Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Never Again!
 Lion Brand Chenille
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kestrel02
Warming Up

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  3:05:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit kestrel02's Homepage Send kestrel02 a Private Message
Okay - there has been alot of talk about Lion Brand yarns and whether they are any good or not, and I haven't seen one good thing said about the chenille. I bought a bunch of it when I first started knitting again a few years ago (before I knew what I know now about yarns and fibers) and have not used it yet. Does anyone have any suggestions for something that it IS good for? I really hate to throw it out, but it may be destined for the trash (to make room for some good stuff!)
Thanks!

Linda

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  3:16:27 PM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
I've heard that it's fine for *making faces* crochet.
Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  3:53:01 PM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message
Make a bunch of crocheted scarves and give them away. I knit 2 afghans with it--one didn't worm at all, but is now falling apart on one edge, and the other isn't falling apart but is covered with worms.

~Rebecca

"Divide your life into 10-minute increments, then see to it that you waste as few of them as possible"
Go to Top of Page

kestrel02
Warming Up

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  08:28:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit kestrel02's Homepage Send kestrel02 a Private Message
LOL - from the overwhelming responses and the nature of the two that were posted, looks like several skeins are headed for the trash. I guess this is one of those times that you just "suck it up" and chalk it up to experience! Thanks, gals!

Linda
Go to Top of Page

sewserious
Warming Up

90 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  12:13:23 PM  Show Profile Send sewserious a Private Message
Please don't throw it in the trash! I'll take it off your hands for the postage! I happen to like it for certain things.
Go to Top of Page

Apple Cider
Chatty Knitter

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  5:59:57 PM  Show Profile Send Apple Cider a Private Message
Give it to someone who likes to crochet. The yarn is PAINFUL to knit, but a friend of mine is a crocheter and she loves it.

----------------
~The Other Julie

Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly. - Arnold Edinboroh

My blog: http://needlesandspin.com
Go to Top of Page

kestrel02
Warming Up

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  4:52:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit kestrel02's Homepage Send kestrel02 a Private Message
I was just going to let this drop - but another question comes to mind - what makes a yarn "better" for knitting or "better" for crocheting? Maybe we should start a different topic for this question, but it seems like an appropriate spot for it. I cannnot crochet, have tried to learn, but am brain-dead when it comes to learning how to do it. Why is this yarn apparently so good for crochet and not knitting?

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  5:04:56 PM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
Hi, Linda, search this site for "worming" for info.
Go to Top of Page

Apple Cider
Chatty Knitter

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  12:35:53 PM  Show Profile Send Apple Cider a Private Message
To answer Linda's question (and this is my opinion only):

I've found that yarns that have no "give" are hard to knit, but fine for crochet. For example, the Lion Brand chenille, and the fine crochet cottons. I tried to make a bookmark from the latter, and gave up in frustration.

I know cottons are not supposed to have "give" but many do. (Manos Cotton Stria, Wool In the Woods cotton come to mind, among others.) I go by the feel...if it's soft, it's knittable. For knitting, I usually prefer a cotton blend, like Lamb's Pride Cotton Fleece. Again, the blend makes it more pliable.

----------------
~The Other Julie

Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly. - Arnold Edinboroh

My blog: http://needlesandspin.com
Go to Top of Page

Essie
New Pal

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  2:12:27 PM  Show Profile Send Essie a Private Message
I have just completed a sweather using chenile and bought some more to do another. I thought it was easy to use in knitting even though it doesn't give. Now, I will probably have problems with the second sweater.

R.McCullough
Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  2:48:15 PM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message
One of the reasons crochet works better for Lion Brand chenille is that it makes a thicker, firmer fabric. The yarn is less likely to worm because the stitches are more anchored. It does make really soft scarves--my sister crocheted a bunch last Christmas and none of them wormed.

~Rebecca

"Nothing, why?"
Go to Top of Page

goldmine
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  6:25:47 PM  Show Profile Send goldmine a Private Message
I love this Lion Brand Chenille for making purses. It is beautiful. I own a yarn shop and recommend it highly for THAT purpose.
Cathy
Country Yarn Boutique
Go to Top of Page

trueepicure
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  1:38:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit trueepicure's Homepage  Send trueepicure a Yahoo! Message Send trueepicure a Private Message
I knit and crochet (no I don't have horns growing out of my head or anything!) and I can't stand this stuff. Ugh, you can't see the stitches and I'm constantly afraid it's just going to fall apart.

