Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Best yarns and fibers for felting
 Knitpicks Sock Garden?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stargazer
New Pal

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  10:28:49 AM  Show Profile Send stargazer a Private Message
Hi All,

I can't tell from their website if Knitpicks' Sock Garden will felt or not -- some of their yarn says "superwash" in the description, but this doesn't. Has anyone tried it? Don't worry, I won't make felted socks!

-Ann

metromaples
Seriously Hooked

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  12:36:03 PM  Show Profile Send metromaples a Private Message
I have some of this yarn (Knitpicks' Sock Garden Geranium colorway) in progress for socks. It is 100% merino and the label say hand wash and dry flat, so I'm guessing if you don't hand wash, it'll felt. I'm wondering if I'm crazy for knitting socks that have to be hand washed...

So what are you going to make with sock yarn that felts?

Jeri
Go to Top of Page

happyfroggyknits
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  06:25:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit happyfroggyknits's Homepage  Send happyfroggyknits a Yahoo! Message Send happyfroggyknits a Private Message
Sigh....yes it felts. Wonderfully in fact. In cold water even. I just wish my DH hadn't decided to experiment with a pair of sock I had just finished the night before and hadn't had a chance to wear.

Leanne

http://happyfroggyknits.squarespace.com
Go to Top of Page

bigggk
Chatty Knitter

115 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  07:03:42 AM  Show Profile Send bigggk a Private Message
ahhh Leanne, you poor thing. That stinks. Is he still alive to tell about it?

Karen

Go to Top of Page

stargazer
New Pal

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  09:21:51 AM  Show Profile Send stargazer a Private Message
Oh no, that's terrible! How anti-climactic.

Well, I don't know exactly what I want to felt with sock yarn, yet. Here's my thinking: I loooooooooooove Manos variegated, but it's so expensive! I keep seeing all this pretty sock yarn, all multicolored, and want to make some sort of felted bag with it. All the sock yarn I've seen so far since I got this idea is superwash, until I saw the knitpicks.

So, while I am sorry that your socks got felted, I'm glad to have an answer to my question! I love the Stargazer Lily and the Morning Glory colors. Won't they make pretty bags? I don't really know which pattern I'll use, if any, because I think the sock garden is a lot finer than worsted. So it will be an experiment, but won't it be fun?

-Ann
Go to Top of Page

happyfroggyknits
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  09:49:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit happyfroggyknits's Homepage  Send happyfroggyknits a Yahoo! Message Send happyfroggyknits a Private Message
Ann - I have both of those yarns in my stash and I just love the colors. I will admit to petting them once in a while, just because.

Karen - DH was so upset with what he had done...it was on par with the time he missed a pen and it exploded all over a bunch of brand new shirts. With this track record its a wonder that he still does the laundry...but I hate it that much!

Leanne

http://happyfroggyknits.squarespace.com
Go to Top of Page

bigggk
Chatty Knitter

115 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  10:24:06 AM  Show Profile Send bigggk a Private Message
I checked out the Sock Garden and I am thinking it would be cool to felt with, but the weight is so light, I was thinking it could get expensive as a felt option. 50g skeins are $4. You would need alot of skeins to make something of size....and doubling doesn't seem like a viable option.

Leanne- I hear you, laundry is the worst for me too. A close second to grocery shopping. I think I would rather stick hot knitting needles in my eyes than grocery shop. LOL
Go to Top of Page

fierymyst
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  7:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit fierymyst's Homepage Send fierymyst a Private Message
maybe you could double strand it with a solid, one of their other wools available, maybe palette since it isnt' too thick, I haven't seen either of those to know if it would be thick enough but it might be worth a try and create a nice effect....
Go to Top of Page

go get your smock
Chatty Knitter

328 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  5:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit go get your smock's Homepage Send go get your smock a Private Message
Leanne!

Sorry about your sock crisis. I went downstairs to the washer during a recent felt, to discover the dryer running! Heart in throat! But spouse did NOT dry the handbag in the dryer -only the accompanying jeans. Whew!

Well, aside from the fact the socks are now too small, how were they otherwise? How sturdy was the final fabric? Could it be strong enough for small containers, like for eyeglasses or coins? Did it still have some stretch? And how did the colors blend? Did you find the patterning from the color changes appealing? Not?

Diane in Chicago

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/carrington3000/my_photos
Go to Top of Page

snootylooter
New Pal

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  05:28:35 AM  Show Profile Send snootylooter a Private Message
Knitpicks does have a free pattern for a felted cloche-style had that is one strand of Wool of the Andies and one strand of Sock Landscape, however the Landscape may just work as a carrier, I can't tell from looking at the photos. It sure is a pretty had, though!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe