Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting Companions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

MeezieGirl
Seriously Hooked

USA
623 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  3:19:33 PM  Show Profile Send MeezieGirl a Private Message
My knitting companion is my cat Sapphire. She's a chocolate point Siamese. She'd really like to play with my yarn but I've trained her to keep her paws to herself if she wants lap time. I frequently knit with my legs up on another chair and she'll snuggle on my legs, so my knitting is on my lap. Very comfortable, especially in cold weather.

If my husband is around, I like to have him in the same room with me. Usually he's on the computer, but since that's in the family room with the TV, things are good.

If I'm watching the tube, I like old movies, which I have on tape or DVD. Fred and Ginger, film noir, old detectives, Star Wars, Harry Potter, MASH, Lord of the Rings, etc, etc. An eclectic grouping.

Dee
Go to Top of Page

jrwhiskey
Gabber Extraordinaire

378 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  3:25:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit jrwhiskey's Homepage Send jrwhiskey a Private Message
Usually the only time I have to knit is after dinner so me and DH are watching TV. He used to be my swift too, but since I got one for my birthday he can go back to reading the paper
One of the 5 cats is usually vying for my lap or trying to get to the yarn, but am used to that.

Julie in central MD
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  07:43:38 AM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
My knitting companions are my cat(laying in my lap!) Law and Order, Medium, or my favorite, favorite, SCIFI channel!!

Lelani

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today." White
Go to Top of Page

Garden mom
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  10:04:21 AM  Show Profile Send Garden mom a Private Message
With you on the TV - usually CSI (original and NY - can't stand Caruso, so I don't like Miami), Lost, or Alias. Most of my knitting is done after my daughter is in bed and everything is cleaned up for the night. So I may get 1 hour of peaceful TV & DH time a night.
During the day, if I'm knitting when my daughter is awake, she'll pull on my needles to play with them thereby pulling the stitches off - she hasn't learned yet! Is 2 years old to early to start the knitting bug?
I finance my knitting habit...

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are right."
Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

Yarnni
Permanent Resident

Canada
1021 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  6:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yarnni's Homepage Send Yarnni a Private Message
Garden Mom! Your little one reminds me of my neighbor's little girl. She loves to come over to "Wool Land" and organize all my yarn by color. And she's only 2! If this keeps up, I'll have to hire her before she's even 6 six years old!

Yarnni
www.knitwerx.com
Go to Top of Page

Garden mom
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  08:43:45 AM  Show Profile Send Garden mom a Private Message
Definitely sounds like something my girl would do!
Aren't they fun when they're so pedantic??

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are right."
Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

Elaine in NJ
Gabber Extraordinaire

584 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  08:19:34 AM  Show Profile Send Elaine in NJ a Private Message
I watch TV, always accompanied by our dog, Tiny (who is not tiny). I don't sleep well (menopausal crap), so I stay up late watching sitcom reruns, movies, or HGTV, and knitting, of course. Tiny prefers the latter, but I insist on controlling the remote. When I finally turn the TV off, Tiny wakes up and immediately struggles to her feet (we're both middle-aged and stiff) and staggers to her "real" bed in the dining room.

I really only like knitting with wool, but I've bought some cotton so I don't have to stop knitting for the summer.
Go to Top of Page

CrazyFiberLady
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  08:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit CrazyFiberLady's Homepage Send CrazyFiberLady a Private Message
For me, it's the TV, 1 or 2 of my three cats or my toddler twins. The twins and the kitten are difficult knitting companions, especially when dpns or circular needles are involved.

Risa in NJ
http://crazyfiberlady.typepad.com
"Life's too short to knit with cruddy yarn"
Go to Top of Page

Geniap
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  08:41:36 AM  Show Profile Send Geniap a Private Message
My knitting companions are books on tape during the day -- I love a good mystery and the TV in the evenings. I too am a CSI gal as well as Law and Order.

The cats? They watch and provide comments.

clickin' on the Severn watching the Blue Heron
Go to Top of Page

ballettoes
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  08:49:57 AM  Show Profile Send ballettoes a Private Message
my kitty kats sit by me and the baby of them all wants to play with my yarn, Dinka (Inka Dinka Do) and i spend lots of time telling her No. i have been reading KR for years, love it, it is very helpful in selecting new yarns. Thank you Clara.
Go to Top of Page

simpleknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  08:51:52 AM  Show Profile Send simpleknitter a Private Message
One or another of our three cats is always trying to sit in my lap when I am knitting or chews on my bamboo needle tips if I set (one of several at a time, of course) a current projects down and walk away. I love my cats and have been knitting and felting mice and cat beds. As well as things for other members of the family...
Go to Top of Page

vst@virginia.edu

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  09:01:41 AM  Show Profile Send vst@virginia.edu a Private Message
My Bulldog Beans keeps me company right beside me while I know. My husband is wonderful to help wind yarn.
Go to Top of Page

SpinDiva
Gabber Extraordinaire

552 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  09:03:16 AM  Show Profile Send SpinDiva a Private Message
HAve to say - it's getting better. When I fist took up knitting - EVERYONE in the house was out to get me. Dogs began thinking they were cats - and wanted to play with the yarn, S.O. HATED it - and was hostile to loss of time together - and all in all I was a lone soul on a knitting island.

