Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Do you cry over your knitting?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

isel
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  03:54:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit isel's Homepage Send isel a Private Message
I had to frog a big section of my Clapotis last night and couldn't help but first, get angry and then cry. I'd spent most of my commute and night working on it and then made a stupid mistake just before I started dropping stitches.

Do people cry over their knitting or am I ready to be institutionalized?

p.s. I also woke up an hour early today to catch up.

http://www.iselknits.blogspot.com

pattiw
Chatty Knitter

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  04:16:39 AM  Show Profile Send pattiw a Private Message
I tend to focus on the process of knitting more than the finished product. Not that I don't want a finished, useful end result - I do. But it sounds like you may be looking at this more like a job than a hobby right now. Maybe you need to set this aside right now and come back to it when you're more relaxed about the project?

Patti

I'm not always perfect, but I am always me.
Go to Top of Page

blazfglori
Permanent Resident

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  04:19:50 AM  Show Profile Send blazfglori a Private Message
I'm a perfectionist, so I'm constantly frogging.

I get really irritated with myself for making mistakes (which might not actually even be a mistake, but it might not look perfect to me), but it's how I become a better knitter.

We all make mistakes. :)

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

becka always
Permanent Resident

USA
1959 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  04:21:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit becka always's Homepage Send becka always a Private Message
WEll said Patti!! yes, isel, it's only knitting, and honey...we have ALL done our share of frogging at the worst of times. I know it's very frustrating, but don't allow that to happen, that will sap the joy out of something that you love to do, as Patti said, perhaps step back for a bit, I've had to do that before when a piece has frustrated me a bit, regroup, reenergize (usually by looking @ knitting books for me!) and all is well...Head up...it's a new day...knit on, my friend!!

Addicted to the Knit
Becka Always
Go to Top of Page

lamknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
201 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  04:23:29 AM  Show Profile Send lamknits a Private Message
Curse, maybe (ok, definitely); cry, never! Life's too short to shed tears over knitting, frogging and re-knitting. My philosophy is that mistakes and remakes are simply part of the process and sometimes it is just time to put away whatever it is that's making me nuts. If I take a break, and turn to another project for awhile, I find it's much easier to tackle the "problem project" with a little distance between me and it. When I start crying over my knitting, I'm giving it up -- it's not supposed to make you feel bad! Leslie
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4387 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  05:18:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
When I realize that a project I'm enjoying (or have put a lot of time into) needs to be frogged, I take a deep breath, close my eyes, and do it. I look at it this way: if I'm going to love the finished product, I need to love creating it. If the love's not there, I put it away for a while or for good, and move on.

I haven't cried over my knitting because of the knitting, but sometimes the best place to do a little crying is with needles in hand. That's another topic, though!

Jane

"Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things." Denis Diderot

My album: Jane's Pages
Go to Top of Page

isel
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  05:43:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit isel's Homepage Send isel a Private Message
Thank you, ladies! You are sooo right and I guess I realized that too late because I kept going and made the same mistake.

I keep finding an extra stitch right after I drop my first set of stitches. So, I need to frog again.

I guess I'm really stressed out right now and putting a lot of pressure on my knitting to get a sense of accomplishment. Maybe my crying is not knitting-related. Hmmm.

I think Clapotis will be staying home today.

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  06:52:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Isel, I have two suggestions:
1. Set that Clap aside for a while and knit on something fun
2. Come to KnitKnutz on Sunday for a big hug and lots of encouragement!

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

dignitynaplomb
Chatty Knitter

259 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  07:52:56 AM  Show Profile Send dignitynaplomb a Private Message
Isel, take a deep breathe and try not to let it get to you so much. Remember, knitting is suppose to be fun. Take Lissa's advice and put the Clapotis down for a while, there is nothing wrong with taking a break. Pick out something small and fun to work on. When your feeling up to it again then take a shot at Clapotis again. You may find that all you needed was to clear your head for a little while. Good Luck!

-Heather

http://sitnknit.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  08:02:11 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
I cry about all sorts of things, and I think you may have hit on something when you wonder if it's really the knitting. But as to the knitting itself - when you find an error, hold it away from you. Think of other solutions besides frogging. Can I run stitches down, then bring them back up with a crochet hook the right way? If I have an extra stitch, can I just decrease it away and still have a good-looking result?

If you really need to frog, pack the project lovingly away and leave it for a few weeks while you enjoy doing something else. It's far less painful to frog if your memory of making those stitches has a little time to get fuzzy.

my pics
Go to Top of Page

lsm
Chatty Knitter

245 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  08:02:25 AM  Show Profile Send lsm a Private Message
I think you might need to find what I call a "jellybean" project. It's like the book you bring to the beach - nothing complicated, no thought required, just set your brain on auto-pilot. You can put the book down for months and pick up right where you left off without having to spend hours figuring out what the heck happened before. The jellybean project is the same. Fun, but completely uncomplicated and doesn't require much brain space.

Sometimes, you reach a point in your project where it gets a bit complicated, but you feel compelled to 1) keep working on it and 2) bring it with you (because you've got ALL that time on the train!). Yet, it's hard to fully focus while stressed and/or commuting and errors ensue.

You need an alternate knitting project which doesn't require constant reading of the pattern, tracking decreases, etc. If you work on the jellybean instead, you're still making progress on a project and not "wasting time." Then, you can work on the complicated bits of the main project when you can focus.