Anyone want a skein of purple chenille? ;)

-------------------------
Help Me in the Nation's Fight Against Breast Cancer

http://www.trueepicure.com/walk
Go to Top of Page

maganna
Chatty Knitter

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  9:18:28 PM  Show Profile Send maganna a Private Message
I was looking at the Lion Chenille a few months ago to do a blanket. I loved a color in the regular chenille, but when I looked at the gauge/needle part of the label it just listed a crochet gauge. I emailed Lion thinking maybe it was a bad bunch of labels and they told me that they do not recommed the regular chenille for knitting due to the worming. They could only recommend the Chenille Thick & Quick.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  05:08:22 AM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message
The Chenille Thick and Quick worms just as horribly as the lighter weight. I seriously do not recommend it for knitting--I wish I had a picture of my DS's afghan that looks like a large wormy rag. Or my DD's afghan that did not worm at all, but is disintegrating along one side. Caveat Emptor!

~Rebecca

"Nothing, why?"
Go to Top of Page

maganna
Chatty Knitter

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  07:26:18 AM  Show Profile Send maganna a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Knit kitty

The Chenille Thick and Quick worms just as horribly as the lighter weight. I seriously do not recommend it for knitting~Rebecca

That is terrible news. I was actually considering the thick and quick but was going to wait to see if any new colors come out. Thanks for saving me time and money. And sanity for that matter. If the thick and quick had wormed I would have chalked it up to my inexperience with this yarn!

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

lgrabbit@yahoo.com
Chatty Knitter

170 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  06:13:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit lgrabbit@yahoo.com's Homepage Send lgrabbit@yahoo.com a Private Message
I crocheted a friend a beautiful scarf...it wormed! I don't know how it was cared for, but I would have thrown it out after seeing it "age". I have some more skeins and think I will try to crochet it with smaller hooks than recommended to see if it will be alright. I won't buy any more!

Laurie

"Under the fence, Catch the sheep, Back we come, Off we leap!"--Purl Rhyme
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  06:59:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
If it worms when crocheted, it'll be just awful knitted! Sounds like "plan B" is in order.

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

sweetnsour
Chatty Knitter

USA
156 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  10:36:39 PM  Show Profile Send sweetnsour a Private Message
I've only made a crochet change purse for my mom with it. It held up for a good while (don't know if mom stopped using it or it fell apart, must find out). I used the T&Q for a sort of car blanket thing. I think the only reason it didn't wear out is because it hasn't gotten much use. The extra long scarf in the LB ads is really pretty, but really impractical. It seems chenille is something you work up for 'show' instead of 'use'.

Can anyone recommend a chenille that won't fall apart so easily? I guess if it's really tough it wouldn't be chenille, but I figured I'd throw the question out there.

I had a store bought chenille sweater that developed a rather embarassing thin spot right on the chest, but it was comfy while it lasted *wishful thinking*
Go to Top of Page

lgrabbit@yahoo.com
Chatty Knitter

170 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  06:08:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit lgrabbit@yahoo.com's Homepage Send lgrabbit@yahoo.com a Private Message
Linda,

Better for knitting or crocheting question: Some of the fuzzy, eyelashy, novelty yarn is better for knitting because you can hardly see your stitches when crocheting. At least they are accounted for on the knitting needle--and carefully at that. Just make a swatch to find out. Also, some yarns have little or no stretch which makes the beg. chain row of crochet so tight and bunchy (even with a larger hook)--knitting cast on can be more flexible. Hope this helps--swatches really do help!

Laurie

"Under the fence, Catch the sheep, Back we come, Off we leap!"--Purl Rhyme[meow]
Go to Top of Page

Peppermintstix
Chatty Knitter

123 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  12:02:12 AM  Show Profile Send Peppermintstix a Private Message
What the heck is "worming"?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.