Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 How does your partner back you up in knitting?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

KellyPg
Chatty Knitter

Malaysia
167 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  11:21:29 PM  Show Profile Send KellyPg a Private Message
Just a story to share. When my fiance shared with me that my future in laws asked him why I knit all the time, my first thought was "Well, they watch tv all the time." Then he said he simply told them "She likes it.". I couldn't love him more for it!

He also says I can buy the monetary equivalent in knitting stuff the amount he spends on DVD, computer games and Coca-cola (his new collection).

AND he tells me to stock up on emergency yarn, just in case either he or I lose our jobs and need a few weeks or months to find another one! Not likely, but it's so sweet of him to prepare for me!

Kelly

becka always
Permanent Resident

USA
1959 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  11:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit becka always's Homepage Send becka always a Private Message
That's so sweet, Kelly....sounds like the makings of a great marriage!! My sweet, sweet man is actually the one that got me started knitting. I'm 46 & disabled (for a long time, long story, but at home all of the time!!) and was going BATTY bc there was less & less for me to do as time went by. ANd once some long time before I was saying this about going stir crazy, I had mentioned maybe wanting to learn to knit one day, well, after I'm doing the 'i realy think i'm going crazy thing'...in the next couple of days he walks in with a 'learn to knit' kit...he had remembered that i had mentioned knitting long ago, seeks out a kit, gets it and brings it to me...i was so very, very touched!! I'm self-taught (june is the anniversary of my 1st year in knitting!!) and he always goes with me to LYS or goes for me...he's the one that found out that we had the new LYS in town one Sat., goes in & got something to surprise me & then we went over there. He looks over everything I knit & listens endlessly to me talk about knitting & it all makes him happy bc it makes me happy & I LOVE to knit, even more bc he got me started!

Addicted to the Knit
Becka Always
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  11:51:29 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
He has absolutely zero interest in my knitting, just as I have no interest in many of his hobbies. I actually like that as it gives each of us our "me" time.

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  11:58:56 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I've been knitting a lot longer than he's been my husband, so if he didn't like it it was too bad!

I think he likes me knitting because it means he can watch more of his tv shows/movies because I am only half concentrating on them, and it also means I am out of the house several nights each week!

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2005 Stats: 3 WIPs, 15 FOs
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  12:04:14 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
My Hubby thinks my knitting and spinning are "cute".

This is not a compliment in Scotland, not when used about a 46 year old woman. Small children and kittens are cute. Teddy bears are cute. He thinks my hobbies are reminiscent of playing making dollies clothes or something.

Now this is from the man that has been collecting, painting and wargaming with little toy soldiers for 35 years. Hmmmmmm........

At least he can`t moan at me for overspending, not with the amount he spends on his manly activity, no?

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  01:50:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
My bf has very little interest in my knitting but he is very supportive. Last weekend we went on a trip to the Southern Highlands and Canberra for some wine and fiber fun (wine for him, fiber for me). He learnt to knit last year but has not found it rewarding, and I kinda like it that he doesn't knit as it means we each have our 'own' time to do or own stuff. He i, however, very interested in the other aspects of knitting related activity - such as the design of my blog and website. He enjoys doing that sort of stuff, and I like having someone do the work I don't enjoy!

celia

My blog is here
http://celiaknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Maybird
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  02:05:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maybird's Homepage Send Maybird a Private Message
While he doesn't know and doesn't want to know how to do it himself, my husband likes me knitting, and admires how clever I am (!) and lets me 'explain' things to him when I'm stuck. He knows zip-diddly about knitting and isn't that interested, but his 'dumb' questions often help me see things in a whole new light and 'unstick' me. And he treats it as a talented thing I do, not exactly boasting about me, but absolutely no one gets to make teasing remarks about little old ladies in his presence!
Go to Top of Page

blazfglori
Permanent Resident

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  04:21:26 AM  Show Profile Send blazfglori a Private Message
That's cute, Kelly! :)

My DH is supportive of my knitting as well.
He's always asking what I'm working on at the moment, and doesn't even bat an eye when he sees me ordering more yarn and the packages come rolling in to the post office, even though I already have 3 huge Rubbermaid bins full of yarn.

