Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Anyone knit with Silk Road DK Tweed?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shanonstone@hotmail.com
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  11:52:02 PM  Show Profile Send shanonstone@hotmail.com a Private Message
I am planning to knit an aran sweater for my husband, and was thinking of using Silk Road DK Tweed. Clara's review was positive about the yarn, but somewhere on the internet I read a negative review. The person stated that it was very hard to get a nice and even knitted fabric with this yarn, and that the yarn tends to turn into 2 loose strands.
Has anybody knitted a cabled pattern with this yarn and have the same problems?

amber
Seriously Hooked

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  11:58:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit amber's Homepage Send amber a Private Message
http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35218

they were chatting about this yarn as well

-Amber

Current Projects and what not:
http://yarnjunkie.blogspot.com/
Finished Projects:
http://yarnjunkie2.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

shanonstone@hotmail.com
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  9:56:40 PM  Show Profile Send shanonstone@hotmail.com a Private Message
I went ahead and ordered a skein of this yarn, and knitted a nice size swatch in a cable pattern from Elsebeth Lavold's book. I didn't have any problems at all with uneven stitches or unwinding strands. The yarns feels very cushy and soft and knits up easily. I don't think that this is a yarn that will stand up to heavy wear, as it fuzzed up after only 1 washing. Also it doesn't take much to break the strand. This will probably pill very fast and breaks or holes seem very likely. Probably best for plain stockinette stitch as this won't snag as other patterns with relief would.
Go to Top of Page

terivan
Chatty Knitter

Australia
240 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  6:39:31 PM  Show Profile Send terivan a Private Message
I'm 90% through knitting Rafn from Lavold's Viking Patterns for Knitting, so I can't say how it will wear. It is easy to knit with, and I'm not having any problems, but it is a bit 'thick & thin', which I didn't expect. The stitches look a bit uneven at the moment, but blocking will fix that. I'm doing this for a friend, as I don't like the feel of the knitted fabric, but don't mind knitting with it.

Terry
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  04:40:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
We've (ourselves and customers) made a dozen sweaters, as many scarves/shawls, and even a pair of socks out of Jo Sharp's Silkroad (I'm assuming you meant Jo Sharp?) We did notice that texture showed up very well, but plain knitting looked... well... very plain. Not much happening visually there, particulary for a tweed. Even a wide set thin cable did more for us visually than row after row of knit. Color work blended very nicely between changes, most of the colors compliment one another anyways, and I've seen one (shawl? sweater? don't recall now) in thin stripes of deep blue and deep blue/teal that was drop dead stunning.

That said, as with most of the "designer name" yarns, yes there are knots and slubby spots. Most of us ended up rewinding the balls to check for this (better on the ball winder than half-way through a row!) but if you're doing texture an end can be woven in without notice most of the time.

In all - we love silkroad. Very soft, and when used with a gentle hand the drape is just right. Shows off your handywork very well, and great for cables, texture, and colors.

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  7:29:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
I'm knitting a cabled stole in the aran weight and I'm not having any problems with it. The cables stand out nicely in the tweedy textured wool.

Wen

2005 stats: 7 FO, 9 WIP, 1 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  8:00:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message
I am almost finished with my aran sweater that I am using the Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran..... and I just ADORE it. It is just too lucious!

Dorene

"You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what's a life, anyway? We're born, we live a little while, we die. A spider's life can't help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone's life can stand a little of that."

Charlotte "Charlotte's Web"

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?