Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 How does your partner back you up in knitting?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

knittherapy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  10:57:20 AM  Show Profile  Send knittherapy a Yahoo! Message Send knittherapy a Private Message
Hooray for the good guys!
My husband is very supportive...he'd have to be to let me drag him to Stitches Midwest last year! He also helps me wind yarn, since I don't have a swift yet. I made him a scarf last winter, and when he wore it to work, he told everyone his wife made it for him! I'm now working on a cardigan for him, which we ended up making a pattern for because he wanted it to be one-of-a-kind, and he is genuinely interested in seeing it take shape bit by bit.

Lori [img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]

My knitting photos
I'm blogging now!
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  2:06:43 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message

I don't think my husband would ever go into a LYS and buy yarn or needles for me ,but he is supportive of my knitting,and always admires my completed projects.

Leslie
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  2:45:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Just last night my DH kindly got out of his comfortable chair so I could check on him the size of a jersey (sweater) I am knitting (have been spinning and knitting off and on for ages for it!) as a surprise present for my father's 80th birthday in a couple of months. I am petrified it will be too small as I can't check the sizing on one of Dad's jerseys without clueing him in.

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

oneangel77
Gabber Extraordinaire

453 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  2:59:22 PM  Show Profile Send oneangel77 a Private Message
My Fiance is very supportive and is always encouraging me to knit. He lets me wander off to the yarn shop to sit for hours even though we have a ton of stuff to do...like cleaning the house

He actually is the one the buys all of my yarn for me!
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  4:40:19 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
My hubby is supportive of my knitting. He has bought yarns, needles and books for me that I've asked him to get me when he's out and about on his lunch hour. He took me and my DD's to every LYS in their surrounds when last we visited and secretly fingered all the alpaca and started asking questions about it. He found his own choice of sweater yarn on one such excursion for needles. This was before I'd offered to make him an aran isle, so I think it was a hint. He compliments my knitting and loves his new socks to bits. I've got more planned for him but that list is growing. I think I will teach him to knit as that seems like the next step. heehee

lella [img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]
http://zippiknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

amber
Seriously Hooked

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  4:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit amber's Homepage Send amber a Private Message
My sweet boyfriend never makes faces when I bring new yarn home. After Stitches West I came home with a couple shopping bags of yarn (big bags) and he asked me "that's it? I thought you'd buy more." He'll help me wind balls of yarn and whatnot if I ask. But I've never needed to send him out to buy me yarn or anything. And he'll go to yarn stores with me if we're out somewhere but honestly I prefer to go alone... then I can browse and pet all of the yarn without feeling like someone is waiting on me

And he does appreciate the work and talent involved in knitting even if I don't knit for him too often. He's got one scarf from me which doesn't get worn but on the coldest days. We live in California and he's super warm blooded

Looks like we've got a bunch of great guys here!

-Amber

Current Projects and what not:
http://yarnjunkie.blogspot.com/
Finished Projects:
http://yarnjunkie2.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knittin away
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  6:10:15 PM  Show Profile
Well, I suppose if he jokes that we have a ghost in the house when my high stack of plastic boxes holding the stash falls over .
Go to Top of Page

SaintJay
Chatty Knitter

113 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  7:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit SaintJay's Homepage Send SaintJay a Private Message
My SO knits, so he never complains when I come home with new yarn. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I let him raid my stash and borrow my needles!
Go to Top of Page

pqpatch
Seriously Hooked

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  7:41:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit pqpatch's Homepage Send pqpatch a Private Message
I am very fortunate. My husband is very supportive of my knitting and quilting endeavors. He even likes to go into the quilt shops with me and will point things out. He is the best!! I think I'll keep him!
Go to Top of Page

Punctuatedknitter
Seriously Hooked

819 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  11:27:09 PM  Show Profile Send Punctuatedknitter a Private Message
My husband is great. He reads to me while I knit. (I have already picked out my project for the new Harry Potter book--something with miles of stockinette so I won't be distracted).
Go to Top of Page

amber
Seriously Hooked

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  07:05:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit amber's Homepage Send amber a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jainkym@yahoo.com

My husband is great. He reads to me while I knit. (I have already picked out my project for the new Harry Potter book--something with miles of stockinette so I won't be distracted).

That is so funny. My boyfriend read the harry potter series to me while I knit. Once we finished the series the reading kinda ended as well... can't wait for the next book

-amber

Current Projects and what not:
http://yarnjunkie.blogspot.com/
Finished Projects:
http://yarnjunkie2.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

charli@snet.net
New Pal

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  08:09:08 AM  Show Profile Send charli@snet.net a Private Message
My husband has a boat, so we have this don't ask, don't tell how much $$ we each spent on our hobbies! He travels throughout the state and New England and he has actually offered to stop at various LYS for me if I need something, however, I haven't taken him up on this yet.
Go to Top of Page

Stitching Fool
Chatty Knitter

196 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  08:14:59 AM  Show Profile Send Stitching Fool a Private Message
From an old married woman (almost 17 yrs.):

You girls with the boyfriends/fiances/SOs that support your knitting obsession---keep those men! My husband thought my needlepoint hobby was a passing phase until I got serious taking classes & all. When this new knitting craze took over my AND my daughter (12 yo), he just took it in stride and shows appreciation for my completed knitted projects (which I crank out alot faster than I did the needlepoint ones!) Basically I support his wood-working, guitar, gardening, golf, etc. and he supports my loves--especially cooking (yeah, like that one's hard). It was great when we remodeled our kitchen last year and he let me have my first choice on all equipment, however pricey.

