Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Suggest a poll
 Poll: What are your favorite kind of needles?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Anny
Warming Up

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  05:51:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Anny's Homepage Send Anny a Private Message
I am very curious to know what other knitters prefer knitting with needle wise. I have seen and worked with needles made from metal, plastic and bamboo. Personally I prefer the bamboo ones over metal and plastic by far. Lighter and the least amount of rubbing and clicking noises.

What are your favorite to work with and have I excluded other types of needles I'm not aware of?!

Thank you,
Anny

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  06:27:27 AM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
Overall, I guess I'd say wood needles, although I like my metal #1 DPNs - I don't think I'd be comfortable with wood in that size, because I'd be afraid they would break. I do like Baylene needles, except for that *thump* when the yarn goes over the bump to the actual needle. I would like to try Swallow casein needles someday.

"as if God had shrugged his shoulders (and) presently our civilization will once again belong to the misshapen, the moonstruck, and the damned" Woolcott Gibbs
Go to Top of Page

SweetJane
Chatty Knitter

168 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  06:31:19 AM  Show Profile Send SweetJane a Private Message
I use Addi's exclusively for my socks and shawls. Good joins, smooth needles.

I like Susanne's Rosewood needles for straight knitting. They are warm in your hand, I like the old-fashioned look of them.

Jane
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  10:34:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I use all kinds of needles and often choose the material based on the yarn I am using or even the color I am using. If I am using dark yarn I use light colored Clover or Crystal Palace bamboo or Brittany birch and for light yarn I use Susanne's ebony or Lantern Moon rosewood. Right now I am knitting socks with self-patterned Opal on turquoise plastic Cristal Nacre dpns; the last pair of socks was Lorna's on rosewood Lantern Moon dpns.

There are times that I use my old Boye aluminum needles (I love the coolness in my hands and I love the click). For afghans I might use circular Addis or circular bamboo. Scarves are made on 10" palmwood Lantern Moons or 9" CP and I have made many baby things on 3mm coated Aeros. I actually have favorite pairs of needles, such as the ones I used to make baby sweaters when DS was born or my 3mm Bryspun dpns from the original factory that I use for knitting socks with Koigu.

I am always buying needles and when I was on my "stash only" knitting time I bought an awful lot of needles. I also have every needle I've bought since I started knitting so that covers all materials - metal, aluminum, coated, bamboo, birch, ebony, palmwood, rosewood, nylon, plastic, & casein. I have accumulated various lengths in straight, circular, & dpns in US, UK, and metric sizes.

There is something about knitting needles that I can't resist and often I would rather buy needles than yarn. Years ago when only Boye or Hero was available in the US I asked people to bring me needles when they travelled to Europe. If I am buying yarn on the internet and have room left on the shipping charge I add a pair of needles. I have bought needles on eBay, in thrift shops, in LYS, on the internet, & through mail order. I keep track of all these needles on my PDA on KnitAble and I customized sections for each type. They are all in needle rolls in a travel duffle in my closet and nobody knows how many I have. If I take the whole bag out of the closet I lock the bedroom door because DH or DS would think I am truly out of my mind if they saw this collection.

The only needles I have that I don't especially like are straight Addis and Karabella. They are heavy and the yarn doesn't seem to like these needles. Also, I use dpns quite often and I don't like the metal ones.

Only KR people would understand this obsession.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4370 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  2:20:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I think I'm going to end up like you, GFTC! I have serious needle cravings these days, only I haven't acted on them -- yet. I want Lantern Moon DPNs, and more Addi circs, and more Crystal Palace circs too. Oh, and Lantern Moon straights, but I haven't used straights in years! I have only about 60 pairs/sets, though, all categorized in KnitAble on my PDA.

I do like to have all kinds of needles available to suit the project and the yarn (I don't color-coordinate yet either, but I can see it coming!). A knitter can never have too many needles, don't you agree?

Jane

"Books are where things are explained to you, life is where things aren't and I'm not surprised that some people prefer books." Julian Barnes

I've updated my album! -- Jane's Pages
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  3:51:57 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message

I love working with bamboo needles,as I find them smooth and easy to handle.Unfortunately, I only own two pairs of bamboo needles at the moment; the rest of my needle collection consists of steel and plastic needles which I have had for many years.

Leslie
Go to Top of Page

Fraggle
Seriously Hooked

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  8:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fraggle's Homepage Send Fraggle a Private Message
Metal, I only use metal, usually Boye brand. For me, I can't stand the way any yarn I've tried thus far moves over any other material.

