Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Shawls and Scarves
 Leaf Lace Shawl?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  10:39:51 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
Mike - I know it works with sisters - and I suspect you'll get a longer run with a wife.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  04:52:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
I took a picture for a woman on another forum. I can see a few more mistakes in the beginning but I think I will just let this first attempt be what it is.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/82890704/349264029XjUZdQ

Mike
Go to Top of Page

galleylama
Seriously Hooked

753 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  6:31:01 PM  Show Profile Send galleylama a Private Message
Mike, sorry to jump in at so late a date, my computer has been in for repairs 5 times!
anyway- I am just finishing this and I'll tell you what has made this much easier for me. (keep in mind that this is my 2nd shawl)
I typed out rows 31,33,35,37 and 39 each on a seperate page in large bold type and printed them out and stapled them together. I just follow the page, and then do the purl return row and then flip the page to the next patterned row. I also made a chart on an index card listing the rows across the top and down below the number of stitches on that row. As I begin the row I circle the correct number of stitches and then tick it off when I finish it with the return purl row. This has helped me keep track of how many repeats I am at and if I leave my knitting for several days I can find right where I am quickly.
PJ

It is easier to be forgiven than to receive permission.
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  03:43:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Hey PJ, great minds think alike. I did the same thing on 3 X 5 cards. I don't quite understand the charts yet. I printed the "*" in red and the bracketed repeat lines blue. I also printed out 31 through 39 in bold on heavy card stock. I made the line numbers a blank line along with the repeats and number of stitches to count. Two pages front and back gives me 4 series of pattern. I erase the completed ones and fill in for the next series.

I am amazed how this project has improved my knitting. the mistakes I thought I saw in the above photo do not exist except for one near the top. I've played music my whole life and remembered that I can count by 5 much more accurately than by 2s or even 1s, counting this way has really removed the tedium and mistakes in counting that I have been experiencing.

I am at row 109 now the small pattern calls for 10 repeats of this series and I'm finishing up on 8.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

bogiebogie
Permanent Resident

USA
1076 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  06:21:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit bogiebogie's Homepage Send bogiebogie a Private Message
Hi Mike,

I just started this shawl in Cherry Tree Hill Super Sock Merino and I love it. Soon after I started the pattern, I wrote Fiber Trends to see if there were any pattern corrections. Here's their response:

quote:
Now, about your Leaf Lace Shawl. It has been pretty well tested, but I do know of one problem in the first printing that went undetected for quite awhile. It is in the written instructions (chart is correct) on row 29. The first asterisk is in the wrong place. Should be

Row 29: k2, *yo, k1, [yo, k1, ssk, p1, k2tog, k1, yo, k3] 2x, yo, k1, ssk, p1, k2tog, k1, yo, k1, yo,* k1, repeat from * to *, k2. (67 sts)

You're already past it, but it may help someone else who has a problem with it.

You should tell the LYS that has the incorrect pattern to contact Fiber Trends. When Fiber Trends finds an error, they contact all their distributors and attempt to replace the pattern with the correct version.

Progress photo:
http://knitflix.blogspot.com/2005/05/clogs-cherry-tree-hill-and-leaf-lace.html

Cheers!

--JK
http://knitflix.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  07:32:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Thank you. I should have contacted Fiber Trends about this.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  9:53:36 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Mike, it's lovely. I even like the yarn, and I'm not a big fan of green. If she doesn't absolutely love it, she needs her head examined!!!

And, by the way, I think I would have used 'gratitude' rather than 'guilt', but that's just me.

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  06:50:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Actually it's white, it's Classic Yarns Cashsoft 4 Ply. I know she will love it, it is very much her stlye though she has never owned a shawl before.

That must be one of the differences between men and women, we are born with guilt any you guys get the graditude :o)

Mike
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  10:28:24 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
That's really strange. I'd swear it looked green on my monitor at home, but checking from the library, it looks cream.

Whatever colour it is, it's beautiful, and she'll love it.

Barbara

My photos:
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  12:34:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
Mike almost unknowingly, you have stumbled onto the secret of knitting..

knitting like prayer, or meditation, remains the same, and we change as a result of it
(the classic is, prayer doesn't change things. Prayer changes people, and people change things.)

knitting makes me a better person. i learn to deal with problems in a productive way, i learn to be more tollerent of mistakes, (mine and others)i learn to act locally, but think globally.. (knit one stitch at a time, but make a huge shawl, where what each stitch does effects other in geometric proportion!)

the gift you are giving your wife, is a better you. (the shawl is just a tangile expression of it) She'll love both.

