Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Shawls and Scarves
 Leaf Lace Shawl?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  11:33:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Actually I was searching around this forum for a cowl/scarf that could be knit in the round and came across this shawl pattern by Fiber Trends. Iím wondering how complicated it is. I pretty much straight knit/purl I know a few increases and Make one stitches and a decrease or two but Iím dyslectic when it comes to complex patterns. I have done a few wash cloths with patterns just to see if I could do it. Not too much of a problem if I make out 3 X 5 cards and flip them as I progress.

I would like to knit this project for my wife for Christmas out of my home spun wool. What weight should I spin?

I guess if I get the pattern I can figure out how much yarn I would need but does anyone think I could do this? Any encouragement would be appreciated, I know Iím going to do it, Iím just kind of wondering if Iím starting early enough.

The shawl in question
http://www.pacificwoolandfiber.com/images/Knitting%20Kits/Leaf%20Lace%20Shawl.jpg

Mike

MMario
Permanent Resident

2208 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  11:44:13 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
Mike - the kiri shawl (a free online pattern) has a similar leaf pattern and uses approx 900 yards of a lace-weight on 4.5 mm needles.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  11:50:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
Hi Mike,

I just did this pattern as a sample for my shop. I did it in a sport weight yarn you could also use lighter yarns for a lacier effect. The shawl can also be done in 2 sizes, you could spin enough yarn for the large one, and then stop knitting at the small one if you run out of time.

Let me know if you need more info.

Martheme

visit my sites:
http://www.inspirationsyarn.com & http://martheme.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  12:07:28 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I have this pattern but I have not made it yet. I have heard that it is pretty easy and a good project for beginning lace knitters. I say go for it.

Anita

Anita
My completed projects
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  2:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Thanks, I have about 7 maybe 8, 6 to 8 oz skeins already spun. I think 3 or 4 of them would be thin enough. A bin of baby alpaca just arrived in the mail which complicates things a little, man that stuff is soft. I think I can do in time.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

MeezieGirl
Seriously Hooked

USA
623 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  4:48:57 PM  Show Profile Send MeezieGirl a Private Message
MMario

Do you have a link to the Kiri shawl?

Thanks, Dee
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  5:16:25 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
I haven't done that particular pattern but judging from the picture it looks pretty straightforward. No knitted on lace borders and anything like that.

If you are still interested in cowls, Heartstrings has some nice patterns although they call them smoke rings for some reason:

http://www.heartstringsfiberarts.com/coverings.shtm#a49
Go to Top of Page

anang310
Chatty Knitter

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  7:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit anang310's Homepage Send anang310 a Private Message
I just finished one in dk weight yarn...took 7 120 yd. skeins. It's a fairly straightforward pattern. Once I got it started, I just had to carefully follow the charts and keep track of my knitting. If you take your time, use lifelines, and follow the instructions (they're excellent), you'll be fine!

http://www.anitaderouen.net/knitnut
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  04:02:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Thanks for the cowl link. I'm just finishing up the Spring Fling Bag in purple (from Pursenalites)I just need to finish the I cord and cut 3 buttons from a piece of "Purple Heart" wood I have under my bench. I thought a cowl would go great with the bag. It's for a friend who is nuts about purple and furry stuff.

I'm still trying to get a good understanding of yarn weights but I have a general idea in WPI.

Thanks for all the input, I'm getting a good start on my Christmas list for this year.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2208 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  06:12:54 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
Dee - Kiri pattern is posted on the alltangledup blog

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

SurfinSandy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
473 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  12:06:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit SurfinSandy's Homepage Send SurfinSandy a Private Message
I just followed the link, and got diverted to the home page. On the homepage is a link, but it says "corrected Error, Jan 10, 2005." So if anyone got the pattern before then, look again.
Oh, Mike.... (as I pat you on the back)we need more guys like you in this country. It would probably save a few marriages! (he he he ) What an awsome hubby you are, and person as well. That shawl looks gorgeous. Go for it, if it doesn't work out, she'll love you for trying!
Ok gals, lets help him choose between homespun (or he-spun, lol) or alpaca. hmmmmmm......alpaca sure is soft, but yarn you spun yourself.....wow! I'm no help...you're right, tough choice. (I'm still knitting walmart yarn )

Surfin'Sandy

No man has ever been shot while doing the dishes.
Go to Top of Page

galleylama
Seriously Hooked

753 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  05:46:23 AM  Show Profile Send galleylama a Private Message
mike,
this is a simple shawl, I just count as I move along and you shouldn't have any problems with it. If my husband knit me something I would just fall over- you have a lucky wife.

It is easier to be forgiven than to receive permission.
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  05:58:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Well, the alpaka needs to be spun. It may not happen fast enough. Also, its brown but man is it soft. I like the looks of the one at Fiber Trends in off white trimmed in cranberry.

I've knit my wife a sweater and a few hats, I think this shawl will blow her away.

I just finished this for a friend of ours. It turned out pretty cool. I know our frind will love it its her color and furry.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/82890704/321856343zsEEDQ I was going to use "Purple Heart Wood" but it needs contrast and I desided to make the buttons out of maple.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

knittin away
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  06:03:16 AM  Show Profile
I bought the leaf lace shawl pattern because of its ease in making and one can use a variety of yarn sizes - the pattern picture shows 2 different sizes. If I think I can tackle it you can - it's really not a difficult pattern. Let us know how it's coming out.
Go to Top of Page

FluffyKnitterDeb
New Pal

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  06:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit FluffyKnitterDeb's Homepage Send FluffyKnitterDeb a Private Message
Hi Mike!

I recently made the Leaf Lace Shawl in Neon (hot pink, bright orange and sunshine yellow!) Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport. It came out GREAT!! I made the large size and added one pattern repeat and used 5.5 skeins.

It's a pretty easy knit but looks so impressive!

One word of caution, when doing the K2tog or the centered double decrease you can "lose" the one knit stitch and have your shawl unravel!! It happend to me but I caught it quickly so no great damage, thank goodness!!

I did read on some blog tho, that it happened to someone but at the BEGINNING of her shawl but she didn't find it until she was blocking it! The entire top started to unravel and being knit from the top down, she was unable to salvage it and had to frog the whole thing!!
Be safe and "stretch" your rows at least after every pattern repeat to make sure you havent dropped stitches! And use lifelines to save your sanity if you do need to frog!

One more thing, BIRCH from Rowan #34 is a lovely shawl as well but unlike Leaf Lace, is made by casting on 299 stitches and decreasing as you work the pattern to one stitch! KIRI is a combination of BIRCH and the LEAF LACE shawl...it uses Birch's leaf pattern in a top down version of Leaf Lace! I've made 2 Birches (pics of #2 on my blog) and one Leaf Lace and I see a Kiri in my future so now you have even more decisions :)

I *heart* lace knitting, can you tell?

Good luck in whatever you choose!!

Fluffy Knitters are well rounded :)
Read my blog at http://fluffyknitterdeb.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittin away
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  05:33:43 AM  Show Profile
http://www.alltangledup.com/

This is link to the blog site/Kiri pattern of the knitter who designed Kiri, as mentioned above. Very nice shawl.
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  06:15:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Hello Deb, I swung by the LYS on the way to rehearsal last night, the owner sat down with me and got me started on this project. I felt pretty stupid once I saw what was to be done. Two or three things I didn't understand were cleared up in just a minute or two.

I see you live in the county just north of me.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  08:26:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
I could never have guessed how insane I would become trying to knit this leaf Lace Shawl. If it wasnít for the fact that I really want to make this for my wifeís Christmas gift not only would I have given up by now but I would have put the whole project through the shredder.

I am glad I kept at it. It has caused strange things to happen to my mind. I have major trouble with numbers and keeping tract of things. Twice I had to run down to the LYS for rescue.

Row 29 alone came close to destroying my sanity. It was this row that sent me back to the yarn shop the second time. I couldnít get past it. In a few of my earlier attempts at row 29 I frogged the whole project because I botched it up so bad trying to un-knit and figure out the problem. The wonderful women at the LYS were more than happy to help me out but it soon became apparent that they also had trouble with row 29. The woman is so skilled that she could see the problem and that it existed in the pattern itself. She fixed it and wrote the correction down for me.

I am now up to row 81, I can see a slight mistake in my early rows but guess what, I wasnít made perfect and neither will this shawl be. I have learned more about knitting in this one project than in the last two years. I have learned more about how my mind works than in the last 20 years. I can see the pattern and know what series of stitches need to be under the row Iím knitting. Iím still making mistakes but I can see them now and no latter than the next row. Some of them I have been able to fix without frogging down to the event. I really have to pay attention to ďYOĒ they where killing me. I learned that I can slip stitches to a missed ďYOĒ and not have to un-knit to it.

When I look at the lace patterns you guys are doing I am absolutely in awe, I wonít say I could never do it but I canít say I have a lot of lacey projects in me either. It is getting easier and Iím making less mistakes. I wouldnít go as far to say that this leaf lace shawl has changed my life but it has effected me and opened my eyes to the amazing things you all are doing and that hurdles that seem too great can be overcome, well at least with knitting.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  09:06:33 AM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
Mike...I love my husband and he does everything he can for me, a very, very unselfish man...but I can't imagine him ever making a lace shawl for me for Christmas!

I want to cry just reading that you're even thinking about doing that, much less that you've forged ahead and come so far in your project.

I said in another post that got lost in Tuesday's crash that I'm amazed that you run a motorcycle business, make guitars (those pictures are amazing) and ghees....you even knit (probably much better than me).

I would just melt if my husband knitted anything for me!!!

Forget diamonds and Mercedes....a knitted shawl for Christmas...made by my husband?....I'd be putty in his hands for the rest of my life.

Your wife is a very lucky woman.....and, no doubt she knows it!

Trish
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  10:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Well, I don't know about all that, I still have to be reminded to take the garbage out. She was pretty happy with me when I dumped a bunch of cash on a new Consew 205RB-6 for her a few weeks ago.

Usually she is very supportive in my Christmas projects for my family. I usually get her what she likes, I know what she likes better than she does some times. I was going to make her a shawl last year at the rendezvous but Carol Leigh couldnít make it. She has always been there in the past and in her event list she will be there next Jan. She brings her triangle looms and teaches you this technique as you weave a shawl. On those cool evenings as we take a last walk around camp before the sun sets it would be nice for her to have an elegant shawl to keep off the chill. She will next Jan.

Itís hard to have a secret big project as a gift for her. Knitting has made this a possibility, itís not like sheíll notice one set of circle needles missing from my worm bag, or even all the sets missing :o)

I have produced enough wash cloths over the last 2 years knitting at work that I can use them for checking the oil in the truck with out a problem and itís time to move on to bigger and better stuff. This is a cool project and she will be floored when she opens it on Christmas morning. For once it wonít be the huge project for mom, or my sisters but for her. Ha! The guilt will keep me out of trouble for at lest 3 or 4 weeks :o)

Mike
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  10:30:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
We all knew she was a lucky woman to have you, Mike. I'm sure she'll LOVE it!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.