Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

greengirl
Seriously Hooked

Taiwan
679 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  08:25:08 AM  Show Profile Send greengirl a Private Message
So I was placing an order for some other supplies at Joann.com... and the result was that I threw some Lion's Brand Fisherman's Wool into my shopping cart as an impulse buy. Its incredubly cheap (465 yards/8oz for $9) Aran weight yarn, color natural. I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this yarn that they would like to send my way before I start into a project with it. The reviews on Joann rave about it for felting, but I generally don't felt and would probably work a scarf hat set with cables.

In particular I am worried about the long term performance (pilling? etc.). The yarn is a reasonable texture and seems to contain lanolin (which should make it easier to work with). I couldn't find any references to it in prior posts.

Thanks! --greengirl

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  08:45:10 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
I haven't used it, but there are reviews here: http://wiseneedle.com/yarndetail.asp?id=400
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  12:52:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
I've used it, and it's quite respectable in terms of wear. However, I would never use it for anything that's going to go against the skin. It's VERY scratchy!

It takes dye well, it felts well, and it knits up easily, though. I would use it for purses, home decor, and outerwear-type sweaters that would be worn over something else.

-Wendy
... __ ____ ____
, o`,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
```)( | | | | | | | || |l
,.- ,.-~~-., `-. :

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."

-Joshua 24:15b
Go to Top of Page

greengirl
Seriously Hooked

Taiwan
679 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  4:47:55 PM  Show Profile Send greengirl a Private Message
Thanks, Wendy, for the first-hand advice. I'll definitely keep the texture in mind in choosing a project. Glad to know it wears OK.

Kelly, I hadn't seen the WiseNeedle site before. Thanks for the link to those great reviews. Also gives me a new site to explore.

--greengirl
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?