See my photo albums, (edit-NO PASSWORD REQUIRED) http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  2:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
“Mike almost unknowingly, you have stumbled onto the secret of knitting.”

Yes, I see the patterns of life in almost all the things I do. History is full of references to fiber arts to understand life around them. Some of the oldest go back 10 thousand years or more. Like “Wool Gathering” I pick this one because of its ancient source and its modern meaning of a wandering mind. Knitting is a great conduit into self. It takes attention to purpose at one level and turns the mind introspective and self assessing on another.

On the other hand a woman at a local knitting guild meeting told me that’s all non-sense and that she doesn’t believe in all that crap. I don’t subscribe to that particular point of view. The world is a mystery to be enjoyed not explained. This seems to be the basic two camps.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  03:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Man, sombody PLEASE tell me it will get easier. I spent 35 min. this morning trying to fix a mistake I encountered yesterday waiting in the dentist office. Just as I was about to rip it out and trying to figure which discombobulated piece of yarn to put over the needle for the right count and did it, it was fixed. The amount of time I'm spending making all these stitches perfect and right is about equal to the time I'm actually knitting. The longer the rows get the more my mind seems to rebel.

Maybe I'll just knit to the center seam rather than try to do a whole row at a time. I'm up to 279 stitches a row. I was supposed to be done at 267 for my yarn and needle size but I checked my gauge and I'm getting the stitch per inch of the lace weight. It is not tight (see the above linked picture) besides I rather it be a little large than too small. Only 14 more rows to go, then the edging.

At home I started knitting seed stitch wash cloths again in an attempt to establish some sanity :o)

Mike
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  06:03:03 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
yes mike - it gets easier - "reeading" lace is a little more difficult then reading most other knitting (at least it feels it to me and I have heard others say the same) but after a while you get to the point that you notice before you get more then a couple stitches on. usually. sometimes. okay - maybe once in a while - but you *DO* notice sooner.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  06:39:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Yeah, I'm catching most of the mistakes with in 2 or 3 stitches. It's when everything is lineing up, you reach the end of the row then the count is off that kills me. Even this is usually a quick fix as I will mark it and fix it when I get to it. Every once in a while though I get what I am now calling a puzzle stitch, like the one I mentioned above.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  3:23:17 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I find that I compulsively count sts. within sections (btwn the st. markers for pattern repeats), so I generally know immediately if I've made an error. But yesterday, I found a mistake 4 rows back, and I managed to fix it without frogging! I was so proud of myself.

Barbara

My photos:
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  06:57:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Wow, 4 row back, I can't understand how you could fix it. I have a finished cap that I found a dropped stitch in I just have another piece of yarn tied to it to keep it from running. Eventually I will use a piece of yarn of the same type and weave it in, it will felt in a little in the wearing.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  10:08:26 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Well, Fran kept saying it could be done, so I decided to try it. I just frogged the little section, put the sts. on a tiny crochet hook (I don't own any DPN, and re-knit them correctly. So I guess, technically, I frogged, just not the whole thing. 28 sts (4 * 7) sure beats over 700 sts.

Barbara

My photos:
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  12:29:41 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Mike, do you know how to fix a missed yarn over without tinking or frogging? I wish I had known this on my first lace project. Youjust go to the spot and pick up the running thread between the stitches as if you wre doing a Make 1, but then work it without twisting it. I've even done it after doing the WS purl row - just pick up 2 threads and pretend you are picking up a dropped stitch.

Anita
My completed projects
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  05:56:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Thanks Anita, actually I figured that out myself. It does save a lot of frogging and it is usually a yarn over that gets missed or an extra added. When I find at the end of a row that my alignment is correct but my count is off invariably its a YO.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  1:51:17 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Sneaky little monsters, those yo! The one I'm doing now had yo right at the beginning or end of repeats and they keep jumping over the markers into the wrong sections. So when my stitch count is wrong I have to check the adjacent section to see it it's over there.

Anita
My completed projects
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by