Now - the dogs know where to lie to be nearby without disturbing, S.O. won't admit it but seems to realize that it is here to stay - and that it indeed calms me down and makes me happy...

AND... although my spending is about the same - I'm not buying so many clothes on Ebay anymore - my entire list of purchases is now knitting supplies!

Andrea
Go to Top of Page

susannadue@comcast.net

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  09:15:31 AM  Show Profile Send susannadue@comcast.net a Private Message
Books on tape or CD are a great way to read and knit at the same time.My public library
always thast the latest books as well as great old classics. I don't have to choose between these two loves. I alos have a car project, something very familiar. So when my husband is driving, I can do a few rows even on short trips.
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  09:22:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lavender Stripes

Be it your husband, your daughter, or your cat, who is your "knitting companion"? Who sits on your lap (hopefully a cat or dog ) while you knit, or finances those must-have yarn splurges, or inspires you to keep fringing that #@%$ poncho into the wee hours of the morning?

Hmmm...various company at various times. Sometimes it's just me. Sometimes me and my cat. My DH is sometimes in the room, but working at his desk -- not really keeping me company, but definitely companionable. Sometimes its a girlfriend (over tea or coffee). Sometimes it's strangers (at a cafe). Sometimes it's my Gilli Hook Guild friends and others at our weekly Knit Night (http://www.knittingroomcalgary.com/). Sometimes its CBC Radio 2 (esp. fond of Tom Allen, of Studio Sparks, and of Jurgen Goth and his Disc Drive program) or television (PBS or A&E -- preferably a good British murder mystery or a biography...)

Just as I have projects to suit my moods, I have companions that do the same!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  09:25:23 AM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
For me, it's also usually the TV, and my little cat keeps me company as well. Years ago, I had a cat who would torment me when I knitted. He'd whack at the needles (he could tell when dropping a stitch would be a nightmare) and he'd grab the ball of yarn and run!

Mari

Don't confuse knowledge with wisdom. With one you make a living, with the other you make a life.
Go to Top of Page

DietchGirl
Sustaining Member

USA
517 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  09:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit DietchGirl's Homepage Send DietchGirl a Private Message
My constant knitting companion is Manny, my cat. If I'm stretched out on the couch, he's usually sprawled across my legs napping. Most of the time he doesn't bother my yarn, but I have to keep an eye on him if I'm knitting with alpaca or mohair. When BF is around he's usually at the other end of the couch. He provides inspiration and the occasional push I need to finish my UFO's.

Felicia in NYC

"This is mohair." "Mohair", he said and placed the furry ball on his head. "Mohair for me?" - from a very funny moment with my boyfriend in a LYS.
Go to Top of Page

janszdance@yahoo.com

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  09:31:59 AM  Show Profile Send janszdance@yahoo.com a Private Message
I have two cats. The female will not let me knit if she wants love. But my little boy sits quietly on my lap and if he wants a rub or two he just sweetly looks up at me and waits patiently for me to reach the end of a row. This morning I found a ball of yarn in the kitchen so I guess I'd best hide the little ones? They love for me to knit up a flower and then they chase it all over the house.
Go to Top of Page

vminerd@yahoo.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  09:32:32 AM  Show Profile Send vminerd@yahoo.com a Private Message
My knitting companion is my mini dachshund Rina. I usually sit with my legs up and she lays stretched-out on them. As soon as she sees me pick up my needles and yarn she runs to the chair.

Valerie M.
Go to Top of Page

delicategenius
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  09:41:57 AM  Show Profile Send delicategenius a Private Message
My dog, Angus, keeps me company. He has learned RESPECT FOR NEEDLES AND YARN, but he still likes to sniff needles and yarn, almost as much as I do. So he hops up on the couch, strains his neck to smell the sacred items in my hands, maybe touch his tongue to the wood needles, and then hunkers down next to me, with his little butt against my leg. He chews his bone as I knit. It's a beautiful arrangement.

Oh yeah, I'm new. Been knitting for a year and a half, but I'm already hard core. I'm an editor and writer by trade, musician and poem-writer by practice, and have loved all things philosophical and cerebral for most of my life. Then I gained a crafty friend, who taught me how to knit. And oooh, how nice! The rhythm, the smell, the textures, the colors, the counting, the fetish, the channeling of OCD! HIIII ...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?