~ Fraggle

". . . Or if you send me your size I'll knit you a new one" -Hawkeye on M*A*S*H

http://craftingandrambling.blogspot.com/
or www.youravon.com/mfluharty
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  8:46:45 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
I love DPN's and Circs. I use alot of bamboo and the nickle plated metal needles either addi, Bates, or Inox. I'm inclinded these days to buy the Inox because I don't see any difference from the addi's and they are at least 1/2 the price. Susan Bates also now has this type and are pretty good except the cable is a bit stiffer than the other two brands, but does soften nicely w/ the hot bath treatment. I only use wood dpns to knit sock because I don't lose stitches on the wooden needles. The only dpn's I have in metal are the 00,0, and 1's. I used to have them in wood but I've broken every one! So now only use the metal ones. I have several pairs of the balene type dpns and straights that I love and will buy more. I saw a site selling circs in the balene materials, but now can't find them....anyone see it too and if so do you remember where you saw them? Please PM me if you can help. Thanks.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  05:55:48 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
Oh, this sounds so sad, but -- I really like plastic. Love my Denise set, love my old solid molded nylon one, like the old Bates ones, except those cords are too stiff.
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4370 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  09:45:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I have some of those nylon needles, too, and for some reason I love them, even though the cords are a curly pain. I learned on them, so that must be it. And the tips are wonderfully pointy.

Jane

"Books are where things are explained to you, life is where things aren't and I'm not surprised that some people prefer books." Julian Barnes

I've updated my album! -- Jane's Pages
Go to Top of Page

Anny
Warming Up

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  3:13:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Anny's Homepage Send Anny a Private Message
Thanks to everyone who chimmed in with their preferences, it is great info. Before this thread, I didn't even know that bamboo circular and dbpn even existed! I will be getting some shortly :)

Vicky: What are you knitting with on 00 size needles? Thread?! I haven't even heard of needles so small!

GFTC: I love buying them too, not as much as you though! (yet that is, lol!) BTW, what are KR people?

Keep the answers coming!

Anny

Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  3:21:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
I've never used bamboo or wood needles. I have the Denise set, some aluminum straight left over from the "old days", some plastic big needles (17 & 35) and addi turbo circs in sz 1-4 for socks. As for which I prefer - depends on the project. I tried socks on bryspun dpns and while I liked way they felt, dpns totally frustrate me so for socks it is addis. the aluminum are fine for acrylics. and I've not yet found a yarn my Denise don't like although they are a tiny bit slippery for the bamboo yarn.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  3:37:16 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Addi for everything. I love how the stitches move so quickly and the needles are light weight with smooth joins.

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  3:47:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Anny

BTW, what are KR people?

We are KR people - the people who post on Knitter's Review.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

cozystitches
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  7:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit cozystitches's Homepage Send cozystitches a Private Message
Addis are my favorite!!! I have given away almost all my straights, and Boye (blech) circs. :) If not Addi Turbos, then it's my Inox circs. :) :) Love the circs....

Hugs,
tammy

Tammy
http://www.cozystitches.com
Go to Top of Page

slaggyc
Permanent Resident

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  7:49:18 PM  Show Profile Send slaggyc a Private Message
Oh, I love bamboo! I love how it feels and how it's smooth enough to slide the yarn (most types) but still holds the stitches well. I really do not like metal for some reason, I guess the sound and how it feels in my hands. I'm all for the bamboo! :)

Chelsey

(Current Projects: Clapotis, Misty Garden Scarf- Scarf Style)
Go to Top of Page

onealees
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2005 :  6:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit onealees's Homepage Send onealees a Private Message
I'm a Circ bamboo girl!

als

On the needles:
-- Fall 2004 Vogue Knitting shawl collar pullover in Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran
-- Debbie Bliss Shawl from Special Knits in Baby Cashmerino
-- Classic Elite Pattern 849 (Woodstock Revisited) in Cottonease
Go to Top of Page

KnitSteph
Chatty Knitter

121 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2005 :  6:35:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit KnitSteph's Homepage  Send KnitSteph a Yahoo! Message Send KnitSteph a Private Message
Anything wood really. I do like my Denise set though.

My Knitting Blog
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
Albert Camus (1913 - 1960)
Go to Top of Page

knittingnirvana
New Pal

Belgium
25 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  10:13:25 AM  Show Profile Send knittingnirvana a Private Message
Addi Turbo circulars are my needle of choice. I love how they feel in my hands and how fast they allow me to knit. I haven't tried bamboo and am very tempted to try them after reading the posts on this thread. I used wooden needles years ago. At first they were great but began to splinter, which surprised me, given how expensive they were. Addi's are pricey, but well worth the investment. My goal is to get every size Addi so I don't have to use my "backup" aluminum needles ever again!
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  7:23:42 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I have 'way too many needles, and yet never enough. I really shouldn't leave them in UFOs, should I?

I like my Denise, love my Inox Express, like Addis, haven't actually used wood or bamboo. I only use circs, and I find both the cords and the points on the Inox better than Addis.

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

isel
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  7:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit isel's Homepage Send isel a Private Message
I love my Denise, as well as my bamboo needles. For DPNs I prefer metal ones.

http://www.iselknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.