Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Book recommendations and questions
 Review of Loop-d-Loop
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

glccafar
Seriously Hooked

825 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  4:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit glccafar's Homepage Send glccafar a Private Message
Amazon came through! My book just arrived, and OMG! I can't wait to get started on these patterns! Stunning book! I'm so glad I bought it.
Go to Top of Page

knittin away
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  4:29:49 PM  Show Profile
I just got my copy today too. It is an absolutely beautiful piece of work - it's just what is needed in my knitting library. I like the layout, instructions, clear big photos and! the larger than usual graphs that have different colors. I like that alot of the knitting info is set out so if I need to, change yarns.

I hope this is only the start of more books by Teva.
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  4:31:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
You just mentioned one of my favorite things about the book - the CLEAR, big photos. I also love that there are multiple angles of the different pieces. I know fuzzy photography has been a big complaint that many of us have had about books (Scarf Style comes to mind) and am glad they avoided it here.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4387 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  4:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
This book was a hit at my knitting circle tonight! Everyone (new knitters, mostly, except for me and the leader) was inspired and enthralled and full of questions and oohs and aaahs. I could go on, but you get the idea! They loved the designs, the photos, and the schematics (even though they've yet to tackle a sweater).

Jane

"Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things." Denis Diderot

My album: Jane's Pages
Go to Top of Page

simpleknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  5:34:13 PM  Show Profile Send simpleknitter a Private Message
I was browsing in Barnes and Noble and HAD to buy it and bring it home tonight. I thought about ordering from amazon.com, but no, I had to get it right then and there---and that almost never happens. I have a teen that I can knit some of the wilder stuff for, so I have an excuse, but I can see myself in some of these things too. I love the innovative look of the designs. wow.
Go to Top of Page

knittin away
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  06:00:15 AM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by jcc28

... They loved the designs, the photos, and the schematics (even though they've yet to tackle a sweater).

Jane

Good golly, I think the reason why no one has knit anything yet is 1 - the book just came out and 2 - too busy ooohing and ahhing the book. I'm sure when someone does finish something from the book it will be posted. Are you going to knit one of Teva's patterns?
Go to Top of Page

PatC
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  1:27:01 PM  Show Profile Send PatC a Private Message
I knit the green leaf sweater that appears in IK. I was so thrilled to see it there and I can't wait to get my book. The previews have been wonderful and it looks like an absolutely gorgeous book. Thanks Teva for giving me a chance to be part of the book!

Pat C

PatC
Go to Top of Page

darcy
Warming Up

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  1:31:27 PM  Show Profile Send darcy a Private Message
I received Loop-d-Loop from Crafter's choice last week, and just adore it! The photography is spectactular, and I can't wait to finish my current project so I can try the braided neck piece. It looks fun,unique, and not too difficult. I wonder how it would work as more of a jewelry-type piece in a linen yarn, or widened a bit to more of shawl?? Makes me want to experiment--which is the point, right?? My other favorites are the lace leaf pullover, and the corrugated asymmetrical v-neck.

I found the book to be inspirational. I am a fairly new knitter (under two years) and I am still thrown off by why so many pieces are knit separately as though they were meant to be sewn, when circular knitting seems so much more natural to me.

Teva--I enjoyed reading about your background and your philosophy. I also love how you've taken some very traditional elements and deconstructed them. It really modernizes some of the items and brings them to a level where they look like they belong on the runway at fashion week, instead of in grandma's closet. Thanks for sharing your creative spirit and encouraging us not only to hone our skills, but to be more daring and break the rules!!

Darcy
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4387 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  2:07:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by knittin away
Good golly, I think the reason why no one has knit anything yet is 1 - the book just came out and 2 - too busy ooohing and ahhing the book. I'm sure when someone does finish something from the book it will be posted. Are you going to knit one of Teva's patterns?

Tee-hee! No, what I meant was, most of the women in my knitting group are brand new knitters who are still struggling with knits and purls! I was mighty impressed by their interest in the book, and I know that some of them will make one of the designs one day. As for me, I haven't even had a chance to really look at my copy, but I have always liked Teva's style.

Jane

"Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things." Denis Diderot

My album: Jane's Pages
Go to Top of Page

pianogal
Seriously Hooked

629 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  2:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit pianogal's Homepage Send pianogal a Private Message
I just ordered the book and was so blown away by the artistic philosophy behind the designs! It was really fun to read about things like a pattern inspired by tree bark, etc. And the medallion cardigan was a wonderfully inspired work of art (it looks like there is a mandala tattoo in the back)

I'm a very new knitter (only since this fall) so a lot of the patterns may be pretty challenging for me. But I do want to make the little ballet T-shirt.

http://abeginningknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

amandaCO
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  07:56:45 AM  Show Profile Send amandaCO a Private Message
I couldn't believe how great this book turned out, saw it at my local B&N, and I'm not just saying that because I was a test knitter. Of course, I looked for the garments I knit first! Then when I went through the book I was stunned by what other people got to knit. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the Ibiza top and shorts (hot pants) but some of the other projects were just so amazing they blew me away.
Go to Top of Page

simpleknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  8:56:46 PM  Show Profile Send simpleknitter a Private Message
I finished the ballet tshirt in a day. it's simple and gorgeous. I used the Brown Sheep cotton/wool she recommended in cw 640--a light green called spryte. it's lovely. now if the weather would get a little warmer, it would be nice.
Go to Top of Page

pianogal
Seriously Hooked

629 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2005 :  06:58:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit pianogal's Homepage Send pianogal a Private Message
Simpleknitter, that top called for two strands of yarn held together, right? Do you think the effect would be the same if a person used one strand of bulky yarn (I have some in my stash that could be knitted on 15s)

Go to Top of Page

JayhawkKnitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
910 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  07:31:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit JayhawkKnitter's Homepage Send JayhawkKnitter a Private Message
I bought this book yesterday and haven't been able to put it away, since. I want . . . no NEED . . . to knit the corkscrew scarf, the ballet t-shirt, the slinkly tree bark rib tunic, the diagonal twist princess-seam jacket, the braided neckpiece, and the cabled riding jacket.

Everything in this book is so yummy. I bow to Teva Durham.

http://www.knittinhoney.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  09:05:13 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
What colour is the tree bark tunic in the book? I knit one of those so I'm curious.

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

darcy
Warming Up

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  7:23:57 PM  Show Profile Send darcy a Private Message
It is shown in Berrocco Softwool--Grey Granite.

Darcy
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  2:12:06 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
I just got my copy of the bookand it really is *beautiful* There are several things I'm dying to make---including things in bulky yarn (that normally drive me bonkers)... There are some really clever ideas in there that have given me a few to jump off from as well!

Myshelle10
Go to Top of Page

pianogal
Seriously Hooked

629 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  07:23:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit pianogal's Homepage Send pianogal a Private Message
I just made the ballet top ("easy challenge"). I really, really love the design.

Some of the other patterns are a little racy for me to wear to work ;-) (specifically, the yellow shirt that cuts down to the waist and the tank top with the center cut out of it), but that author is amazingly creative... you could totally see her work on the runway.

Go to Top of Page

amandaCO
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  10:15:49 AM  Show Profile Send amandaCO a Private Message
Pianogal, I'm thinking of making that yellow shirt and buying a coordinating cami to wear under so it's not as revealing. Just an option if you really want to make it.
Go to Top of Page

pianogal
Seriously Hooked

629 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  11:17:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit pianogal's Homepage Send pianogal a Private Message
that's an idea...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by