Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What is your knitting related pet peeve?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

franna724
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  11:16:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit franna724's Homepage Send franna724 a Private Message
The lack of trendy designs for plus-sized women.

Anna
Go to Top of Page

xmasberry
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  11:45:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit xmasberry's Homepage Send xmasberry a Private Message
the idea that because i knit i have a lot of free time.

holly x
"do what you love, love what you do, leave the world a better place and don't pick your nose" -Jef Mallett
little miss messy hair's blog
Go to Top of Page

useratl
Warming Up

74 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  08:06:40 AM  Show Profile Send useratl a Private Message
Models knit in DARK COLORS so that you can't make out pattern detail . . . not showing the reverse side of scarf and afghan patterns . . .
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  08:11:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
More peevish stuff for me:

Ponchos.

Novelty yarn, especially when presented as the first thing you see when you walk in a yarn store.

A good friend: You knit faster than most women shop.
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  08:54:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message
People who say 'I wouldn't have the patience to do that' in a tone that implies that patience is not a virtue....

J

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

contrary1
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  08:57:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit contrary1's Homepage Send contrary1 a Private Message
My latest is finding out the yarn reccomended in a book for a pattern wasn't even produced! Just enough for the sample to picture with the pattern! What a nasty trick that was!

Sue from
Country Yarns
www.countryyarns.net
Go to Top of Page

HellaHelen
Chatty Knitter

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  09:40:42 AM  Show Profile Send HellaHelen a Private Message
Hoo boy, we are one peeved group. But of course we have peeves! Mine:

1) Crappy patterns that lack any number of specifics, from FINISHED bust size, recommended ease for pattern (i.e. finished bust size=39", to fit bust size 37-38" would be wonderful in all sweater patterns), gauge over stockinette, CORRECT yardage required, types of decreases/increases to use and WHERE to use them, etc. I'm a pretty creative knitter and will modify patterns at will, but the pattern itself should be a solid point of departure, not a source of confusion.

2) Mean/rude people, from rude LYS employees to uptight, self-righteous knitters who post rude replies on KR!

3) Ridiculously expensive yarns & patterns intended for large quantities of said yarns.

4) Knots in skeins, tiny skeins, and all activities related to weaving in more ends than absolutely necessary.

5) The general practice of writing sweater patterns as flat pieces to be seamed rather than in-the-round and seamless.

All that, and I'm a HAPPY knitter!

Helen
Go to Top of Page

Mary D.
Chatty Knitter

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  4:02:47 PM  Show Profile Send Mary D. a Private Message
Yarn labels with printing so tiny that you can't make out the gauge or the recommended needle size.

Yarn shops that put their price tags over the most important information on the yarn label.
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  4:29:10 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jade

I dislike being dissed by non-knitters who think my knitting is either funny (?) or "so easy for you". I can't see why knitting should be humorous but I see people grinning away when a woman is knitting in public.

I think it's pleasure, not amusement. I smile every time I see a baby or small child. Not because I find it funny, but because it gives me pleasure.

And I look on the "oh, is that for me" as a compliment as well, It's a way of saying "wow, that's nice", so I just smile in response.

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  4:44:52 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
Ok ok. I have one peeve, but my pets all give me more pleasure. I can't read charts, so, I have to learn how to be able to do anything like the beautiful sweaters that are in the new books I ordered. My eyes jump lines and start skittering all over the place when trying to read a chart, especially when the chart as little added on pieces to save space. There, I am done.

"Oooo is that for me!," is something I've always found endearing.

lella [img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]
http://zippiknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Renee77
Chatty Knitter

261 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  7:23:25 PM  Show Profile Send Renee77 a Private Message
Just like Mary D. said, yarn shops that put their price labels over important info on the yarn labels. Two of the shops near me put bar code labels on every skein of yarn, almost always right over the content information, and recommended gauge/needle sizes on the labels.

For patterns that specify a yarn, but won't give the info about yardage or fiber content - doing a Google search, you can almost always find out those two things. Knit N' Style magazine is notorious for this, because their designs come straight from the yarn companies, and the companies don't want you to substitute with another yarn. If you notice, that same magazine won't even show a picture of a gauge swatch or a strand of the yarn used. Which is kind of stupid, since nearly all these same companies have websites that list the important yardage and content information.

