Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Suggest a poll
 Poll: What are your favorite kind of needles?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gmtlvsred
Warming Up

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  08:48:17 AM  Show Profile  Send gmtlvsred a Yahoo! Message Send gmtlvsred a Private Message
My favorites for straights are my old Bernat Aero metal needles with the super slick coating that I have had for 20+ years. I wish I had one in every size! For circs, I prefer my wolle-rodel needles I picked up in Germany. I have not found a dp that I really like, but use some vintage ones I picked up on ebay. I have many of the Boyes, but try to avoid them if at all possible.
Go to Top of Page

MijTink
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  10:53:01 PM  Show Profile Send MijTink a Private Message
Addi Turbo straights for most any garment. For some reason I don't like circs and always use Inox DPN's for socks, gloves, hats, etc. I avoid circs because the needles feel too short in my hands.

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you understand what you are doing."
-Guarantee Reserve Guardian
Go to Top of Page

umbaba
Seriously Hooked

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  12:40:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit umbaba's Homepage Send umbaba a Private Message
I just got in a shipment of the new flexible plastic Bryspun circular needles. I am trying them on all sorts of yarn and I think they are the cat's pajamas. They are under $8 retail and are available in 16,24,and 29 inch long cords in sizes 3-15. They aren't cold, they have the longish pointy tip (so when you are knitting you have to really get the stitch up onto the part of the needles that forms the size) of the Bryspuns and they are really easy on the hands. I think it will be hard for me to use anything else - I used to use bamboo and Addi's.

Yummy!!

...as soon as I finish this row

www.abundantyarn.com
Go to Top of Page

crise
Chatty Knitter

337 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  07:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit crise's Homepage Send crise a Private Message
Overall, I'm not that picky, other than I hate straights. For some reason they seem to put more stress on my hands than circs. I think it is just the weight of the project hanging off the end... Otherwise, I match the needle to the project. Socks I prefer to do on bamboo because they grip the stitches a bit better and I'm not constantly dropping them. I also seem to have fewer ladders with the bamboo. I also like the way they flex, but it does make me nervous that i will snap my size 0's! I thought ahead and bought an extra set.

Most of my metal needles are Susan Bates or Inox. Nothing fancy, but they do the trick.

Kris

2005 stats: 9 FO, 5 WIP, 6 USO, 1 Frogpond

How is it that my USO & WIP never decrease, no matter how many FO I create?

Go to Top of Page

knittherapy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  07:51:51 AM  Show Profile  Send knittherapy a Yahoo! Message Send knittherapy a Private Message
I love my Denise needles so much I bought my cousin and best friend each a set for their birthdays!

Lori [img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]

My knitting photos
Go to Top of Page

janile44

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  09:57:50 AM  Show Profile Send janile44 a Private Message
>>>I just got in a shipment of the new flexible plastic Bryspun circular needles. I am trying them on all sorts of yarn and I think they are the cat's pajamas. They are under $8 retail and are available in 16,24,and 29 inch long cords in sizes 3-15.<<<
...as soon as I finish this row

www.abundantyarn.com
[/quote]

Where did you get your Bryspun circulars!!! I love the Bryspun dpn's and straights and didn't even know they made circs! Are the cables nice and flexible? I also love, love, love bamboo needles. Clovers for straights, Crystal Palace or Plymouth for dpn's. Also, Brittany Birch are nice for dpn's, but the other two are my faves for those. For circs, I've liked the Addi's.

Jackie
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  10:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message
I'm hopelessly devoted to my Denise set... I've had it for a few months over a year.. and now I'm even thinking of expanding it with buying more accessories.. (I already have the 52" cord.. hee)

I love how smooth they are and how versitile.. I also love how their cords are soft and easy to use, no cord fighting for me anymore : )

Before I got the set I had to buy new needles to start just about any project.. and that was really hard when my gauge was off! Now that I have just about every size I can gauge swatch properly like a good lil knitter.

Before them I was using Boyle metal needles, I've always wondered why their circs's coating was so much different than their straights.. I used to love their straights coating.. but their circ coating sucks majorly. So rough and slow. I've also tried bamboo circs but I couldn't stand them at all.

-Kim-

The Kimmish Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

roofth
Seriously Hooked

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  11:37:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit roofth's Homepage  Send roofth a Yahoo! Message Send roofth a Private Message
i'm a metal kinda gal... i learned on boye straights when i was a little girl. i used plastic straights once, and my yarn was squeeking on the needles and that really bothered me alot. then i used bamboo dpn's, and i didn't like how they clung so much to my yarn (and i didn't realize how soft bamboo was - there are indentations/markings everywhere after just a single use! and i don't think i knit *too* violently hehe)

i have susan bates straights, and boye circulars (the needlemaster set). i've heard wonderful things about addis, and hope to one day try them out.

http://ruthknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.