Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What is your knitting related pet peeve?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Musicknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
334 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  05:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Musicknitter's Homepage Send Musicknitter a Private Message
I'm sure I'm going to open a whole can of worms here.....but what is your knitting pet peeve?

Mine is when publishers put bad pictures in patterns. Or no pictures at all. I'm sorry, but I want to see what both the back and the front look like in a clearly lit photo.

SweetJane
Chatty Knitter

168 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  06:01:02 AM  Show Profile Send SweetJane a Private Message
I don't know if I have any pet peeves now, maybe someone else will say something I agree with? :) I HEART knitting!

I remember when I started knitting, I had so many "beginner" books and I still felt they expected you to know things. I wish they were a little simpler for first time knitters.

Jane
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  06:09:38 AM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
Patterns without schematics!

Trish
Go to Top of Page

KnitSSK
Seriously Hooked

USA
656 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  06:10:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit KnitSSK's Homepage Send KnitSSK a Private Message
Definitely errata in patterns. I find it infuriating when publishers can't seem to correctly edit the final pattern for production. And, it's difficult to always know there are corrections and then find them.

Martha

Wanting to be knitting, not working...
Go to Top of Page

JaniceV
Chatty Knitter

USA
338 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  06:57:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit JaniceV's Homepage  Send JaniceV a Yahoo! Message Send JaniceV a Private Message
When I was married I use to get hours of knitting in while he drove the car on vacations. Now I have to drive and lose all that valuable needle time.

Janice

"Life is not counted by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of times your breath is taken away"
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4166 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  06:59:56 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
Yarns that are discontinued so suddenly you don't have time to stock up.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  07:02:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
"Can you make me...?"

My sister-in-law did that to me this weekend. Luckily my mother had warned me, so I was prepared to answer that I don't have enough time to knit everything for me, let alone for other people. Later Mom told me that I was really quick in my negation. Well...no, I don't want to knit anything for you, especially not some ugly bulky done-on-15s-and-17s junk.

Amanda

A good friend: You knit faster than most women shop.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  07:12:27 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Patterns with very obvious mistakes, like tailored stockinette edges--no such thing exists, all of them will roll, but I wonder how many knitters made them relying on the reputation of the designer and were then disappointed.

Also pictures that have the knit garment adjusted by pinning in the back etc. so they look shaped and fitted but the pattern makes a boxy garment.

I guess what I am saying is pictures and directions that lead you to expect something other than what you get.

fran
Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  07:14:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
When a pattern is for a very specific and hard-to-find yarn, and there are few details given on the yarn type and weight to allow for substitution. Especially when it says something like "Eight skeins of Fluffy No-Find-Em" and it doesn't say how much is in a skein or what the skein weighs.

I'm also somewhat irritated when no gauge-over-stockinette is given, because that makes it harder for me to visualize what would be a good substitution. (I know, I can and should swatch in pattern, but when I'm ordering a yarn to sub for the recommended yarn, I don't want to do it as a total crapshoot)
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  07:15:32 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Atavistic

"Can you make me...?"

Amanda I'm amazed you didn't use the classic teacher line, "I can but may I?"

Janice, forget the car and take the train - that's what we do! In any case I won't knit in cars.

My biggest peeve is patterns that list yards/metres but not how many metres per gram. That's what I need when I look for a yarn to match.

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  07:25:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
Being so closed-minded as to insist that your way of knitting is the ONLY way. (And this refers to just about everything from the English v. Continental debate to what type of yarn is best.)

or

The lack of confidence/fear in knitters that I see as being so pervasive right now. (Afraid to try anything new, afraid to deviate from a pattern, convinced they can't figure out (fill in the blank))

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  07:38:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mokey

quote:
Originally posted by Atavistic

"Can you make me...?"

Amanda I'm amazed you didn't use the classic teacher line, "I can but may I?"

If I'd been on top of my game I would've, but I went home to help my grandmother deal with my grandfather's death, which was weird enough, and in the course of a week I saw a ton of family members and met my sister-in-law (for the second time, they barely knew each other, eloped before he was shipped out to Iraq). I was dragged to the Mall of America (gag) twice in one weekend (I am now beyond set for the century) and it actually snowed yesterday. Normally when I go back to my parents' house I sit around and knit, play with the dogs, etc, but this vacation was work.

I did, however, finish one sweater on the plane ride down and I designed and knit another sleeveless top while in MN and I designed and starting knitting another sleeveless top based on the other sleeveless top...

Amanda

A good friend: You knit faster than most women shop.
Go to Top of Page

Schleppenheimer
Seriously Hooked

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  07:54:38 AM  Show Profile Send Schleppenheimer a Private Message
My pet peeve is that I read about so many of you who have so much more time than I do to knit! Drives me nuts!

Maybe if I got off the computer once in a while . . .

Kris
Go to Top of Page

ladyamythyst69
Gabber Extraordinaire

372 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  08:18:10 AM  Show Profile Send ladyamythyst69 a Private Message
I hate the 50 gram balls of yarn with seriously small yardage so that you are forever adding on new balls and then having to weave in all those ends.

I agree with Filly too - I hate patterns that give no info about the type of yarn so that it takes major research to arrange a substitution.

http://ontheneedles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1927 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  08:27:48 AM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message
My pet peeve is balls of yarn that you can't pull from the center because the yarn comes out in huge tangled clumps that take forever to undo. Closely followed by yarn that refuses to be frogged or where you can't see the individual stitches. Happy, problem free knitting to all, Chayah
Go to Top of Page

DaniW
Chatty Knitter

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  08:41:26 AM  Show Profile Send DaniW a Private Message
Pet peeves so far:

how to books that seem to be more about the "hip" photos than the pattern. Do we really need 4 very similar shots? What does the back look like? What does the sweater look like when the model is NOT laying down or trying really hard to look sexy? How many people making that sweater are anorexic? Will the pattern work for someone who has the "average" build? (national average is something like 5'4" and 145 lbs, I'm 5'3" and 150)

no info listed for the yarn. I don't know anything about yarns, so I really need this info if I need to make a substitution.

I'm a beginner. Don't treat me like crap just because I'm clueless about something right now

Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  08:45:22 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
My pet peeve is pretty basic. I hate it when the gauge is given only over pattern. Would it be such a stretch to include gauge over stockinette? I routinely do my gauge swatch (much as I hate it), but gauge over st st is so much more accurate, particularly when their yarn has long since been DC'd. And yes, yardage should also be given. Much better now than 30 years ago, but there is still room for improvement.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y89/Dicksie/
Go to Top of Page

MoonKnitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
247 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  08:53:23 AM  Show Profile Send MoonKnitter a Private Message
Right now, it's patterns with no schematics! I'm taking a trip to the frog pond because of it!
Kelli
Go to Top of Page

birdgirlsherri
New Pal

28 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  08:53:54 AM  Show Profile Send birdgirlsherri a Private Message
Patterns that are written to save every last little bit of printing space ("Do X every 4 rows while at the same time doing Y every 7 rows while doing Z each alt 5th row") so that I have to take a separate piece of paper and a calculator and write out what to do each row anyway. Are printing costs really that high?

Then opening my mailbox to find six junk mail catalogs from companies whose mailing lists I've been trying to get off of for several years.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  08:54:50 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
If the pattern does not use stocking stitch what would the point be of a stocking stitch swatch?

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

KnitSteph
Chatty Knitter

121 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  08:56:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit KnitSteph's Homepage  Send KnitSteph a Yahoo! Message Send KnitSteph a Private Message
This one really bugs the heck out of me. I only got better with my knitting by challenging myself. If you only ever knit dishcloths..you'll only ever knit dishcloths. Challenging yourself is a good thing.

quote:
Originally posted by klfrazier

The lack of confidence/fear in knitters that I see as being so pervasive right now. (Afraid to try anything new, afraid to deviate from a pattern, convinced they can't figure out (fill in the blank))

Kristin

My Knitting Blog
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
Albert Camus (1913 - 1960)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.