Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 New Cat Bordhi book
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lalam
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  4:03:23 PM  Show Profile Send lalam a Private Message
Hi all,

I have just tried my first Moebius scarf from the book. I had major trouble with the needles. I used Crystal Palace bamboo needles and one of the bamboo pieces got disconnected from the cord when I was pulling the material to spread it evenly over the needles. I have spent a lot of time picking up the stitches and transferring them onto brand new Denise needles. After two rows, these, too, broke - the cord got pulled off the needle, and I did check that they were securely locked! Anyone had needle troubles before? I find that I have to pull at the fabric every 5-10 min because it all seems to bunch up on one side - if this makes any sense.

Thanks
Lala

Lalam
Go to Top of Page

leftyknits
Warming Up

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  7:16:11 PM  Show Profile Send leftyknits a Private Message
Lalam,
I have done some of Cat's patterns on my Denise needles and have had no trouble. Do you think you may be knitting too tightly? I have also never had them come unhooked! Hope you have better luck next time!

-Crystal

Go to Top of Page

blueknitter999
Warming Up

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  11:47:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit blueknitter999's Homepage Send blueknitter999 a Private Message
I bought Cat's Second Treasury of Magical Knitting at my LYS a few weeks ago. I was just trolling through the book section, and while I had heard of Cat's book, I hadn't yet seen it. I looked at a few of the Moebius baskets, and plunked my money right down. I'm the kind of knitter (and reader, coincidentally) that works on one project at a time, so I've been racing through the Trek sweater from the latest Rowan so that I could jump into a felted basket and a sling bag. I showed the book to a non-knitting cat lover, who has demanded that I make her one of the cat beds. I can't wait to dive in!

Check out my blog: http://berrieh.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knittherapy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  11:47:41 AM  Show Profile  Send knittherapy a Yahoo! Message Send knittherapy a Private Message
I too have the second book, and have quite a few of the projects in it on my To Do list (when I'll actually get to them is another matter entirely). What a great technique. Glad to see Cat's posting, too. Those that were asking about the model being Cat, there is a photo of her in the (second) book, towards the back.

Cat bed, basket, sling bag.... which to make first?!

Lori [img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]

My knitting photos
I'm blogging now!
Go to Top of Page

LauraT
Warming Up

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  3:42:30 PM  Show Profile Send LauraT a Private Message
Excuse me, just a couple questions, please.

Does this method of sock-knitting knit both socks at once?
Is it a toe-up or cuff-down method?

I'd love to get rid of my set of 5 dpns! Lots of dropped stitches, I've pulled out the wrong needle at times, etc., etc., etc. A simpler method might bring more joy into my sock-knitting experiences.

Laura

When daughter was 2, I told her to choose some "real" food instead of candy for a snack. "But Mom, candy IS real" said she. ;-)

http://home.earthlink.net/~knitchicks/
Go to Top of Page

OopsyDaisy
Chatty Knitter

Japan
153 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  04:34:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit OopsyDaisy's Homepage Send OopsyDaisy a Private Message
Hi Laura (and everyone else),
In "Socks Soar", she explains how to do one sock on two circulars. From things I've read, I think it's possible to do 2 socks on 2 circs, but I haven't figured it out yet. I'd like to, since I have a real problem getting motivated for sock #2, so if anyone knows how to explain this easily, I'm all ears.
I love knitting socks on 2 circulars. I don't mind dpns, but I definitely prefer the ease of knitting on 2 circs. One problem I always have, I can't figure out which needle to use when I pick up stitches for the gusset. I always end up having to rearrange my stitches.
Can't wait to see the new book!
Kim

Kim
http://eumallos.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  04:10:19 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by OopsyDaisy

Hi Laura (and everyone else),
In "Socks Soar", she explains how to do one sock on two circulars. From things I've read, I think it's possible to do 2 socks on 2 circs, but I haven't figured it out yet. I'd like to, since I have a real problem getting motivated for sock #2, so if anyone knows how to explain this easily, I'm all ears.
There are a number of on-line sources for this, but essentially, you use 2 balls of yarn (or the inside and outside strands of one) and cast on each sock with a seperate strand.
quote:
I love knitting socks on 2 circulars. I don't mind dpns, but I definitely prefer the ease of knitting on 2 circs. One problem I always have, I can't figure out which needle to use when I pick up stitches for the gusset. I always end up having to rearrange my stitches.

I haven't read the book, but if I understand what I've read about it correctly, she has you knit the socks in profile - half the instep and half the sole on ea. needle. It's far simpler to have all your insole sts. on one needle, and all your sole sts. on the other. If you're working on 2 socks, though, you'd have to transfer one to st. holders while you work the heel of the other. I havn't found a practical way to do them both at once. It can be done if you do short row heels, but it's really not practical.

Barbara

Healthy conservatism promotes the continuity of civilization, the importance
of community, the dangers of thoughtless change. It does not, or should not,
assert the right of white, Christian heterosexual males of a certain age to
limit the rights of everyone else. The past 100 years of social history has
been dedicated, on good days, to constraining the dominance of this
minority. Yesterday was a good day: J.Ibbotson, June 29/05, on the passing of the same-sex marriage bill.

Go to Top of Page

knitonebeadtoo
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  2:59:59 PM  Show Profile Send knitonebeadtoo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by lalam

Hi all,

I have just tried my first Moebius scarf from the book. I had major trouble with the needles. I used Crystal Palace bamboo needles and one of the bamboo pieces got disconnected from the cord when I was pulling the material to spread it evenly over the needles. I have spent a lot of time picking up the stitches and transferring them onto brand new Denise needles. After two rows, these, too, broke - the cord got pulled off the needle, and I did check that they were securely locked! Anyone had needle troubles before? I find that I have to pull at the fabric every 5-10 min because it all seems to bunch up on one side - if this makes any sense.

Thanks
Lala

Lalam

Go to Top of Page

knitonebeadtoo
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  3:01:34 PM  Show Profile Send knitonebeadtoo a Private Message
You do know that Crystal Palace had trouble with their needles and now have resolved the problem? The glue they were using wasn't holding and we had to return alot of knittings from the shop. They are great needles but I'm sure it was horrible to loose the stitches!
Go to Top of Page

KnittyMe
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  04:04:17 AM  Show Profile Send KnittyMe a Private Message
In her new book, A Second Treasury of Magical Knitting, what size needles does she recommend for most of the projects? I will be receiving this book as a gift very soon and I will want to get started ASAP. (can you tell I am excited!?) I know most are on 47 inch circular needles,..but what size
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.