Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Explain your answers!
 Teaching
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

paper tiger
Chatty Knitter

282 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  1:22:25 PM  Show Profile Send paper tiger a Private Message
I looked in vain for my personal category... Yes, I teach other people, but only when there's no way out of it! :) Except for teaching my darling cousin, I have been exhausted and irritated by all my teaching attempts -- sometimes because the pupil was annoying, sometimes because I am not a good explainer and don't like teaching things. It makes my head hurt.

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  2:38:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Once again, I'm a Martian. Most of the experienced knitters I know can't be bothered to teach - I've even heard some snotty comments about not joining groups because [insert sneer] NEW KNITTERS might be there (not from any of my Knutz, thank goodness!). I LOVE to teach newbies to knit, and any knitter a new trick! So what if I don't knit a stitch of my own until an hour before the meeting's over...

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  4:56:26 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Lissa,
How does that make you a Martian? I guess what I really want to know is if you are making remarks about the only real Martian on the forum.....me.

fran MARRS
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  06:29:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Of course, you're our official Martian, Fran- and I would, of course, be delighted to be considered to be like you! Perhaps I should change that to Venusian...

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

paper tiger
Chatty Knitter

282 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  11:13:30 AM  Show Profile Send paper tiger a Private Message
There are lots of people who do like to teach, and thank goodness they do or we'd never learn anything! I don't mind helping other people, but for the most part it's by fixing where they've gone wrong. I'm probably guilty of a less-than-sunny attitude about the possibility of being asked, "How do I..." but I honestly find it incredibly exhausting to explain things.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  11:22:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I don't think I've ever been part of a group where most of us weren't willing to teach others!

I do really love teaching, and feel myself energized after it usually. I love to watch people "get it" and to see the different ways people explain things for themselves. I love that very clear "lightbulb moment" when something finally clicks with them....

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  5:08:36 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I think there's a huge difference btwn sneering at new knitters, and acknowledgeing that one isn't a very good teacher. I, too, love teaching, that moment when you can see the light of understanding shine forth. But I can accept that not everyone does, or is good at it. And I can see how it would be extremely frustrating, both to the teacher and the learner, to try to do it when you're not good at it.

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
My blog:
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth