Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting Companions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

yarncrazy
Warming Up

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  06:59:58 AM  Show Profile Send yarncrazy a Private Message
Strange how a lot of us knitters have cats and love Law & Order hmmm. Well, I too battle a cat wanting to sit on my lap while knitting and I too, watch Law & Order - mostly reruns and some of them are past my bedtime. My DH is an enabler as he just paid for a whole bunch of yarn I got at Building 19 (a local discount store) and tells me he will purchase any other yarns I may want. This is so sweet as he is disabled and doesn't work, but I do. He gets the odd job dog sitting and makes a few bucks and wants to help pay for yarn. I guess I'll keep him after 43 years of marriage.

Lois in MA
http://hopingtoretire.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

susanner
Gabber Extraordinaire

400 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  11:20:35 AM  Show Profile Send susanner a Private Message
I like to knit with my parrot on my shoulder and the radio on. Sometimes he tries to "help" me, so I've made him his own knitting with shish-ka-bob sticks cast on with cotton yarn and stitch markers intersperced. Makes for perfect chewing while he sits on my shoulder. He's a little guy so it's not heavy.

susanne
Go to Top of Page

paper tiger
Chatty Knitter

282 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  12:21:50 PM  Show Profile Send paper tiger a Private Message
I knit with my feet up on the coffee table and two cats on my lap (usuially facing my feet), with the TV on. Or in bed (cats optional) with NPR on.
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Stripes
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  12:53:44 PM  Show Profile Send Lavender Stripes a Private Message
I suppose I'll answer to my own topic-- I just had to after that comment about L&O. I too am a faithful Law and Order rerun knitter- there really do seem to be an inordinate number of us, huh. Other than that, I'm basically a loner. Me, my knitting, L&O, a warm fleece blanket, and a cup of steaming tea. Ah.... Oh, and if I can lasso one of my friends into it, I undoubtedly will. Muahahaha. I also watch an insane number of movies. Bourne Identity anyone? If I could have a pet/if a cat would own me, they would be my companion. And about financing, it's me all the way, unless someone is nice enough to give me a present of stash-money. *sigh*
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  1:00:51 PM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
I'm a CSI gal myself. (But only the original series!)

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep; his cupidity may at some point be satiated: but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  2:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
My main knitting companion at home is my dog ... he is big so no lap sitting but will sit on the couch beside my recliner if I'm in the recliner; when I'm on the couch he usually lies down with some portion of his body on top of my feet so he will get woken up if I try to move. He is also known to wait until I push my recliner back then lie down under the footrest so I can't get up ... what an excuse to keep knitting! Unfortunately, he doesn't have a job so I not only have to buy my own yarn, but his food too.

My lunchtime knitting companion is my LYSO. It is a new shop (opened last fall) about 1.5 blocks from my office and I go sit in her classroom area at the back of the shop to knit through lunch (once or twice a week I go to a little diner where I also knit).
Go to Top of Page

zehava
Chatty Knitter

Canada
335 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  2:09:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit zehava's Homepage Send zehava a Private Message
another 'lone wolf' knitter here! (i love that. i like to do most things alone, so 'lone wolf' is a great title... and coincidentally, the only mode i like to play Ghost Recon in!)

i usually knit when the kidlets are outside or in bed... or happily very busy with something else. or i knit while waiting for games on the xbox to load (so maybe the guys i play with on xbox live are my knitting companions... even if they have no idea what i'm really up to between games). i'll often put on a 'mindless' movie while knitting, really just for some background noise more than anything else.

and financing? totally up to me. bah. i wish i had an SO so i could talk someone into helping finance this habit... and then he could go home so i could knit alone or with the guys on xbox live ;)

-z
Go to Top of Page

MomToTwo
Chatty Knitter

221 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  3:13:53 PM  Show Profile Send MomToTwo a Private Message
Hmmm, at home I usually don't get to knit until everyone else is snoring soundly. Picking up needles before then guarantees that one or the other needs me for something RIGHT THEN. Since there is a limit to how effectively my sleep-deprived brain will make my fingers work late at night, I'm mostly a "while-I'm-waiting" knitter. Between the two kids I've got about 5 hours per week of their various dance and gymnastics classes to sit thru, and that doesn't include soccer or swimming seasons. One of my son's classes comes pretty close to having a knitting club as there are three of us that bring our projects and knit.

Hi Lois - I didn't know Building 19 carried yarn! I'll have to check that out. Which fraction did you go to? I think 19 7/8 is the one closest to me.

-Zack
Go to Top of Page

jaw
Seriously Hooked

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  3:51:03 PM  Show Profile Send jaw a Private Message
I usually have at least one cat next to me or on my lap - have to take time out to give Duffy some extra attention every once in awhile. One of the two kittens is usually on the back of the couch, under the lamp - it is warm there. That is when I have to combat the twitching tail.[ I usually have the TV on - love CSI, both the original and Miami, New York CSI is taking some getting used to. Sometimes I sit in bed watching TV and knitting and sometimes have a CD on - especially James Last - love his music.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  4:10:40 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
My tiny poodle sleeps in my lap while I knit in the LazyBoy, watching a video, or in bed late at night. He is oblivious to the DPN's touching his fuzzy back now. His piccy is on the blog.

My darling DH funds my yarns, needles, and even, more recently, books with the help of the kids. They send me Christmas and birthday gift certificates. Heavenly.

