Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 On the Needles
 If life came with stitch markers . . .
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shelob
Chatty Knitter

187 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  8:18:33 PM  Show Profile Send Shelob a Private Message
So if life came with stitch markers, what kind would you use? split rings, solid rings, coil-less safety pins, dangling beaded ones, extra bits of yarn? Which kind and for what purposes -- how fixed? how easy to remove? And does this MATCH what you use when knitting? Or not? Or do you knit without the net in life and in yarn?

Just an extended analogy gone astray -- but I'm curious as to what people think and do!

~Shelob
"'Tis to create and in creating live
A being more intense that we endow
With form our fancy, gaining as we give
The life we image, even as I do now."

--Byron
Childe Harold's Pilgrimage, Canto III

http://caution-blind-driver.blogspot.com/

Hadjee
Warming Up

71 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  04:36:09 AM  Show Profile Send Hadjee a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Shelob

So if life came with stitch markers, what kind would you use? split rings, solid rings, coil-less safety pins, dangling beaded ones, extra bits of yarn? Which kind and for what purposes -- how fixed? how easy to remove? And does this MATCH what you use when knitting? Or not? Or do you knit without the net in life and in yarn?

Just an extended analogy gone astray -- but I'm curious as to what people think and do!

~Shelob

--Byron

Ah, a fellow Tolkien fan and poetry lover!
I love the query. I tried solid rings in both knitting and in life; and found that I prefer little bits of leftover yarn.
Go to Top of Page

crise
Chatty Knitter

337 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  05:00:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit crise's Homepage Send crise a Private Message
How about having a lifeline so if you mess up in life you can rip back without too many serious consequences?

Kris

2005 stats: 5 FO, 4 WIP, 3 USO
Finished: Wavy Scarf, lace scarf & 3 hats
Frogpond: Mittens to match Wavy
WIP: sample hat, felted bag, toddler cardigan and lace scarf
In the Wings: Hat to match Wavy, lace scarf & Christmas stocking

How is it that my USO & WIP never decrease, no matter how many FO I create?

Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  05:48:14 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Shelob- It would have to be with beads for color, shape, sparkle, and arranging in interesting combinations. KL
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  06:50:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message
Oh Dear.. I think mine would be a piece of string, a spaghetti hoop, one of my earrings and if all else fails a deep conviction that I will remember my place and not need a marker...

One day I will be organised, glamorous, serene and smug

...but not half so much fun as I am now

Jane

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  07:43:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
If life came with stitch marker, I'd have even more to clean out from the couch cushions of the universe when I stood up....

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  08:27:56 AM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
If life came with stitch markers...my knitting would be a huge blanket of memories that keep me warm, make me laugh, make me sad. Every marker would remind me just how far I've come through each stage of my life.

...and I'd definitely use coil-less safety pins! Who needs all those extra snags in life, it's tough enough already?!?!

Trish
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  08:31:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I would have them made in platinum set with diamonds. That way if my lifestyle needed frogging, I could sell them and start again.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

Garden mom
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  09:04:36 AM  Show Profile Send Garden mom a Private Message
Love your reply GFTC - I was thinking the same thing, but with different precious stones to remember each mark individually.
But alas, in real knitting life I end up using little bits of yarn.

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are right."
Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  09:49:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
My stitch markers would be colourful plastic (the circle kind, not the kind with a slit in 'em) or maybe sterling silver...(I lust after those ones in the KR boutique!!)

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  12:46:17 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
MIne would be the ones from beadmarkers@aol.com. And they always contrast with my yarn so I see them better.

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

xmasberry
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  1:11:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit xmasberry's Homepage Send xmasberry a Private Message
i'm afraid i'd have to know what i was doing in the first place to use markers.

holly x
"do what you love, love what you do, leave the world a better place and don't pick your nose" -Jef Mallett
Go to Top of Page

Shelob
Chatty Knitter

187 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  1:24:07 PM  Show Profile Send Shelob a Private Message
You all are GREAT! I've alternated between grinning in sympathetic chagrin, to smiling at the warmth, to trying not to spit my coffee onto the screen!

More things to get lost in the couch?? Yes! Earrings, special precious stones or metals -- and our standard bits and pins as well. Yes! I just in one of those places that I don't know enough of what I'm doing to know where to put the damned things most days -- But I'll remember the advice about safety lines and not being as much fun as am now if I actually got that organized in my life.

Wonderful!

~Shelob

--Byron

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  1:52:09 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
One thing I forgot! When I am knitting a large item I always mark my centre stitch with beadmarkers on either side. That would be so great if I could do that with this life!

Go to Top of Page

Shelob
Chatty Knitter

187 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  2:21:29 PM  Show Profile Send Shelob a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mokey

One thing I forgot! When I am knitting a large item I always mark my centre stitch with beadmarkers on either side. That would be so great if I could do that with this life!

Hmmmm I'd be thrilled to FIND my center stitch at this point! Oh, I tried the link to the beaded marker place -- couldn't get it to open; could you check it?

~Shelob

--Byron

Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  2:58:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I tend to make new stitch markers for each new project out of pretty colorful beads.
( sounds like my life too as I make a lot of stuff myself)
then after the project I lose the markers somewheres in the studio...
which could explain my mind
oye
vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/truly~violet/violet.jpg[/IMG]
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lace Lunatic
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
524 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  5:29:03 PM  Show Profile Send Lace Lunatic a Private Message
If life came with stitch markers, I probably wouldn't use them. It would be too easy for me to fixate on the frame to the exclusion of the big picture. In knitting, I use them only when absolutely necesssary and they mostly get in my way; so I suspect the same would apply in life.

Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  09:58:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
As I told you the other night at B&N, I'm afraid that if life came with stitch markers that would be just one more anal thing for me to obsess on! The LAST thing I need are more things to detail the minutea of my life!

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  12:15:53 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
There would be a broken one more than 30 years back...first marriage. Two bright, shiny ones, two years apart (my two sons). A dropped stitch amid a bunch of twisted stitches as the marriage fell apart. Then one made of diamond and bamboo, because even though my marriage is the best part of my life, it's totally down to earth, too. Smmmooooth knitting for 26 years...ok a few bumps in there along the way. Then four sleek golden ones, 2 about 3 years ago, bright and shiny and 2 about 6 months ago with a few bruises and tarnish to signify my greyhounds.

The nice thing is that my stitch marker holder seems to have a goodly supply left in it for what's left to come!!

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  06:10:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Stitch markers hmmmm...perhaps like some ones that I recently saw on ebay, they were called "counting sheep" numbered 0 through 9 and had a cute sheep dangling at the end of each one, I would pick these because I don't think I've been getting enough sleep lately.

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
www.Kneatles.com
Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  06:36:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
I'd be putting a lifeline at the end of every year. Id have frogged back to when I was 16 and tried again ;) This time, I'd make sure I don't dro the same stitches!

celia

My blog is here
http://celiaknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by