes in the dryer. And I made a sweater for $5 (including the zipper)So I should be happy, right?

Debra

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  09:35:42 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
LOL! Nope! My son also likes some yarns I can't stand working with; luckily I have a knitting machine for those.

P.S. - Welcome back! Have you been in hiding during tax season?

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  09:59:50 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Relax, it hardly pills at alls...........don't ask me how I know...LOL.

fran
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1492 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  10:39:38 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
Oh Fran, you are so funny! I guess I will have to look at that sweater for a long, long time!

Debra
Go to Top of Page

cats
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  11:23:32 AM  Show Profile Send cats a Private Message
She likes it - that's the main thing. Better than knitting with some expensive yarn and her wind up not liking it.
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  3:28:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
I was asked to make a school colors hat and scarf for someone and the color was absolutely the most important factor for the woman but sadly I ended up having to knit a green and gold scarf and mittens set and I hated every stitch of that "No Dye Lot" Red Heart yarn my fingers were moved to tears in their own way. Never ever ever ever again.

I guess in the end if the recipient is happy then the goal was exceeded.

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
www.Kneatles.com
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  8:46:57 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I use a lot of Red Heart for my grandkids because they have no respect for clothing. I know it can be laundered every week and still come up looking brand new, even in hot water and hot dryers. (But I don't recommend that) It can take, mud fights, wrestling, and even running through corn fields. Cat fights do leave a few pulled threads but they usually go back by stretching them out. I call it the IRON yarn because I think it is made of steel wool. None of my granchildren have ever been able to wear it out. Fifty years after I die, little multicolored children's sweaters will still be floating around over the earth.

Now, for knitting, I prefer Red Heart Soft, to regular Red Heart. It has all the characteristics of regular Red Heart, except that it is softer and more pleasant to work with.

fran
Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  9:21:22 PM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
"Fifty years after I die, little multicolored children's sweaters will still be floating around over the earth." Fran, you crack me up! I'm with you, though - I've got crocheted afghans out of this that are, oh, at least 15 years old now and still look like the day I finished them. Come to think of it, my mom's got a couple twice that old and they don't look half bad, either! Although personally, I wouldn't want to wear it next to my skin - steel wool sounds about right. It fit my high-school and college budgets just right, though!
Lin
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  06:44:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
This yarn sounds as though it might be bullet proof

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

JaniceV
Chatty Knitter

USA
338 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  07:49:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit JaniceV's Homepage  Send JaniceV a Yahoo! Message Send JaniceV a Private Message
LOL GFTC, as I was reading down this tread I thought the same thing. "Good Heavens is stuff is bullet proof." and at the end there was your comment. I have said from time to time if you knit with some Red Heart Yarn you didn't need to fold it to put away, it stands up in the corner on its own.

Janice
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  08:57:42 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I echo draymer in that I hate working with that yarn. I'd rather not knit anything than have it as my only choice.

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

jaw
Seriously Hooked

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  08:30:02 AM  Show Profile Send jaw a Private Message
I use this yarn for the vary reasons some of you hate it. It stands up well. I make hats, sweaters and baby blankets out of it and it comes out of the dryer soft. I have had many compliments for the items I have made. I make many things for donation and feel this is perhaps the best yarn as I doubt many of the receipients will have the time, energy, etc. to do more than throw it in the washer and dryer. That said I realize that many do not like to use the cheaper yarns and if they come from Wal-Mart they are suspect. To each his own and as long as you enjoy what you are knitting good for you.
Go to Top of Page

Catladyknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
368 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  11:15:55 AM  Show Profile Send Catladyknits a Private Message
I agree with Jaw. The cheaper acrylics are great for knitting kids' clothes, as they grow out of them so quickly and the clothes are put through a lot of wear and tear. I like just throwing them in the washer/dryer and having them come out looking new again. For kids, I don't want to fuss with the handwashing and drying flat - easy care all the way!
Go to Top of Page

sewserious
Warming Up

90 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  11:27:31 AM  Show Profile Send sewserious a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Catladyknits

I agree with Jaw. The cheaper acrylics are great for knitting kids' clothes, as they grow out of them so quickly and the clothes are put through a lot of wear and tear. I like just throwing them in the washer/dryer and having them come out looking new again. For kids, I don't want to fuss with the handwashing and drying flat - easy care all the way!

I completely agree. There are some VERY nice acrylics out there (I've seen some that were REALLY EXPENSIVE, put out by the companies that most yarn snobs prefer! Imagine that! Price isn't everything, is it?)
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  3:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
Unfortunately, I am lucky if I can get my hands on anything other than the cheap stuff. I can't afford much more than that. I only have a small basket full of yarn, mostly the red heart no dye lot stuff. I have a few more fun things, like the light and lofty, but still cheap stuff. I eagerly await the day when I can afford nice yarn to work with, and can build a stash that will allow me to make anything I want. In the meantime, since I haven't really worked anything else, I can live with red heart no dye lot and be content.

Take care!
Brandy

see my completed works here: http://blwinteler.tripod.com/projects
Go to Top of Page

momma22wildfires
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  08:31:34 AM  Show Profile Send momma22wildfires a Private Message
I'd love to be able to afford some of the "nicer yarn" as well, but as a woman who does 2-3 loads of laundry a day, I need something that's ultra-washable, too!

momma22wildfires

A baby, a preschooler, and knitting, oh MY!

I'm blogging, too!
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1492 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  10:25:22 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
I agree with the usefullness of the yarn for children's clothing - but the combination of the acrylic and baby blue and pink (it is genetic, because I have never in my life worn either baby blue or pink!) is just too much. I don't have anything on my needles now (I'm not counting the stitch holders on the 15 WIPs hung up in the closet) because I need a break. And I have library books due!

Debra
Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  3:07:59 PM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message
As much as I dislike working with this stuff, it is good for baby blankets BECAUSE it is indestructible. That said, you still have to be careful about the colors even though it claims to be identical. My sister made a pink blanket 2 skeins of it, and the color difference was very noticeable where they joined.

~Rebecca

"Divide your life into 10-minute increments, then see to it that you waste as few of them as possible"
Go to Top of Page

book-worm
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  10:46:32 AM  Show Profile Send book-worm a Private Message
I hate Red Heart acrylic! I knit a bright orange sweater for my mom's dog and it was so scratchy and arcylic-y that I took it off almost immediately after I put it on. She's never worn it since. Though it does have one good use. I use Red Heart to knit hats for the homeless. It's cheap and, since it's thick, they go fast.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

sewserious
Warming Up

90 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  12:33:26 PM  Show Profile Send sewserious a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by book-worm

I hate Red Heart acrylic! I knit a bright orange sweater for my mom's dog and it was so scratchy and arcylic-y that I took it off almost immediately after I put it on. She's never worn it since. Though it does have one good use. I use Red Heart to knit hats for the homeless. It's cheap and, since it's thick, they go fast.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Its such a shame that you hate it so much you won't let a dog wear it but you have no problem giving it to homeless humans! Why don't they deserve the better stuff too? (Try Caron's Simply Soft or Softee Chunky, they are acrylic, wear well, and are very SOFT! Not to mention inexpensive.)
Go to Top of Page

knitdamsel
Chatty Knitter

223 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  9:41:31 PM  Show Profile Send knitdamsel a Private Message
The only Red Heart yarn I have found to be stiff and scratchy is the multi-colored variety. It must have something to do with dying process. But I still crochet afghans with it, because the colors work up so well.

http://www.knitdamsel.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.