Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Am I the only dumbo who can't follow instructions?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  08:35:52 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

Am I the only dumbo who can't follow instructions, I read in these forums all the time people who've taught themselves how to knit in a matter of days.

I have tried to learn how to crochet numerous times, from books, magazines and even on the internet, step by step, but still no joy.

I've also got a Bond Knitting Machine, actually I've got 2 but I digress, that came with a book and a video, I've watched it over and over and nothing.

Maybe I'm going senile, but if that's the case I must have been like that all of my life, although I did notice when I was pregnant my brains went out to lunch and I don't think they ever came back, I'm always searching for the right words, then I ask the family and 9 times out of 10, you'll hear somebody yelling out in the middle of the night, its such and such. When questioned in the morning they know nothing about it and can't remember it again.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.

Fraggle
Seriously Hooked

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  09:12:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fraggle's Homepage Send Fraggle a Private Message
No, your not a dumbo. Sometimes it takes me forever to figure things out.

With crochet it is important to remember that each stitch is independant of the other. You can end the work at anytime anywhere. That's what makes it so different. www.stitchguide.com might help you to figure out what you need. If you weren't in Australia I could teach you, but alas, we are too far apart.

I felt that way about knitting. It took me weeks to figure out how to do what and that was before I found all of my resources. Let me know if I can help you any.

~ Fraggle

". . . Or if you send me your size I'll knit you a new one" -Hawkeye on M*A*S*H

http://craftingandrambling.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  09:32:31 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
When you learn to knit or crochet, you have to learn 2 things, the mental part that tells you what to do and the then the muscle training so your hands make the right moves. I don't believe anyone can do that in a few days. They are just fooling themselves. What is the problem you are having with the crochet? Holding the yarn, making one stitch, or what? Post here and we can help you step by step. Do you know how to knit? There are many similarities between knitting and crochet, both make fabric from loops. We are willing to help you. I suspect you may be attempting too much at a time and can give you step by step processes to learn it.

fran
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  10:03:54 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
It's not your fault; it's Bond's. Their video and booklet are simply put, not done well at all. If I had not taped their appearance on the shopping channel I'd still be lost.

Check out yahoo groups for Bond knitters - much more helpful.

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

Anny
Warming Up

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  10:05:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Anny's Homepage Send Anny a Private Message
I am self taught from books, internet and videos. Although I haven't relied on others to help me learn, it doesn't mean it didn't come with any frustrations.

So many times I tried to follow instructions and I would fail. I would get upset, cry, yell and try it over. Sometimes it took me many attempts to finally "get it".

Above all, knitting teaches you patience :) Well, at least that's what it did for me, lol! It's okay not to "get it" right away and have to try it over a few times, it's part of the process. Some techniques are harder to master on your own and will take a while before you get it right.

The thing is to keep trying and give yourself a break :)

Anny

http://littleknitter.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

NaProus
Permanent Resident

1828 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  10:34:28 AM  Show Profile Send NaProus a Private Message
You're not alone! I'm a pretty good knitter (though by no means expert!), and relatively self-taught -- I like to play with different stitches and such. And I don't succeed with everything -- but knitting is teaching me patience. I know it may take me a while to "get" something, and I also know there are some things that aren't worth "getting", at least for me.

But crochet? you have to be kidding! I took a beading class with Bethany Barry, author of Bead Crochet, and it took me TWO HOURS to make a simple chain the length of a necklace!! I was a basket case afterwards, too.

I think Fran is on to something with the muscle memory... my muscles seem to be able to handle knitting, but boy oh boy did they rebel when it came to crochet!

Be patient and kind with yourself -- it helps a lot.

What's a leper bandage? http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bandages.html
http://www.ghm.org/resources/knitted.htm
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  10:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
beings as i forget so much daily.....
i wander around the house trying to remember what the hell i was doing......
it doesn't seem strange to me
now when i was a mere slip of a girl.....( and at one time i actually was...... a girl and very tiny)
i didn't have this problem...
i was sharp as a tack but a bit naive.......
now i am as rusty as an old nail......
but a lot more street wise...
mmmmmm
i am not sure if it is a good or bad trade off
vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jennaknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  12:12:18 PM  Show Profile Send jennaknits a Private Message
I know just how you feel. It takes me a while to get a lot of things, and although I love SnB, I couldn't get anything out of the instructions, for the most part. I need to see someone do it and have them watch me and correct me. I figured out increasing into the front and back of a stitch from watching videos at knittinghelp.com, though, since I could just keep pausing and replaying, and hopefully that'll help me with knitting in the round and intarsia.

