Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 not knitting, but a reason for it
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chrys
Chatty Knitter

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2002 :  10:09:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Chrys a Yahoo! Message Send Chrys a Private Message
Hello all

As I said, this one isn't really knitting related. I just found out I am pregnant with my third child. Still sort of in the surprised stage. Anyone know any books with really easy baby patterns?

Christy

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2002 :  10:53:10 AM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
Congratulations!

"Simple Knits for Cherished Babies" got good reviews from Clara and the listserv. I'm hoping to get it for Christmas. It's by the same woman who did "Comforts of Home." She loves garter stitch and hates patterns where you have to obsess over gauge. Very easy yet stylish.

Good luck!

Patti
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2002 :  12:20:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
quote:

Hello all

As I said, this one isn't really knitting related. I just found out I am pregnant with my third child. Still sort of in the surprised stage. Anyone know any books with really easy baby patterns?

Christy

The surprise never quite goes away, even after having been through it a couple of times. Congratulations!

Go to Top of Page

Mrs. C
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2002 :  1:12:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mrs. C's Homepage Send Mrs. C a Private Message
Hi Christy~

Congratulations! I am pregnant with my third too! I am due in early March.

Sorry, I don't have any book advice to offer since I am a newbie in the knitting arena. The one Patti posted about sounds great!

Best wishes,
Susan

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2002 :  1:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Wow, congratulations to you both!

My vote for easy peasy baby books is actually a tie:

Erika Knight's Simple Knits for Cherished Babies (which was mentioned already) - you can read my review at:

http://knittersreview.com/goto.asp?goto=CherBaby

and

Knitting for Baby, which was written by Melanie Falick (editor of Interweave Knits magazine and author of Knitting in America) and Kristin Nicholas, a wonderful designer who used to work for Classic Elite. This one is reviewed at:

http://knittersreview.com/goto.asp?goto=KnitforBaby

Both are not only helpful and easy books, but they're also gorgeous. I can imagine they'd be good relief during those bouts with morning sickness or the "what have I done?" syndrome - both books visually embody all that is warm and soft and cuddly and wonderful about babies. (No crying, no wet diapers, no nothing!)

I hope these suggestions help. Anyone else have ideas?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2054 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2002 :  4:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Congratulations to you & your family!
The Melanie F. title that Clara suggested was going to be my offer of a good baby book - instead I'll sencond her opinion.
If you live near a public library, look at their knitting section. Sometimes libraries will have a terrific selection of knitting books & since you can borrow them for free, go for it.
Much luck w/your next few months! Hope you're feeling well.

Go to Top of Page

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2002 :  8:14:00 PM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
Congratulations!! What happy news! (an early Christmas present, perhaps) I found out I was pregnant with my third the same time I found out I was pregnant with my second -- our twins just turned one and I'm STILL surprised to look over and see two toddlers....

I agree with the Melanie Falick book and also, anything by Jil Eaton (Minnies, for example) - lots of bulky yarns and simply styling. At a lot of yarn stores, you can buy individual Jil Eaton patterns if you aren't interested in the whole book.

Best wishes,
Carol

Go to Top of Page

MissPooh
Angel

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  10:07:31 AM  Show Profile Send MissPooh a Private Message
Congratulations to both Christy and Susan. May you have uneventful pregnancies and healthy babies.

I was looking for a good knitting for baby book, too, to knit something for a friend. thanks for the advice.

Mary Lou
Go to Top of Page

Chrys
Chatty Knitter

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  10:28:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Chrys a Yahoo! Message Send Chrys a Private Message
Thanks to everyone for the congrats and the advice. I will definately try to find those books and look them over. I tried the bookstore last night, but their selection was abysmally small. So I bought a Baby Blues comic strip book to pass the time for now
Christy

Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  2:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message
Hi Chrys!

I can also recommend some of the patterns by Yankee Knitter Designs. They are one page patterns. She has a really cute easy bulky pullover, in sizes from childrens 6 mos. to adults. I made two for my cousin who recently had twins, and they were very easy, fast and very cute (I actually added stripes to mine, but the pattern has several variations). I made matching hats and mittens for them as well (also Yankee Knitter Patterns).

This website lists a whole bunch of cute patterns by Yankee Knitter:

http://www.iseespots.com/iseespots/shop/yankeepatterns.html

Congratulations!

Jen

"Imagination mixed with vividness becomes reality."
Go to Top of Page

djfleesh
Chatty Knitter

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2002 :  2:04:59 PM  Show Profile Send djfleesh a Private Message
congratsn and best wishes on the new one! i agree with carols about the jill eaton books. minnies is a really good one. there's a child's kimono that is a quick and easy work up, but still very chic. all of her patterns are great!

fleesh

Go to Top of Page

mokumegane
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2002 :  06:40:00 AM  Show Profile Send mokumegane a Private Message
Get some Debbie Bliss books! She has some easy stuff, can really show you how to do new things and her patterns are so darned cute! Also, there's those learn to knit kits for booties, mittens and hat!

Amanda

Laugh- it keeps you sane!
Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2002 :  12:08:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
Congratulations!

I don't have kids yet, but my 1st niece is 7 months now and I've been having a blast knitting for her! Baby stuff is so fun 'cause it goes quick, and they grow so fast they constantly need new stuff!

Best wishes to you both!

Martheme

Martheme of Sheep Hearth of Golden Leaf Camp
visit the EC Fans site http://ecfans.com/forums.htm
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2002 :  8:49:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I am making a sweater for a friend's little grandson from Fiona McTague's book "Knitting for Babies and Toddlers, " page 34, the ivory one. I plan to make more of those, as there are 3 variations, in different colors. I also have Melanie Falick's book and I love the things in it, too! I need to get busy on some baby things, several due in May and soon after that. Congratulations to both of you! I miss those days, my baby is 12 now! I do have on little dgd who is just turned 4. I made her some angel socks for Christmas, and have a couple of cute sweaters in mind for later. Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?