Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Bags or Purses?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  9:09:42 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

I've noticed with mainly American ladies that you call your handbags, purses.

What do you call your purses that you keep your money in?

Here in Australia we call our handbags, bags and purses are what we keep our money in.

Just wondered.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.

greengirl
Seriously Hooked

Taiwan
679 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  9:15:05 PM  Show Profile Send greengirl a Private Message
Oh, those are wallets! Or change purses! Depends on if they are for money that folds, or money that jingles.

Of course, in addition to calling handbags purses, we also call them handbags. There are a lot of regional differences in the US.
--greengirl (an American lady)

"Strange, isn't it..... we sometimes think someone else's life is more interesting then our own......while all the while the classic story could be all around us."
--from Jennifer Avalon's essay: Soap Opera
Go to Top of Page

midnightskyfibers
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  10:34:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit midnightskyfibers's Homepage Send midnightskyfibers a Private Message
wallet= where my money is. purse= smaller bag that hold just my wallet and cell bag= large tote= medium sizes

http://www.midnightskyfibers.com handspun and handpainted yarns, fibers, and kits.
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  10:40:44 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
And then there's pocketbook, which to me means paperback book, but to my New Jersey friends means handbag.

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

gibsongirl
Seriously Hooked

965 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  10:52:32 PM  Show Profile Send gibsongirl a Private Message
But wait--don't forget the coin purse, which is used to hold coins when your wallet has no zippered pockets (I have one of these and it definitely won't accommodate coins). Then there's the clutch, which is a small zippered bag that is larger than a coin purse but has no handle (and thus cannot qualify as a purse or a handbag). Confused yet? :)

-gibsongirl
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  11:38:59 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
And it's called a clutch because there is no handle and you have to clutch it for dear life lest you lay it down somewhere and it grows little feet and runs away.

West Coast US is definitely a Purse place. Unless you've just moved here from the East; then you go to Purse sales to get a Handbag.

lella [img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]
http://zippiknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  11:47:55 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
The clutch doesn't necessarily have a zipper, it could have a snap, or . . .

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  11:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
I have a purse that I put my wallet in. I have only recently started using the word purse. It always sounded so preppy to me, or too "grown-up." I always had my bag, or my backpack, or something. Now, I use a purse. I guess that says that I've grown up. Hmmm. . . I wonder when that happened.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

Seen on a church marquee: Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never be bent out of shape.
Go to Top of Page

(hristinac
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
6054 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  12:20:01 AM  Show Profile Send (hristinac a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ozknitter

Hi,

Here in Australia we call our handbags, bags and purses are what we keep our money in.

Here in the UK we call them the same as you lot Down Under .

(hristinac

The free pattern maniac.

http://purl-drops.blog-city.com

My vicarious knit-blog .

Go to Top of Page

sweetnsour
Chatty Knitter

USA
156 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  02:31:36 AM  Show Profile Send sweetnsour a Private Message
I flip flop between bag and purse. Since I've always had a really big bag/satchel and I carry more than money in it (I can't carry a dainty evening bag or clutch, I would go nuts), I tend towards bag.

Plus since it's called a 'Messenger Bag' anyway, it fits.

My mom says 'purse' when she means her smaller bag (handbag, whatever) and 'bag' means her big tote bag she puts her lunch and whatever else she's dragging with her in.
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  03:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I call the thing I carry all my junk in on a daily basis my bag (it's a Healthy Back bag from L. L. Bean, so it's basically a bottomless pit). It holds my wallet, which holds my money. I have a purse, which to me is a more traditional thing with handles that I use on special occasions. I also use tote bags for when I have a ton of stuff (or knitting) to haul around.

My sisters and I have what we call the "purse-of-our-dreams", which is actually the Holy Grail, in case any of you want to come with us on our quest! It's found in the same place as the "shoes-of-our-dreams", apparently!

I can still hear my Aunt Ebby from Queens say the word "pocketbook" (She left out the T!).

Jane

"Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things." Denis Diderot

My album: Jane's Pages
Go to Top of Page

Maybird
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  03:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maybird's Homepage Send Maybird a Private Message
I buck the trend altogether by having neither purse nor handbag (I'm British) - I have a wallet in my pocket and a ruck-sack or satchel for my book, notebook, knitting, tissues, other notebook, pens, cough sweets, miscellaneous fluff and stray bits of shopping. Hand-bags are never big enough nor comfortable enough to cary when fully loaded (and I ain't going nowhere without my knitting and books).
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  03:49:57 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
Funny about the omitted "t" with the auntie from Queens; in small-town Missouri in the Fifties, they also omitted it. As a wee one, I thought it was a pockabook...

Then we could get into the question of the item a purchase is put into at the store. Is it a bag or a sack? I had a New York City bakery tell me, "Oh, you're from the Midwest, aren't you?" when I said, "No, I really don't need a sack, I'm going to eat it now."

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

jbug
Chatty Knitter

234 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  04:33:27 AM  Show Profile Send jbug a Private Message
In the old South, U.S., pocketbook was the term also for handbag. Nowadays, we use purse for the bag, and wallet for the money holder.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, thinkin' of my sweet granny.
jbug
Go to Top of Page

scarlet
Chatty Knitter

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  07:46:26 AM  Show Profile Send scarlet a Private Message
I have something similar to those back bags from LLBean also, but in leather. Found it at a flea market years ago, you can keep a LOT of stuff in one of those. :)

Always wear your seatbelt. It makes it harder for the aliens to snatch you from your car.
Go to Top of Page

JaniceV
Chatty Knitter

USA
338 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  08:15:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit JaniceV's Homepage  Send JaniceV a Yahoo! Message Send JaniceV a Private Message
What money !!!!! I spend mine on yarn.

Janice

"Life is not counted by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of times your breath is taken away"
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  08:20:39 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
I had a boss from Australia once and every time I called my purse a purse she would say,"Girls,girls,girls, it's a handbag, not a purse. She cured me. KL
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  10:36:59 AM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message
>What money !!!!! I spend mine on yarn.

Me too, I found so many bargains lately I just couldn't resist.

Go to Top of Page

crise
Chatty Knitter

337 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  6:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit crise's Homepage Send crise a Private Message
hmmm, I seem to bypass the whole purse issue and throw my wallet into my knitting bag or diaper bag as needed. The preference is for the knitting bag.

Kris

2005 stats: 9 FO, 5 WIP, 6 USO, 1 Frogpond

How is it that my USO & WIP never decrease, no matter how many FO I create?

Go to Top of Page

knitbugg
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  11:02:32 AM  Show Profile Send knitbugg a Private Message
Long ago a pocketbook was what a man carried to hold his money in...it was kept in the brest pocket of his coat. Somewhere along the line women stole the term to mean a larger bag that would hold a wallet and a coin purse and other miscellany.

I tend to use anything that will hold my knitting project of the moment that has a small inside pocket that will hold my drivers license, my debit/credit card and a $20 bill.

Vanessa
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  11:27:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
Alright, I grew up in Illinois and now live in California. I throw my 'wallet' (a very lofty name for the falling apart scrap of leather that stood valiantly with me throughout college and these first couple years in the real world and now struggles to hold my ID, cards, and cash, and which has a change pocket) in my 'backpack' along with my laptop computer, notebook (the spiral bound kind - I still don't get why some laptops are called notebooks now, confuses the hell out of me), Big Binder O' Show Info (aka the JGM Bible), miscellaneous writing utensils, and the all important Cell Phone. Just going out, wallet and cell can get stuffed into my 'purse', which is mostly full of of ticket stubs and gum wrappers atm, but mostly I just stuff them into the pockets of the giant fleece hoodie that I wear everywear. I get teased for looking like a teenager or perpetual college student, with my hoodie and backpack, but I just can't really get into a purse-carrying habit, no matter how convenient it is when I remember it. And of course, the knitting bag goes with me everywhere, too, but I only put other stuff in it when I'm travelling and only want to deal with one carry-on.

WIPs: scalloped baby blanket, Homespun Stripes Afghan
USO: Catch the Wave Afghan, Checkerboard Afghan, Ripple Afghan

If you could be guaranteed money, wisdom, or love, which would you choose?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?