Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Never Again!
 Lion Brand Chenille
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  01:37:17 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Peppermintstix

What the heck is "worming"?

Sally Melville gives a wonderful description of worming in The Knit Stitch. I can't do anywhere near as good a job, but here goes.

For some (perfectly good, I'm sure, technical) reason, chenille yarns tend to have some sts. that sort of spiral out while you're not looking. Some of these spirals can be quite long, and they tend to look like . . .wait for it . . .worms. Thus, worming.

SnL just got hersrlf a skein of thick and quick in black, to make a scarf. She's doing it on fairly large needles and is using the basic yo, k2tog lace. So far, no worming, but who knows in the long run. I did warn her that this was not going to be easy yarn to work with, but she wanted it, so what could I do?

Barbara

Healthy conservatism promotes the continuity of civilization, the importance of community, the dangers of thoughtless change. It does not, or should not, assert the right of white, Christian heterosexual males of a certain age to limit the rights of everyone else. The past 100 years of social history has been dedicated, on good days, to constraining the dominance of this minority. Yesterday was a good day: J.Ibbotson, June 29/05, on the passing of the same-sex marriage bill.

Photos:
Blog:

Go to Top of Page

KnitRedSox
Chatty Knitter

170 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  08:38:40 AM  Show Profile Send KnitRedSox a Private Message
Ahh, the Age-Old Lion Brand Chenille issue... one of my favorite topics...

http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17100
Go to Top of Page

Nurse Rene
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  09:53:27 AM  Show Profile Send Nurse Rene a Private Message
Suggest that you combine the chenille yarn with a 'fun fur' or some other novelty yarn for a soft scarf. Knit the two yarns together (as if one strand). I have done this successfully with several beautiful but difficult yarns.
Go to Top of Page

lauriec
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  5:50:25 PM  Show Profile  Send lauriec a Yahoo! Message Send lauriec a Private Message
I made a throw w/ the LB chenille----the colors are beautiful (mine was done in royal blue) & the finished product was lovely but the whole time I was knitting it I had blue fuzz all over---my clothes, up my nose, on my hands etc.

I loved the throw when it was done but it was TORTURE to make. To this day I STILL sneeze blue!

Go to Top of Page

HopkinGreen
Chatty Knitter

182 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  10:32:32 PM  Show Profile Send HopkinGreen a Private Message
Worming? What's that?? I have a bunch of Lion's Brand Chenille that I was going to knit for an afghan for my husband and I. (My husband liked it because he said the green color looked like moss when it was knitted.)

Would it "worm" if I was as careful with it as I would be with my wool sweaters? (e.g. Don't allow it to be agitated in the washer - only letting it soak or hand-washing...)

Let me know if you can.
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  06:23:56 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
...maybe... See SerMom's reply for the description. I made a sweater for my daughter that looked sort of ok before washing, but just hideous afterward. I don't know what brand of chenille it was, though. Hand wash a swatch in your chosen stitch pattern - please - or maybe try crochet if you have your heart set on the stuff....

my pics
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.