Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Seeking Patterns / Free Pattern Links
 Hats, Gloves, and Mittens
 Looking for Mop Cap pattern
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fish
Chatty Knitter

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2005 :  2:36:30 PM  Show Profile Send fish a Private Message
Does any one know where I can find a "mop cap" pattern? I have one for one made of cloth but would like to knit one for my "chemo patients".
The type cap I am hunting for was called a mop cap back in "the olden days". Kind of a shower cap with a brim. How's that for a description?
Any suggestions appreciated.

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2005 :  3:06:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fish

Does any one know where I can find a "mop cap" pattern? I have one for one made of cloth but would like to knit one for my "chemo patients".
The type cap I am hunting for was called a mop cap back in "the olden days". Kind of a shower cap with a brim. How's that for a description?
Any suggestions appreciated.

Do you mean a "mob cap" like this: http://www.libertybellmuseum.com/MuseumShop/mobcap.htm? They were usually sewn and I've never seen a knitted one but if you put "mob cap" and knitting patterns in Google you might get lucky.

Catherine
http://www.yorkiedog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2005 :  5:11:39 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Clarify whether you want a brim or the ruffle shown in the museum picture. The newsboy's cap pattern I have for sale at www.knittingvault.com can be converted to a mop cap by making the top part larger and it has a brim, but not a ruffle. I can convert it to a ruffle for you if that is what you need.

fran
Go to Top of Page

fish
Chatty Knitter

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  10:19:30 AM  Show Profile Send fish a Private Message
How about that? We always referred to them as "mop caps" because they were worn when cleaning but the picture is exactly what I am looking for. Will follow up on both the suggestion of "searching" and Fran's suggestion.
Thanks to all.
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2208 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  10:32:51 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
An easy way to do it is to knit a circle of approximatly 18 inch diameter or larger (9 inches or more in radius) - putting a row of eyelets about 2 inches in from the outer edge. Run a ribbon through the eyelets to gather the circle up into the mob cap and tie it off in a bow.

Many doily patterns will work for this.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe