Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Suggest a poll
 Knitting sweaters - Round or Flat
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kyench
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  06:17:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit kyench's Homepage Send kyench a Private Message
I'd like to suggest this poll. Please disregard if already asked.

Do you prefer knitting a top (sweater, shirt, vest etc.) in the round or flat?

Why? Other than no seams.

KC
http://boiknit.blog.com/

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  08:01:26 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
In the round.........why?........please don't ask me to explain love...LOL

fran
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  08:12:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Round because I don't have to purl as much, I can see the work the whole time, and I'm knitting from one ball (excluding color work) for most of the sweater rather than two (like if I'm working the front and back flat at the same time).

Amanda

A good friend: You knit faster than most women shop.
Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  09:08:20 AM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
Round. What do you mean, besides no seams! Oh, ok, fine. I like to be able to try the sweater on as I go, because I usually am not following the pattern and want to make sure it's coming along ok.
Lin

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Busyhands/tinyfrank.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

gmtlvsred
Warming Up

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  1:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Send gmtlvsred a Yahoo! Message Send gmtlvsred a Private Message
Round - I like the sense of completion from not having to do all those little peices. Once I am done, I'm done!!

Knitting in red,
Knitting in blue,
As long as I'm knitting,
My smile is true
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  1:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I thought that I would love knitting in the round. Then I knit a sweater in the round. Didn't like it. Couldn't get my head wrapped around the "no place to stop" concept. Yeah, i marked the beginning of the rounds, but you can't stop there, or you lose your marker, (so you do one more stitch - but then you have to finish the round) repeat hundreds of times until your arms fall off and your brain drips out your tearducts...

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

pianogal
Seriously Hooked

629 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  2:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit pianogal's Homepage Send pianogal a Private Message
I am knitting my first long-sleeve sweater in the round. Aside from occasionally losing stitch markers and trying to find out where on earth I am, I like it better, because I have a cardigan I knit flat in the closet and I can't bring myself to sew it together. Those set-in sleeves have me too intimidated.

http://abeginningknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2678 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  2:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
Depends on the pattern. I like doing simple things in the round, but for complicated patterns, sometimes I like the sense of completion I get by finishing first the back and then the front, etc. And after the infamous Dale sweater, on which the color chart main body sections took me 1/2 hour to do one complete round, I like the idea of breaking things up into more manageable chunks!

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page

Feijoanna
Chatty Knitter

New Zealand
140 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  3:05:39 PM  Show Profile Send Feijoanna a Private Message
Hi,

In the round, definitely. It cuts out all the angst and trauma of getting all the bits the same length, and I can just measure the whole thing against myself, and try on as I go, rather than mucking about with tape measures and row counters. Obsessing over all the little details goes against my nature, so in the round suits me much better.

Cheers, FJ
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  08:58:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
In the round - no reason, really, since I don't mind sewing up. I just prefer to knit in the round.

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  09:20:43 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
In the round! I like the idea of having the right side facing me, don't like to sew any more than I have to, easier to match the pattern - color or stitch. I always convert the design to the round. When knitting a cardigan, if it is impractical to place a steek, I still knit in one piece up to the sleeve openings, then back and forth for the rest. Sometimes I attach two more balls so that I can knit the fronts and back at the same time - keeps your decreases even.

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

PatriciaG
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  10:06:25 AM  Show Profile Send PatriciaG a Private Message
Dicksie,

How do you convert a pattern to "in the round"?

Patrica in West Sac., CA.