Another peeve - colors that get discontinued only 2-3 years after they were introduced, just to make way for more colors that aren't any more attractive. And entire yarn lines that get discontinued 3-4 years after they were introduced.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  8:25:28 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I recently encountered this. Patons used to have a mohair yarn called Allure, but it was discontinued years ago. I heard that Patons was bringing back Allure and I was thrilled. Infortunately they had brought in a completely different type of yarn and caled it Allure!

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

moxie
Seriously Hooked

844 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  8:38:21 PM  Show Profile Send moxie a Private Message
*Finding that the expensive designer yarn that you knit so beautifully... pills like mad and looks 10 years old after the second wearing.

* Laddering down THE WRONG STITCH.

* metal DPNs

Moxie
Go to Top of Page

amosellie
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  03:02:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit amosellie's Homepage Send amosellie a Private Message
I hate when you are knitting along - the yarn is fairly expensive - and, there is a knot in it where they joined it!!!! It always is in the middle of a row on ends up in the right side.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  05:02:37 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Atavistic

More peevish stuff for me:

Ponchos.

Novelty yarn, especially when presented as the first thing you see when you walk in a yarn store.

A good friend: You knit faster than most women shop.

Amanda I read through your "peeves" right into your signature line and I thought you had a good friend who was also a pet peeve. Took me a second, but I haven't had my coffee yet!

Anita
My completed projects
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  05:07:08 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by lella

Ok ok. I have one peeve, but my pets all give me more pleasure. I can't read charts, so, I have to learn how to be able to do anything like the beautiful sweaters that are in the new books I ordered. My eyes jump lines and start skittering all over the place when trying to read a chart, especially when the chart as little added on pieces to save space. There, I am done.

"Oooo is that for me!," is something I've always found endearing.

lella [img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]
http://zippiknits.blogspot.com/

I might be able to help you there. To keep your eye on the right line, take a sticky note that's as wide as the chart and place it just above the line you are reading. Or, you can buy very cheaply a metal magnet board taht comes with long magnetic strips to lay across the chart. The sheet will fit right inside a plastic sheet protector and you just slide the magnet up for each row. They have them in craft stores usually near the cross stitch supplies.

Anita
My completed projects
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  05:14:10 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
Or pull out a cookie sheet and a straight sided magnet off the fridge. But first make a photocopy of your chart with the machine set to enlarge. For personal use only yada yada.

my pics
Go to Top of Page

Sarasponda12004
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  05:50:21 AM  Show Profile Send Sarasponda12004 a Private Message
I've been knitting for about 50 years. I have two peeves. First is overpriced yarn, and the second is the photos in knitting instruction magazines. WHY in the world do they knit something in a very dark yarn, then pose the model against something equally as dark? It would be just as easy to knit everything in either white or pastels, THEN pose the model against something dark in color. I, too would like to see both the back and front of the item.
Having read some of the previous peeves, I find that I agree with every one of them!
This has annoyed me for years. Thanks for allowing me to vent!
Barbara
Go to Top of Page

Musicknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
334 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  05:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Musicknitter's Homepage Send Musicknitter a Private Message
Wow, it's amazing how many peeves I agree with. (I never thought there would be so many)
Another one (that happened to me last night). You cast on or join a new ball of yarn and leave a long tail like you are supposed to. Then you accidentally pick up the tail instead of the working yarn and knit part way across the row....until you come to the end of the tail! Then you have to go back to where you picked up the wrong yarn. GRRRR.
I suppose though that IS my own fault.....
Go to Top of Page

Oliversmom3
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  06:00:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Oliversmom3's Homepage  Send Oliversmom3 a Yahoo! Message Send Oliversmom3 a Private Message
OK, I have come across patterns that I absolutely must make, except the largest size they give the instructions for is 36. Maybe I was that size when I was born, but it's been a while. Why not the standard S, M, & L?

Just started a blog.
http://knittinggrandma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by