Occasionally I will pull the bins out and go through my stash, and he will comment "Destashing or adding to?" LOL!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2656 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  05:09:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
Mine is very supportive - after all it was his mother who taught me to knit in the first place! Even throughout my Dale of Norway debacle, he has been patient and encouraging. I don't bug him about spending time/money on his hobbies (guitars and bicycles) and he doesn't bug me about the endless stream of yarn that flows into our house, up the stairs, seemingly never to flow back out...

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page

Ivynforestsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

465 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  05:41:36 AM  Show Profile Send Ivynforestsmom a Private Message
My husband is awesome! He always pretends to be interested when I jabber on about some new knitting or spinning technique I've learned. I've only seen him waver over my fiber once, and that was after Sheep and Wool when the massive pile of fiber I had purchased was threatening to consume anything that came near. It was really enough to give anyone pause... and I only heard the faintest gasp, before he turned away and headed upstairs to lie down.

Yvonne

Go to Top of Page

franna724
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  05:51:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit franna724's Homepage Send franna724 a Private Message
My hubby also listens while I go on and on about knitting. He has no interest in learning to knit, but he's willing to financially support my yarn habit...as long as I don't go overboard. But I also support his golfing and video game habit. We each have our own outlets, and as long as we respect them, everything is harmonious.

Anna
Go to Top of Page

tipper
Gabber Extraordinaire

364 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  05:53:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit tipper's Homepage Send tipper a Private Message
My fiance is fabulous about it. He's let me teach him to knit, and we're slowly making a patchwork afghan together. He'll let me drag him to yarn stores and asks me questions about yarn and knitting and spinning. He even helped me buy my spinning wheel! (And when I say "helped," I mean, "Pretty much paid for it all." - and he's not rich, either.) He's totally cool with me buying yarn all the time (like others mentioned above, he's got his manly gaming/comic book hobbies, which cost a heckuvalot of money) and he loves everything I knit. He's such a keeper.

http://www.plasticsoul.org/blog - Daily Fiber Therapy

http://scarfstyle.blogspot.com - Scarf Style Knit-Along
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  06:13:25 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
My DH was very instramental in helping me finance opening my store which I will always adore him for- this without me asking and we are talking thousands! He helps around the store in a fix-it sort of way and really tries not to get too involved in the day-to-day stuff or give too much unsolicited advice. He collects classic cars so hasn't said too much about yarn or shoes-my other weakness. I love hearing about all these sweet, suportive men. KL
Go to Top of Page

dignitynaplomb
Chatty Knitter

259 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  06:17:36 AM  Show Profile Send dignitynaplomb a Private Message
My DH is completely supportive, he encourages me to knit when i'm too stressed because he knows how much it relaxes me. I know he'd like to see me use up a bit more of my existing stash before buying anymore yarn, but he ususally doesn't say anything.

-Heather

http://sitnknit.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  07:17:15 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
My SO wants me to be happy and if knitting makes me happy, he's content with it. He goes yarn shopping with me, mainly to carry my purchases and watch me ooh and aah. He helped me decipher the instructions which came with my knitting machine and fix a part which had to be replaced. He made me a woolly board last Christmas. He admires what I do and helps me decide what project I should start next. I couldn't ask for a more helpful and supportive partner.

He does benefit from my obsession. He now has a closet of handknitted sweaters and socks. The latest sweater is Inishmore which finally converted him to intricate textures. He wears anything I make for him even if he doesn't particularly like it.

He's definitely a keeper.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  07:48:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
My DH is very supportive. He'll tell me to sit down and knit if I'm getting too worked up about something. We always try to make time for each of us to do what we really want during the weekends. I knit and spin, and he writes or works on collages.

He especially loves my knitting when it's for him. He's extra encouraging on the projects for him, constantly saying, "wow" or "that looks so great, I can't wait to wear it." I haven't started a vest for him yet, so the projects for him have been hats and socks. I'm in the middle of a pair of socks for him that were becoming very neglected and he mentioned how he was excited to wear them and how much he loves his other pair of socks. So I started working on them again.

Now if I could just get him to "enjoy" visiting yarn stores with me. When we went to buy my wheel, I could tell he wasn't the least bit interested, but as I was testing out the wheel I bought, I could tell from the look on his face that he was enjoying watching me spin. He always tells me that he knows everything is right with the world at the moment when I'm doing my knitting head-bob.

I think it's great when other partners are encouraging. Kelly, I'm so glad that your BF is so supportive. :)

erica :)
http://erica-lee.org/knit/blog/archive.html
Join the Midwest Knitters' Blog Ring
http://midwestknit.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MeezieGirl
Seriously Hooked

USA
623 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  08:18:17 AM  Show Profile Send MeezieGirl a Private Message
My husband is also very supportive. No complaints about packages of yarn coming in the mail. He even chooses to go into yarn shops with my daughter and me, when he could do something else. I've suggested that he learn to knit, but he hasn't, yet. We've been married 27 years, so we're into a live-and-let-live state. I don't want to push him, but I think he'd be happier with a hobby himself - one that isn't as frustrating to him as his current ones of caligraphy and singing.

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Anny
Warming Up

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  08:48:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Anny's Homepage Send Anny a Private Message
I am also lucky to have a supportive bf :) He will listen to me talk about my current or upcoming projects AND take me yarn shopping! He's also the first one to compliment me on my work and always tries to console me if something doesn't turn out.

He has his own hobbies that I support him in or share, golfing (his), video games (I play once in a while).

It's all good :)
Anny

http://littleknitter.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  08:53:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
I'm also a lucky one - my DH has always been supportive of my fiber pursuits. I crocheted, sewed and quilted when we married, and have added tatting, weaving, spinning, bobbin lace and knitting in the 22 years since then. He loves showing off things I've made, and talks about my work even more than I do.

He has no real interest in doing any of those things himself, but he has tried each of them through the years, and knows the terminology and the processes involved in each. He even comes along to talk to people and explain when I'm demonstrating in public!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

sparkleplenty
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
484 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  09:04:43 AM  Show Profile Send sparkleplenty a Private Message
My husband is so supportive of all of my hobbies. I've been knitting for about a year and a half. I've just recently been bitten by the lace bug. I was whining to my husband that it seemed like every time I started a new project I had to buy needles. He told me that I needed to get all the tools to practice my craft. I said well...I could try these Denise needle kits. He went on eBay and bought me a set. He can't seem to remember where the recycle bin is, but I think I'll keep him anyway!

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  09:47:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
and we always hear about how many jerks there are in the world, it's nice to hear so many great stories about sweet and supportive guys! My bf and I recently broke up (better friends than lovers), but we still share living space and are still great friends. He also doesn't really take an active part in my knitting, other than to make encouraging comments on whatever WIP I have going. I use his opinion to back up any pattern changes I've made, and I know he'd go to the LYS for me and come back with the proper tools/yarn if I asked him to. He also brags about me and my knitting quite a bit, which is sweet, even if it does give me some un-sought-after projects sometimes. He's a carpenter, and we usually joke that he creates with wood, steel, glue and tools, and I create with thread, floss, yarns, and needles. My hobby is far more transportable, though, makes him jealous.

WIPs: scalloped baby blanket, Homespun Stripes Afghan
USO: Catch the Wave Afghan, Checkerboard Afghan, Ripple Afghan

If you could be guaranteed money, wisdom, or love, which would you choose?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?