Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Seeking Patterns / Free Pattern Links
 Household Items and Accessories
 Novelty/Household patterns
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  4:33:25 PM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
Found this on eBay today. This is the book I've suggested when someone has asked for toilet roll covers, slippers, toys and tea cosies. It's usually easily foudn at garage sales, thrift stores etc but if anyone feels the urge, check out the link!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1790800969

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2002 :  12:46:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
Looks like the book has been sold, could you share the name of it?

thanks!

Martheme

Martheme of Sheep Hearth of Golden Leaf Camp
visit the EC Fans site http://ecfans.com/forums.htm
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2002 :  2:29:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Maybe it's my 22 year old ignorance, but what in the heck is the point of toilet paper roll covers? It's toilet paper. We all use it. It's OK.

Mindy to Heidi: Did I tell you she knits in class? She knits away and two weeks later she comes in wearing a new sweater!
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2002 :  08:15:30 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
From the point of view of someone who has seen too many toilet roll paper covers in her time, I believe they sprang up in the '50's, when the world was heavily into doilies and slipcovers. I only recall crocheted ones, not knitted ones, and they were pointless even then. (A spare roll of toilet paper belongs in the cabinet if you don't want to look at it.) I am sure some woman - it must have been a woman, men didn't crochet - was looking around for a next project and thought this up. Big gift item for teachers in small towns and at Xmas bazaars, especially as part of a set, with a cover for a Kleenex box or perhaps a thingie that one might hang on the wall as a decorative note.

The world has a long history of creating things that make folks a generation-and-a-half and after say, "Whaaat? Why would you need ____?" (Victorian silver serving pieces, with grape scissors and pickle forks are a fine example.) My question is, what's around now that will make our grandkids say, "Whaaat?"

lemons of missouri

Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2002 :  08:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
quote:

The world has a long history of creating things that make folks a generation-and-a-half and after say, "Whaaat? Why would you need ____?" (Victorian silver serving pieces, with grape scissors and pickle forks are a fine example.) My question is, what's around now that will make our grandkids say, "Whaaat?"

Pagers (beepers).

SUVs.

Super-Sized heart-clogging fast-food meals.

Low-Carb beer. (Sidenote: those new commercials with the athletes drinking low-carb beer are stupid. They're aimed at wannabe's who think that by drinking low-carb beer they're cool. All the athletic folks I know drink real beer. Carbs are good, especially for athletes. Duh.)

Polaroid cameras.

Amanda

Mindy to Heidi: Did I tell you she knits in class? She knits away and two weeks later she comes in wearing a new sweater!
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2002 :  12:13:43 PM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
After I posted the above, I went downstairs to work on my (first!) sock and watch the a.m. "Law and Order" rerun. It was a very early one - Paulie Sorvino et al - and Sorvino stops in Times Square and whips out a quarter and calls the precinct for something. And I realized one of the answers to my own question:

Pay phones!!!

lemons of missouri

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.