"How did I get over the hill without getting up to the top"
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  8:16:46 PM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
Patricia -
You cast on both the front and the back. I usually place a marker at the beginning of the round and the side seam. You may have to tweak it a bit - for instance - to accommodate 2 x 2 ribbing you would cast on stitches divisible by four. Be very careful in joining so that your cast on is not twisted. If there is a pattern - color or stitch - you will have to adjust the side panels. Fair isle is written in the round, so no adjustment there. Arans will have side panels (moss stitch is frequently used). You will usually have to add or subtract one or more stitches to accommodate that part of the pattern. Intarsia can be done in the round, but it's a real hassle - and I avoid it if possible. When you reach the sleeve openings you are presented with two options. The first is to simply begin knitting the front and back separately, back and forth; the second is to cast on a steek. When the sleeve is set in, I do the initial bind off (the one that involves several stitches) for both the front and the back, then cast on stitches for my steek and do the armhole shaping INSIDE the steek stitches. I just cast one on for a drop shoulder design - about an inch worth of stitches, in either case. A steek can be used for the neck opening, and I do use one for fair isle, but probably more trouble than it's worth in a larger gauge sweater. I've probably told you more than you want to know, and others may have some ideas, but that's how I do it.
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  07:24:02 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
For me it depends on my mood partly. Sometimes I like the little bits of accomplishment I get in finishing one full piece of a sweater, and the slow progress of knitting in the round can get to me. I also rarely wear pullover sweaters--mostly cardis, and while I can get past my fear of sewing when it comes to seaming (mattress stitch is kind of cool), the idea of sewing for the purpose of steeking freaks me out. Yes, you heard right--it's not the cutting part but the sewing part that I'm afraid of. (And yes, I have heard tell of crochet steeks, but I am just as hopeless in the crochet department, so that doesn't help either.) But, I have done raglan style cardigans in one piece from side to side. I don't mind purling, so it just saves the trauma of doing the steeks at the end.

Nature is a haunted house--but Art--is a house that tries to be haunted.
Emily Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  07:40:35 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
In the round. I find it goes so much faster and modifications are easier. I have no problem stopping - you know where the round began by the little yarn tail from casting on.

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  07:58:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message
I've just started knitting in the round and really enjoy it - I would never have even considered fairisle before and one day I just might consider something bigger than a hat!

I have now started making single colour projects in the round but do the front and back separately when I get to the armholes - the change of tempo when you see the length of the work growing much quicker tends to spur me on when I get to that stage too. On the basis of not learning too many things at once I think I'm a few projects short of a steeking...

Jane

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

Sabrina Fair
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  08:31:51 AM  Show Profile Send Sabrina Fair a Private Message
In the round.

Because...
I like to keep going without change,
I don't like spending too long making up.
I like to see what I am getting and try it on mid-way
I like garments without seams or few seams (however I tend to make a false seam using a reverse stitch)
I don't like the un-necessary wavy points of two pins.

Also...
I am prejudice against purl for some reason. (This is irrational just as I am also prejudice against odd numbers. This dosn't fit with being prejudice against purl because the knit rows are odd and purls are even).

Sabrina

Sabrina fair,
Listen where thou art sitting
Under the glassy, cool, translucent wave,
In twisted braids of lilies knitting

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sabrina_fair1/album?.dir=/7ab3
Go to Top of Page

Kburns
New Pal

29 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  10:39:53 AM  Show Profile Send Kburns a Private Message
Lin, How do you try the sweater on while it is still on the needles...? Do you have any good tricks?

I am working on my first sweater in the round and would love to try it on, but looks like I would have to take if off the needles...
Karen
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  10:54:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Round (you can try it on by putting in waste yarn, or an extra circ, or something that makes the circumfrence of the sweater bigger than the circumfrance of your hips)

I like round better because I find way more than with socks I get "Second Side Syndrome"... WHAT??? I just did that whole back and now I have to do ANOTHER??? Only call it a FRONT? Who are you kidding???

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Tuppence
Chatty Knitter

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  09:36:04 AM  Show Profile Send Tuppence a Private Message
For me it depends on the pattern. Plain stockinette stitch items I prefer to do in the round. Fair Isle is easier in the round, but I don't do much of that.

For other complicated patterns I find it easier to work flat for several reasons:
- less row counting, e.g. cable twist is always on a right side row
- easier blocking since each piece can be laid out flat
- project is more portable because pieces are smaller.

Having said that, I admit that I'm an unusual knitter in a couple of ways:
- I'm usually more comfortable with straight needles than circs
- I don't really mind doing seams if the pieces have a clean selvage.

Everyone's different... that's what makes us so interesting!

- Marie
Go to Top of Page

jrwhiskey
Gabber Extraordinaire

379 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  6:25:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit jrwhiskey's Homepage Send jrwhiskey a Private Message
Always in the round I do more bottom up than top down, so alot of times I decide on the neckline when I'm almost finished. I steek armholes, neck and front (if cardi) so it always feels like I'm creating to the very end. So much more fun

Julie in central MD
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.