Over the years, in my turn, I had made them all gifts of yarns from my formidible stash, straight needles and crochet hooks. I quietly replaced some of it later. And lately I've been making some of them socks.

lella
[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]

http://zippiknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

aksunrae
Warming Up

67 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  4:56:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit aksunrae's Homepage Send aksunrae a Private Message
I'm another of the lone wolves - sort of - I love to knit late at night, but everyone I know is already asleep - so I'm usually just accompanied by the TV or radio and a great cup of tea. My DH handles most of the financing -- of the knitting and the tea (I'm quite addicted to both)
Go to Top of Page

fael
New Pal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  4:58:22 PM  Show Profile Send fael a Private Message
I sit in an armed straight dining chair in the bedroom watching old Murder She Wrote, Perry Mason, Diagnosis Murder and Law and Order-Animal Planet if I need a break. Why in a straight chair with my feet on a little stool? So there is no extra lap or arm or back of chair for kitties to lounge on batting at yarn, swishing tails in my face,chewing on needles, etc. I am actually making some progress with an extremely !!! firm No! Of course there is Chewsy (who looks so innocent even at 6!) who being half-size, doesn't understand PeopleSpeak, it's all so garbled as her claws dig in to keep from falling. My DH goes in and out, naps, back to work, comments on wip and said wip being snagged, etc. Summer is Coming-perhaps if I put blinders on I can knit without feeling the garden pulling the needles out and sticking trowel and weeder in? Perhaps if I hide out front the dogs won't want to play and the geese and ducks will share with me? Yes, I do dream... Fael.
Go to Top of Page

Purls Girl
Warming Up

80 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  8:32:20 PM  Show Profile Send Purls Girl a Private Message
I tried to type in orange, because my golden retriever is my knitting lap dog--all 80 lbs of him. His brother lies at my feet. These dogs gang up on me anytime I sit still and demand attention. Moe (lapdog) generally sleeps while I knit. His brother, Luke, snores. It's very peaceful.
Go to Top of Page

midnightskyfibers
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  11:29:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit midnightskyfibers's Homepage Send midnightskyfibers a Private Message
whoever is sitting near me in classes?
though i can knit with someone or seomthing sitting in my lap, as long as its easy knitting (and now you know where my priorities lie! :))

http://www.midnightskyfibers.com handspun and handpainted yarns, fibers, and kits.
Go to Top of Page

yarncrazy
Warming Up

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  06:00:15 AM  Show Profile Send yarncrazy a Private Message
Hi Zach,

Building 19 had a buyout of LB yarn about a month ago and I went to the one in Natick (can't remember the fraction there). They usually don't carry yarn but this was a special buy and it was like Filene's basement fighting all the ladies when the doors opened, but I managed to get enough to keep me busy for a few months. Working on the Berkshire Pullover in LB Chunky and got some LB Cotton Ease for the Ribby Cardigan - just a few projects for all that yarn.

Lois in MA
http://hopingtoretire.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

stubbornkelly
Chatty Knitter

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  09:18:50 AM  Show Profile Send stubbornkelly a Private Message
My feline companion only wants my attention when I'm focused on something else, so rather than being a knitting companion, she becomes a knitting blocker! She hates when I do anything other than read a book or watch TV, and even those she'd rather I not do. It's like she knows when I start knitting, because she comes out of nowhere and wants to be all over me. Completely impossible to knit with her in my lap or on the sofa.

But when I know she's tucked away in whatever her hidey-hole of the week is, I usually listen to a movie I've seen a billion times, or just listen to some good music. I usually pick a different genre for different projects. I don't have a list or anything, I just notice that I'm in the mood for certain projects when I play opera or electronica, or swing, or whatever.
Go to Top of Page

Parrot Girl
Permanent Resident

2129 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  09:57:49 AM  Show Profile Send Parrot Girl a Private Message
In terms of people, I prefer to knit when I'm alone. In terms of TV, CSI. In terms of critters, Cookie the elderly calico likes to perch on my knees and doesn't bother the yarn at all, and Mickey the Meyers parrot, sometimes on the shoulder, sometimes chewing magazines on the stool beside my chair.

"The past does not equal the future"

The other Fran in Kansas City
Go to Top of Page

Meadra
Chatty Knitter

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  11:05:38 AM  Show Profile Send Meadra a Private Message
I can knit while watching anything, especially the Wiggles (my two year old DS loves them and insists on watch one of their DVD's every night). He also likes to stand and watch me knit. I told him I'd teach him when he gets a little older if he wants.

I usually have at least one of our three cats on my lap or next to me on the couch. One of the cats won't sit on my lap but is facinated by my needles and will try to catch them as I'm knitting. One of the others will make off with my point protectors or any other small items that she can get her paws on.

After we put our son to bed, I sit and knit and watch TV while my DH writes on the computer in the next room. The computer is perfectly placed so he can watch TV too. I also enjoy knitting while he plays video games. This has really helped me to learn to knit without looking.

Christy
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  3:59:49 PM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
My very spoiled Doberman used to sit beside me on the couch. If I forgot to give her a pat now and then she would suddenly throw her head into the air and come down right in the middle of my work!
Go to Top of Page

llamafiber4
Chatty Knitter

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  4:30:06 PM  Show Profile Send llamafiber4 a Private Message
Yes, Yes, it's usually my Hershey Moose, at my feet if she's not trying to get all 80lbs of her up inmy lap. And two thumbs up for law and order or csi reruns too. my dh is al giving me the go ahead to do whatever project. Debbie

Debbie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.