Have fun enjoying your hobbies with (and without) your partner.

Marie
Go to Top of Page

Sabrina Fair
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  08:51:37 AM  Show Profile Send Sabrina Fair a Private Message
When we first became an item my husband was entertained by laughing at the 'dish cloth' I was knitting. (For dish cloth read Rowan natural yarn pullover worked in the round). On completion of this, he stopped laughing and has never laughed since.

Infact he's good. He now understands a lot more about knitting, I can ask him design opinions. He knows where my stash cupboard is and that its non-negociable.

He is also dead lucky as he has an obsession with wearing guernseys. This was developed by his grandmother when he was a child. I have an obsession with making them. As you can imagaine this skill was not top of his agenda in his early 20 when we met.

Sabrina

Sabrina fair,
Listen where thou art sitting
Under the glassy, cool, translucent wave,
In twisted braids of lilies knitting

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sabrina_fair1/album?.dir=/7ab3
Go to Top of Page

Gina70
Chatty Knitter

114 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  10:04:44 AM  Show Profile Send Gina70 a Private Message
He isn't interested in my knitting, i.e. he doesn't inquire as to what I am making. However, he is supportive of the fact that I do it. It occupies my time and therefore he doesn't have entertain me and if I am concentrating on knitting he can watch whatever he wants on TV and I won't care. I think he would like it if I knit him something, though.
Go to Top of Page

jennaknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  1:23:36 PM  Show Profile Send jennaknits a Private Message
My boyfriend was actually the person who told me about the knitting group that got me started and went and tried to knit with me that first night. He gave up, but I persisted. He suggested we go to Michael's one time on a mall outing, and though he pretended he didn't want to be in a craft store, he was more excited about the yarn than me! He was suggesting projects and feeling yarns with the biggest smile. He even runs off to get me the right needles before I can even ask. He has his hobbies that I don't have any interest in but respect, because they matter to him, and he takes the same attitude to my knitting. He encourages me to knit when I've had a bad day and is always complimentary and willing to model scarves when I need to gauge the length on them. I'm very lucky.

http://knitdiva.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KysKnitnMom
Permanent Resident

1050 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  1:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit KysKnitnMom's Homepage Send KysKnitnMom a Private Message
I wouldn't say my DH supports or doesn't support my knitting. I don't care about showing him new yarn I bought or things I have knit. Just like I don't care about seeing his new golf stuff.

Megann, in sunny San Diego.

http://allthingsm.typepad.com/

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kysknitnmom/my_photos

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about....
Go to Top of Page

calicokitty6
Seriously Hooked

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  1:58:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit calicokitty6's Homepage Send calicokitty6 a Private Message
Wow, I think we are all pretty lucky to have found so many great boyfriends, partners, or husbands to encourage us in our passion.

My DH suppports and encourages me with my hobbies, knitting, crochet, creating stained glass items,and painting ceramics. He doesn't complain about how much I spend since it does not effect him. He even helped me set up and organize one of the spare rooms as a craft room in our house for all my stuff and equipment.

I wanted to go to ACMoore to a Midnight Madness Sale a few months ago and he went with me. He gave me his opinion on some of the yarns I was interested in and kept telling me to take as long as a I wanted to find everything I needed.

He has his own hobbies, 3 older cars (1977-1979), and he enjoys working with mechanical things and carpentry. He is not interested in having me make him anything since he is always warm, even in the winter in New England.

=^..^= Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Karen in CT
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  7:51:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karen in CT's Homepage Send Karen in CT a Private Message
My husband is very supportive of my knitting. He shows an interest in whatever I am working on and his eyes don't noticeably glaze over when I talk about knitting. He doesn't make too many jokes about my stash and even encourages me to go yarn shopping. His hobbies are not cheap either so he may do this so I don't say anything about what he spends. But either way, it works for me!

Karen in CT
http://needlesandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

KellyPg
Chatty Knitter

Malaysia
167 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  9:35:40 PM  Show Profile Send KellyPg a Private Message
What wonderful keepers we have here! Just to add to it, my fiance actually feels guilty I don't spend as much on knitting as he spends on his hobbies. For eg., if he spends a 50, so must I. But then, he can go through a computer game within a few weeks, DVDs 1/night, & Coca-cola is only for display. I don't knit that fast! Well, he won't have to feel guilty anymore when I start purchasing ....certain..... types of yarn; I'm only using acrylic & cotton now.
He encourages me to get the full range of tools and every size I might use. He knows what it feels like when he needs a certain size for screwdriver, nails, or pliers and there's none in the toolbox! I'm soooo lucky he thinks that way.

Kelly
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.