My current jellybean: Cleaves from knitty.com - it doesn't get any more basic than this!

Go to Top of Page

Anny
Warming Up

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  08:11:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Anny's Homepage Send Anny a Private Message
I fall into the "definitely needs help when something goes wrong with a knitting project" category, lol!

First I get really pissed, and my poor bf has found out the hard way that it's best not to say anything at all when something doesn't turn out as expected in my knitting. I'll throw the said evil garment around and curse at it repeatedly, then I get pissed at myself for creating such an abomination. This lasts anywhere from 10min to half an hour.

Depending on how much work I put into the garment dicates how long phase two will last. This is the "I won't talk about the damned item" for a period of time (anywhere from a day to a few weeks) all the while still cursing the day I attempted to do it in the first place silently.

After phase two is over, I am ready to look at what went wrong with the project, correct my previous mistakes and start it over. At this point I appreciate the learning value of my mistake but I really need to get past my anger about it first. Trying to give it a second shot while I'm pissed about the first one has also proven to give disastrous results.

Although I may be extreme in my reactions and ways of dealing with them, I now know exactly what works for me and the process it takes for me to get over it. Now that my bf is also in tune with this process, it's made for much easier dealings with my knitting disasters! lol

Anny

http://littleknitter.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

isel
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  10:03:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit isel's Homepage Send isel a Private Message
Oh, I finally laughed today while reading Anny's post to my BF over the phone. Thank you!

That sounds so much like what I do. Especially the "I won't talk about the damn item" part of it. I yelled at my bf last night, even though he was trying to make feel better, and I also yelled at him again this morning. The poor thing, I feel so badly after I do that. I better find that ring before he changes his mind!

I still brought poor Clapotis to work. I felt like a bad mommy leaving it behind. It's not her fault, after all.

However, I'm thinking about stopping by Stitch DC later today for something to cheer me up, something for a graduation gift, something quick and pretty.
Plus, I had a cannoli and a piece of chocolate cake just now. Yikes!
Thank you all for the great advice. I really appreciate it.

Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  10:30:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
chocolate cures most ills!

I haven't cried over a knitting project (yet), but there have been plenty of other things in my life that I get so frustrated over I just cry! I HATE being frustrated, and I hate crying, and combining the two doesn't really make me feel any better. If and when it happens, I just get through it, try to walk away from the project or situation for a while and calm down. It's probably really a combo of some kind of outside stress(es) and/or hormones, as I'm far more emotional the week before

2005 Projects:
WIPs: scalloped baby blanket, cabled lapghan
USO: slipper socks, rib & cable tank top
FO: lacy baby blanket, dishcloth baby blanket
Go to Top of Page

VickiKK
Seriously Hooked

935 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  10:49:05 AM  Show Profile Send VickiKK a Private Message
Ha, my clapotis is at the point that I'm to ravel and I've put it away in fear!! It's been a month now. Is it time?

I get frustrated when I keep making mistakes, but crying isn't one of the things I do. Surprisingly, since I tend to cry over everything else in my life that goes wrong.

Vicki near Seattle
Go to Top of Page

shazdownunder
Chatty Knitter

Australia
262 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  3:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit shazdownunder's Homepage Send shazdownunder a Private Message
Vicki don't be scared, it could turn out to be a lot of fun
Sharon
http://shazknit.blogspot.com

She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. Proverbs 31:13
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  5:28:33 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
The dropping of the stitches is the best part of knitting Clapotis.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2005 Stats: 3 WIPs, 15 FOs
Go to Top of Page

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  5:33:45 PM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
Oh, yes, I've cried, screamed, pulled tufts of my hair out and other emoting. I think if you care deeply about anything you do, whether knitting or whatever, you will take to heart any misadventures you have while doing it. The flip side is that my knitting has brought me such tremendous joy, satisfaction and peace, too.
Carol S.
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  5:47:01 PM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
I make lots and lots of mistakes knitting and started 50 years ago! I put it away, rip it out, frog it, or whatever comes to me (in that condition) as the sanest solution! Sometimes I finish it and am amazed that I don't even care that a knitter would see my mistakes immediately...so what! I felt that way about a sweater I made and I was in an upscale department store wearing it and a knit designer practically begged me to buy it off me! So whatever, don't worry, you're making it for the fun of it and just do it however you can or quit that pattern and do something else or get a hands-on helper from the LYS. For goodness sakes, don't let your joy in knitting be sullied for a moment. Just know that you always WILL solve it, so don't let yourself fret over it. There is always a solution, just like in math, I might not now how to find it, but it is solveable and you are able to do it! Rah, rah, give yourself the pep talk! :)
Go to Top of Page

RoseM
Permanent Resident

Canada
1898 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  10:59:45 AM  Show Profile Send RoseM a Private Message
I've said a blue word or two, been frustrated, wondered whether I was qiven my correct number of braincells at birth, jammed wips into bags that live in my closet for months and frogged. But always with a bit of a smile or smirk. Just find it all so fun. Personally, if I cried over a knitting project, I would know it was not about the knitting.

RoseM
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  5:14:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
I just finished the clap and I must admit there were moments when I was on the verge of screaming or tears. I couldn't believe how long it took me to "get it." But hang in there it looks great when it is done and is really worth all the work!

Knittin' Fool
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.