Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Is Embroidery the New Knitting?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

knitdamsel
Chatty Knitter

223 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  10:23:06 PM  Show Profile Send knitdamsel a Private Message
What's going on??

My MIL has traded in her knitting for needlepoint. She's working on a gorgeous floral pillow.

One of my friends got bored with making scarves. Now she's crazy about counted cross stitch.

I noticed that the embroidery kit section at my local Michael's is looking depleted.

Is embroidery the Next Big Thing?

http://www.knitdamsel.blogspot.com

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  11:00:39 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Know not what to say. My knitting group doesn't care what you do, even if you sit there and do nothing. I believe we just like the comraderie. We have people, including me that do needlepoint, embroidery, crochet. Now that I have fininshed that baby afghan they will be delighted that I am on to some other project--to finish that needlepoint project from last spring. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  11:47:42 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Nothing is going on. That's life. A creative person will find many outlets. That doesn't mean they don't like knitting or any other type of needleart. The common thread among them is that they are all a part of the needlearts.

fran
Go to Top of Page

SweetJane
Chatty Knitter

168 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  12:44:53 AM  Show Profile Send SweetJane a Private Message
My daughters and I took up embroidery and cross-stitch at the same time that we took up knitting. It was actually pretty easy to teach them embroidery using iron-ons for dishtowels and a single color of DMC floss. I have seen that there seems to be more "needle workers" in general. I'm glad for it!

Jane
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  12:49:13 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Around here, even though knitting is popular year round, people do pick up more needlework in the summer. I take advantage of the sunlight and do needlework in the summer.

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  04:07:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I have always done all sorts of needle work,
knit, crochet, embroider, some lace here and there. ( however I draw the line at counted cross stitch, but I love silk ribbon embroidery)
it depends on what I need/want at the moment or how the mood strikes me.
One fall I did nothing but silk ribbon, as I did all sorts of christmas ornaments in that.
Another time I crocheted forever as I needed a bed sized afgan. ( out of red heart and it is still going strong)
now IF i did cross stitch ( or something along that line) I probably would periodically do a lot of towels etc....
so I imagine other folks are like that and you are just noticing?
or maybe the 20 year cycle is going on and folks are rediscovering stuff like that
vi
who thinks it may be a bit of everything
but what do I know.... I am old and not done with my first cup of coffee yet

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/truly~violet/violet.jpg[/IMG]
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  04:54:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
It's just creativity. Humans need to make things, and once they get going they might not be able to stop! That would be a good thing...if more people acted upon their creative urges, the world would be a whole lot better off, and more beautiful, too.

Needlework of any sort shouldn't be labeled as a trend or a fashion -- I'm so tired of all that nonsense. We do whatever we do because it speaks to us and makes us happy and whole. At least that's why I knit and paint and make collages and cook and, yes, do bits of different kinds of needlework from time to time. The more the better!

Jane
(who seems to be following Vi doen the topics this morning, and still needs more coffee...)
jcc28

"Books are where things are explained to you, life is where things aren't and I'm not surprised that some people prefer books." Julian Barnes

My album: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzenu0u9/
Go to Top of Page

Lisa811
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  05:10:51 AM  Show Profile Send Lisa811 a Private Message
yeah, I agree with most who say it's just creativity. Life's too short to not enjoy as many needle arts as you can. I've tried all kinds of needlework (and other crafts) and I love going back and forth. I come across way too many new ideas to not want to try them. Plus I think it keeps you inspired........just another opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5190 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  06:08:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
I started with embroidery at 4--what a patient person my Aunt Judy is! From that, I branched out into many other fiber arts. I agree that it's a natural progression. And an excuse to buy or make different beautiful fibers and create different beautiful things.

http://crazylaneas.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

homebodyknits
Seriously Hooked

USA
713 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  06:21:21 AM  Show Profile Send homebodyknits a Private Message
I agree with Mokey in that doing other forms of needlework in the summer is popular because you have better lighting and the work is not as heavy or warm in your lap. That doesn't mean people don't knit in the summer, just that the projects are sometimes different than what they do in the winter. I make baby items, washcloths, etc. in the summer rather than heavy afghans and sweaters. I also love to crochet, needlepoint, cross stitch, quilt and paint. I just don't have time for it! So, if you haven't tried any form of needlework other than knitting, go for it! There is a big world out there and you might enjoy it!

Homebody Knits
[img]http://llizard.crosswinds.net/gifs/knit4.gif[/img]

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end the faster it goes.

[img]http://c1.searchpixie.com/image/Animations/icons/an9.gif[/img] http://www.picturetrail.com/knitsbykathy
Go to Top of Page

HAmom
Chatty Knitter

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  07:32:02 AM  Show Profile Send HAmom a Private Message
Hi! I actually have been wanting to try and learn needlepoint. There is a beautiful shop near my house and they give lessons and have a "Stitch and beach" session twice a week for needlepointers..I am almost afraid to learn...if I find another hobby it will dip into my yarn budget!
Coleen
'
Go to Top of Page

knitdamsel
Chatty Knitter

223 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  07:38:09 AM  Show Profile Send knitdamsel a Private Message
So many projects, so little time!

After reading the comments so far, it's starting to make sense to me. Knitting isn't being replaced; it's actually generating a greater interest in all of the needlecrafts.

I agree with everybody that rotating projects is a good idea, so you don't get bored working on the same thing for what seems like forever. And in warmer weather, it is easier to work on lightweight projects like cross stitch.

I know how to cross stitch, crochet, etc., but I focus most of my crafting time on knitting, because I like creating wearable art.

http://www.knitdamsel.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  07:56:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
Actually - while I'm not disagreeing with what others have said here - there is a resurgance of interest in needlework right now. Handwork trends do come and go, and needlepoint and embroidery are on the upswing.

My LYSO and I have talked about this extensively as she's been tracking trends in handwork for YEARS. In fact, my she also carries needlepoint in her store. Why? Because when she was doing her research she determined that if and when the current knitting craze died down needlepoint will probably be the thing that takes over. In recent months, she's seen more and more needlepoint in all of her trade literature/catalogs, and people are starting to ask for it when they come in the store. All of the other signs already mentioned in this thread are also pointing to that.

SO, while I certainly agree that creative people do like variety, and some of this is probably seasonal, there is also some truth in the trend theory. I don't at all think that needlework will replace knitting, but it is becoming popular again in it's own right.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

ladyamythyst69
Gabber Extraordinaire

372 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  08:02:08 AM  Show Profile Send ladyamythyst69 a Private Message
If needlework is becoming more popular I am happy about that! I started out doing needlework of all kinds and that's what I did for 15 years. Then I had children and discovered that needlework doesn't really fit into my new lifestyle. :) That's when I sat down and learned knitting - it's much more portable, you can do a row here and there as time permits and it's much less "fiddly". Someday I will start doing needlework again but I doubt I will drop knitting.

http://ontheneedles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  08:22:10 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
Can I be the cynic here and say that it's because of marketing? Knitting became popular, and craft companies and publishers wanted to hang onto their new audience before they got bored. So they start pushing crochet. Then they start pushing embroidery....Look at the progression of the Interweave press series: Hip to Knit, Oct 2002. Hip to Crochet, Sept 2004. Hip to Stitch, April 2005. Crafts in general have experienced a resurgence, but as far as the individual crafts go, I think the companies that benefit from them are doing all they can to become the next big craft. Just my cynical, pre-caffeine view of the world.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep; his cupidity may at some point be satiated: but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Lisa811
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  11:27:00 AM  Show Profile Send Lisa811 a Private Message
speaking of certian needlework coming "back", does anyone here do rug hooking? I'm not sure that's the correct wording for the "newer" version but I saw some very pretty stuff awhile back. It's more of a "loop" instead of the older version where you took small lengths of yarn and hooked them through a canvas. I remember doing that "way back when" but this other type of rug making was very pretty. I've wanted to try it for awhile. If anyone here makes rugs maybe you can share a little about it. What you like about it, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra C
Gabber Extraordinaire

403 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  11:37:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sandra C's Homepage Send Sandra C a Private Message
I used to do a lot of counted cross stitch. I still have a lot of the supplies for it, but I had to stop a few years ago. My eyes are just getting too old. All the bright light in the world isn't enough to make it pleasant. LOL I suppose I could still do it, if there was a project I *really* wanted to make, but I find that I prefer to do something that is easy and doesn't take so much concentration.

I have been thinking of selling all of my counted cross stitch supplies. Anybody know of a good site to do that?

I could be tempted to take up needlepoint again, though. I enjoyed the couple of needlepoint projects I did.

But for now, it's mostly knitting for me.

Sandra in NY
Knitter for Life
Go to Top of Page

Lisa811
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  12:08:30 PM  Show Profile Send Lisa811 a Private Message
Sandra......consider selling it on Ebay.....it's a great place to advertise to a big audience. I see alot of craft supplies being sold there.
Go to Top of Page

paper tiger
Chatty Knitter

282 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  12:27:32 PM  Show Profile Send paper tiger a Private Message
I thought crochet was the next knitting! Good to know...

I agree that many of us follow our passions and creativity where it leads, but the kind of mass interest in knitting that has waxed lately (and at other times, too) is definitely a trend on the macro scale. (Faddy knitters are probably not ones to hang out on knitting boards!)

As for marketing, it would be hard for companies to entirely manufacture massive interest in knitting, no matter how hard they tried. That's why there are "coolhunters" who are paid to find the upcoming cultural trends just as they're born, before even the "early adopters" catch on.
Go to Top of Page

FibersFan
Warming Up

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  12:34:47 PM  Show Profile Send FibersFan a Private Message
I think these things tend to go in cycles. I have been on and off knitting, needlepoint, cross stitch, pottery, decoupage, tole painting, quilting, sewing, crewel, weaving, spinning, dyeing, you name it over many years. They are an ongoing array creative outlets and mediums that have been around and back several times...what's ld is new again!!!
Go to Top of Page

ddriver@berkeley.edu
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  1:06:22 PM  Show Profile Send ddriver@berkeley.edu a Private Message
Ditto to what RachelKnitter said.....

Another cynic who, after 50 loayl, unmarketed years, will never replace knitting with anything!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?