Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Substitute for Rowan Cotton Glace?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

knittingkitten
New Pal

Canada
39 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  8:17:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit knittingkitten's Homepage Send knittingkitten a Private Message
I'd really like to knit Gem from the new Rowan 37. Unfortunately the Cotton Glace is a bit out of my price range at this time. Does anybody have any good substitute yarns? I was looking through Elann.com and noticed the Jo Sharp Summer Soho and the Endless Summer Collection Sonata. Would these work or would it be too bulky? Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

---------
http://www.craftology.net/knitblog - The Mis-adventures of knitting

sewserious
Warming Up

90 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  04:24:29 AM  Show Profile Send sewserious a Private Message
Why not use Patons Grace? It is available at Michael's and online at Herrschner's among others. Herrschner's has it for $4.99 a skein (some colors are on sale for less) and it is 135 yds/50 g. A bit more yardage and about $2.00 a skein cheaper. You might even find a better price somewhere else on the internet.
Go to Top of Page

MoonKnitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
247 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  05:08:13 AM  Show Profile Send MoonKnitter a Private Message
Have you checked Ebay for the Cotton Glace? There are sellers listing this at $5.50 a skein or $40 a bag. There's actually a bag of the color "spice" listed for $30.

As for the Patons Grace mentioned above -- my sister has made clothes for my kids out of this, and it's a great yarn. I think it would make a great choice for a substitute.

Kelli
Go to Top of Page

AgnesB
Permanent Resident

USA
1152 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  08:19:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit AgnesB's Homepage Send AgnesB a Private Message
Is it true that you cannot machine wash Patons Grace? I'd like to make a kid's sweater out of it but if not machine wash, that's out of the question.

[img]http://photos3.flickr.com/6944418_c76df65d6c_m.jpg[/img]
Knitting in the Valley My Kitty Album
Everyone ought to worship God according to his own inclinations, and not to be constrained by force.
-Flavius Josephus
Go to Top of Page

MeezieGirl
Seriously Hooked

USA
623 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  09:21:31 AM  Show Profile Send MeezieGirl a Private Message
AgnesB

I just bought a ball to experiment with. Yes, the label does say hand wash and dry flat. But lots of times labels are the lawyers' way to CYA (cover your ***). I've seen lots of garments - silk and wool, for example - that are labelled "dry clean only" and I've washed them with no ill effects. You just need to know what you're doing. If you throw a "boughten" wool sweater into a hot washing machine and drier, guess what will happen? And lots of people would then blame the manufacturer, when it's their own lack of knowledge that caused the problem.

What I will do, and I suggest you can too, is to knit a nice swatch, write down the stitch and row gauges as is, then wash in cold and dry flat and write down gauges. Keep going through warm and hot by hand and by machine and in the drier. If you take gauges at each stage and look at how the yarn reacts, you'll see if it can be machine washed and dried. Make notes of how the yarn looks with each set of gauge numbers.

It may shrink a lot in length, for example, and if people knit with it without doing a gauge sample (and treating the gauge sample as the garment will be treated,) it could shrink so much as to "ruin" the garment. Again, it's CYA, and I can't blame the manufacturer. Ours is such a litigeous society. If the yarn looks good at all stages of washing, my temptation would be to knit it to the gauge for a hot machine wash and hot drier. Then treat the garment that way after it's all finished. You'd never have to worry about "what if they don't wash it the right way" problems.

What you would need to do is knit the garment to the measured row gauge, not to a tape-measured length, so you'll need to keep track of the number of rows you knit. This has the added benefit of making it easier to sew up, since all pieces will have the same number of rows at the same places (side seams, for example).

Give it a go, and see what happens. You're only investing in one ball and you could make the swatch large enough to be a washcloth when done.

Good luck, Dee
Go to Top of Page

Finnsmom
Warming Up

66 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  09:46:50 AM  Show Profile Send Finnsmom a Private Message
I got some of Elann's Endless Summer Collection and it works wonderfully as a sub for the Cotton Glace. For me it's knitting up just like the CG. And at $2.00 a ball, you can't beat the price.

Morgan
Don't mind my typos- I'm usually NAK!
http://shizzyknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AgnesB
Permanent Resident

USA
1152 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  10:18:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit AgnesB's Homepage Send AgnesB a Private Message
Thanks a lot, Dee. I happen to have some Patons Grace with me ... result of a previous project which I didn't read carefully and later found that even the largest size didn't fit me! Luckily it only called for 3 balls ... I should have known better, hahaha ... but that's OT.
And Morgan, I am using Endless Summer Collection Sonata together with Cotton Glace in an intarsia project. I discover that ESC tends to get "old" easily ... I don't know how to put it, but the cotton yarns seem to get a worn out look ... and I have just finished one sleeve. I tend to think maybe it was that particular colour. On the other hand, Cotton Glace has a much better quality. But still, I agree on the price and I would still be willing to give the lighter-coloured ESC a try.

Everyone ought to worship God according to his own inclinations, and not to be constrained by force.
-Flavius Josephus
Go to Top of Page

knittingkitten
New Pal

Canada
39 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  11:04:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittingkitten's Homepage Send knittingkitten a Private Message
AgnesB, what colour was your ESC in?

Thanks for all the help, I completely forgot about Paton's Grace! And I'll definitely check out e-bay too.

---------
http://www.craftology.net/knitblog - The Mis-adventures of knitting
Go to Top of Page

AgnesB
Permanent Resident

USA
1152 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  11:37:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit AgnesB's Homepage Send AgnesB a Private Message
I just got the code - 7195. It's an orange/rust colour.

-Flavius Josephus
Go to Top of Page

Finnsmom
Warming Up

66 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  11:48:19 AM  Show Profile Send Finnsmom a Private Message
maybe it's the darker colors that fade more...i'm using light colors (blue/white)

Morgan
Don't mind my typos- I'm usually NAK!
http://shizzyknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  1:59:58 PM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
I machine washed and dried (low heat) a swatch of bright red Paton's Grace at with no bleeding and no change of gauge. The finished hat was a gift so no info on durability, and my experience is no guarantee, but I'd use it again.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe