Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What is your knitting related pet peeve?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Garden mom
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  09:27:15 AM  Show Profile Send Garden mom a Private Message
Definitely the deceiving pictures - another is the actual finished garment size versus the suggested sizing especially for children's patterns.
Boring patterns - I had to bribe myself to finish one.
And of course ditto on the yarn coming out in clumps, yardage vs. weight, and no info on the yarn...

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are right."
Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  09:38:45 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Another one that bugs me! I was knitting a bbay sweater as a sample to become a sample knitter for a yarn company. When I measured I was at the exact row/stitch count. When they measured they told me I was off. Turns out I had knitted according to sts per 10cm but they had it per inch, which is not the same.

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  09:47:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Two come right to mind.

1. What might be a gorgeous pattern... maybe... if I could see it (the ENTIRE book Scarf Styles drives me crazy - I'm not paying for that until they pay for a photographer that can shoot a picture in focus, and show the scarves other than just folded/balled around necks)

2. The assumption that anything knit on screen was knit by the actress wearing it. Even if she knits. Actresses are not costume designers. Even the ones who knit.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  09:56:45 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
Another vote against crummy photography. The model should be asked to stand up STRAIGHT. Facing the camera. And she doesn't need a soft focus filter.

my pics
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  10:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message
K3tog - very uncomfortable stitch!

Jane

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  10:31:38 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
Along the same note of bad photography, annoying props. Must the model be carrying a huge bouquet of flowers that blocks 1/4 of the view of the sweater? Must the model's long hair be hiding the collar?

Nature is a haunted house--but Art--is a house that tries to be haunted.
Emily Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

paper tiger
Chatty Knitter

282 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  10:58:23 AM  Show Profile Send paper tiger a Private Message
I like the gauge over stockinette too... even if the pattern stitch is wildly different, it gives you an idea if you knit with about the same tension as the designer. And after looking at lots of Jaeger patterns, I've gotten annoyed with any pattern that gives no indication of recommended ease (like the Jaeger ones do -- they give the "to fit" and "finished item" measurements).
Go to Top of Page

desi_knitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  11:07:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit desi_knitter's Homepage Send desi_knitter a Private Message
Expensive, published patterns in books without schematics.

Artsy, glossy pictures instead of schematics that show only part of the garment but lots of foliage, bread baskets, waterfalls, whatnot.

Sizes for anorexics only

Prachi.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/prarochana/my_photos
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  12:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
1) Why must the models ALL be anorexic? And so glum or sexy if that is what they are trying to portray? It sure would be nice to see at least one in a magazine or book smiling!!

2) Most patterns don't give enough information about the yarn used to select an appropriate substitute.

3) So many of the "new" patterns are for the funky (read: ugly) new yarns, some of which appear to be made of trash. It is difficult to vizualize the pattern in a nice yarn.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  1:22:36 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mokey

If the pattern does not use stocking stitch what would the point be of a stocking stitch swatch?

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com

Just to help you in choosing a substitute yarn. For example, a heavily cabled sweater might use a yarn that knits at 6 stitches per inch in pattern, but 5 in stockinette. It would be helpful to know the stockintte gauge so you know to buy worsted weight not sport weight. It's worse with lace patterns where the gauge can vary widely and you can't tell how thick the yarn needs to be. Of course you still need to do the gauge swatch, but it would help with shopping.

This is where wraps/inch would come in handy, if everything was labeled with that.

Anita
My completed projects
[img]http://i.office.microsoft.com/i/0000/MR/j0354/j0354665.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  7:22:11 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

My pet peeves are wool that comes in skeins that you have to make balls out of, this is a fairly new thing in Australia.

The other thing is the obvious "frogging".

And last but not least not being able to knit socks no matter how hard I try.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Diva Ree
Gabber Extraordinaire

537 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  7:56:00 PM  Show Profile Send Diva Ree a Private Message
I also hate when there aren't enough pictures...like side or back shots.

I hate when a project was staged to look better on than it will actually be when it's done. A crocheted hat from Berroco (Suede) isn't pictures with a point. It looks like the reservoir tip on a condom when it's done.

I hate when people reach over my counter at work to pick up my projects with NO clue that markers are falling off or needles are sliding out of the stitches.

I hate when I forget to mark where I left off on a project.

I hate when I knit to gauge, but the finished product is no where near the size specified on the pattern.

I hate when I use the recommended yarn and end up not being happy with it.

I hate when I fall in love with a yarn that I buy up, only to be a skein short by the time I fall in love with a project for that yarn.

I hate when dye lots match, but there's still a distinct color difference when I work it up.

I hate knots in the middle of a ball...and I hate it even more when the manufacturer makes a teeeeeensy knot that you don't see until it's lined up in the middle of your row.

I have some loves too...like when a project turns out perfectly, or when a mastered knitter compliments me on my work.

Go to Top of Page

suzieq
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  8:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit suzieq's Homepage Send suzieq a Private Message
I hate it...

1. That some pattern companies don't make errata available on their websites! Arrrgh. I've had to email Fiber Trends and a couple other companies a few times...

2. Pattern instructions that aren't clear.

3. The use of ridiculously expensive yarns in pattern books and mags. Please, I'm not made of money!

4. When I first started I could not for the life of me find directions on how to seam/sew up pieces.

5. Knitting stores with no idea about customer service.

Oh I could go on....but I won't 'cause despite all this, I really, really love knitting!!!!

Suzieq
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  07:28:28 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
That all the best patterns are in French and that I studied everything but French in school.

Emily Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

MeezieGirl
Seriously Hooked

USA
623 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  08:20:20 AM  Show Profile Send MeezieGirl a Private Message
My peeves:

patterns without schematics. It's easy to make yarn/size substitutions if you have a schematic.

Rowan patterns. I don't usually like the patterns, but when I find something I do like, $21 for the pattern book??!? I mean, REALLY! They could have a service where you could buy just one or two patterns from them to download from a website. Snort!

knitters in classes who don't listen to the teacher then keep asking me what the teacher said and how to do it, all while I'm trying to knit it myself.

Dee
Go to Top of Page

flutebabe
Seriously Hooked

968 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  08:25:37 AM  Show Profile Send flutebabe a Private Message
1. Patterns that state a Size Extra Large is a 36" bust/chest.

2. Patterns that call for extremely expensive yarn.

3. Patterns that assume too much. "Oh, just do it the same as the other side, just reverse it except for rows 4, 6, 8 and 20, unless it is Tuesday and a full moon. Continue for 2 1/2 inches."

4. Purling. I do not like to purl.

Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  08:33:12 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
To me, the Rowan books are a bargain. They are good quality paper, good quality patterns, as many as 40 patterns per issue. Most knitting books you can buy at a bookstore have fewer patterns and cost more. But then again, I love Rowan patterns, so I definitely always get my money's worth.

Emily Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

knitbugg
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  09:14:57 AM  Show Profile Send knitbugg a Private Message
I hate patterns with lots of yo's and decreases (like lace work) that con't use charts! Trying to keep track of 50 or 80 rows of k2tbl, yo, k2psso, yo, k2 etc. drives me crazy! I have tried post-its, hi-liters and more to keep track but eventually I find I spend most of my time charting the pattern. If the designer would just do that in the first place it would save so much time and frustration.

Vanessa
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  09:38:46 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
I think my pet peeve is badly written patterns - stupid, ugly shaping, poor schematics/photos, errata. Which is much what most other people dislike.

I dislike being dissed by non-knitters who think my knitting is either funny (?) or "so easy for you". I can't see why knitting should be humorous but I see people grinning away when a woman is knitting in public. Why is this? And I'm tired of people looking at what I'm making and assuming I want to make it for them because I'm so fast or I'm so good or whatever. My response ("what have you done for me lately?") usually guarantees they won't ask a second time.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

zehava
Chatty Knitter

Canada
335 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  09:47:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit zehava's Homepage Send zehava a Private Message
quote:
Sizes for anorexics only

much agreed here. i don't even KNOW anyone as skinny as the models they use in most knitting mags. i like Interweave Knits for the sizing... at least most of their patterns will fit me! (on that note... who else was annoyed by the spring Vogue and the whole article on pattern sizing? i find that they are one of the culprits in the 'small' sizing issue (which is why i very rarely ever buy Vogue Knitting). i bet in the next issue all the extra large sizes will measure only 36" around the bust again.)

ditto on the pictures/props... i want to see the front and back of a sweater before i knit it.

-z
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.