http://knitdiva.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

becka always
Permanent Resident

USA
1959 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  12:38:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit becka always's Homepage Send becka always a Private Message
ok, i'm a self-taught knitter, and as ya'll have said...trial & error, knitting & frogging...over & over & the book that I found that helped me the most was 'knitting for dummies'....I EXPECT NO COMMENTS ON THAT!!..
naprous...i'm with u, i decided that i was going to teach myself to crochet, got a kit (that's how i started with knitting; small kit with book & couple of needles & accessories)...well...i think fran hit the nail on the head, too, about the different muscle use...that and the fact that while I was learning this or that with crochet in the back of my mind there were all these things that i knew i could be doing in knitting...and quickly; as opposed to trying to do some crochet...so i said..forget it...lol. the only reason i really wanted to do any crochet was for sewing things together such as afghans & such. and..jenna, i was just about to mention all of the videos that amy has done over at knittinghelp.com they r very good from the very basic c/o to more advanced sts and I am sure as time goes on she will add more videos. her teaching style is very good & easily understandable...for knitting, tho, obviously!
now, wasn't rose saying something about memory...what were we talking about?! i forget

Addicted to the Knit
Becka Always
Go to Top of Page

kfgardner
Chatty Knitter

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  4:53:40 PM  Show Profile Send kfgardner a Private Message
I'm self taught from books and a CD I got at Joann's. I spent a few days just learning how to cast on. It was very frustrating until I got the hang of it. Not so easy without someone to show you how. It used to be passed on from mother to daughter or grandmother to granddaughter. Not so much any more and I think that's a shame.

Kimberly
Go to Top of Page

moxie
Seriously Hooked

844 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  6:39:39 PM  Show Profile Send moxie a Private Message
Don't feel like a dummy! Everyone learns best in different ways. I'm big on book learning, and can follow by watching demonstrations, but have trouble concentrating when people tell me verbally how to do things. I.e. I learn by eye best.

This is usually good, but it means that I am hopeless when asking for directions or when people tell me recipes or patterns... by the time a person is telling me what to do at the third right turn after the overpass, or when to do the yarnover, I'm still processing the first sentence and don't hear what they're saying.

Moxie
Go to Top of Page

Deni
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  6:51:58 PM  Show Profile Send Deni a Private Message
fmarrs offered to help ozknitter with crocheting. I was wondering if I could get a pointer. My problem is that I don't know where to put the hook. Does it go under the front loop or under the back loop or under both? And what about when I go back the other way?

The reason I like knitting so much is that the stitches are right there on the needle where I can find them. I don't have to go looking for them. LOL
Go to Top of Page

sparkleplenty
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
484 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  7:48:24 PM  Show Profile Send sparkleplenty a Private Message
As it's been said, I think it's really important to know how you prefer to process information. I don't think just learning from a book, or even video, works for everyone. There's definitely something to be said for learning from a person.

Deni--to answer your question:
quote:
My problem is that I don't know where to put the hook. Does it go under the front loop or under the back loop or under both? And what about when I go back the other way?

For the first row, I don't think really matters whether you just go through one loop or both, just be consistent. I usually go through both loops. After the first row, you'll definitely put your hook through both loops.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

kathysknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  8:09:01 PM  Show Profile Send kathysknits a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mokey

It's not your fault; it's Bond's. Their video and booklet are simply put, not done well at all.

I have to agree with mokey on this as a matter of fact I taught myself to knit in an attempt to understand that *#@ Bond machine and once I did learn I haven't touched that stupid bond machine again!!!!!

Kat
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  8:37:07 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Everybody learns differently. It doesn't mean you're dumb, it just means you process information differently. Some ppl learn better by reading, some by hearing, some by doing. Add to that that some instructions 'speak' better to some than to others.

I happen to be able to follow written instructions fairly well, but I can't make head nor tail out of Vogue instrucitons, yet some ppl just love them.

So, yes, it is you, but it doesn't mean you're dumb, you just learn differently.

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

Fraggle
Seriously Hooked

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  9:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fraggle's Homepage Send Fraggle a Private Message
quote:
I was wondering if I could get a pointer. My problem is that I don't know where to put the hook. Does it go under the front loop or under the back loop or under both? And what about when I go back the other way?

Both loops usually but you can get different effects by going under just one loop. If following a pattern it is go under both unless otherwise noted. Going back the other way is the same.

~ Fraggle

". . . Or if you send me your size I'll knit you a new one" -Hawkeye on M*A*S*H

http://craftingandrambling.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Deni
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  10:19:45 PM  Show Profile Send Deni a Private Message
Thanks much for the crochet info. I don't do much -- well, I didn't know how, so I wouldn't, would I? :-) But sometimes it's handy to know for when you have to put an edging on or something.
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  06:33:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
I don't think you're a dumbo. Everyone learns differently. For some, learning from a book works best. Others need to "see the action," such as from a video or live demonstration. Then again, some people prefer to have audio instruction, and others are of the "what happens if I do THIS?" variety of learner. Most people, I think, are a combination of one or more of these styles. (I consider myself to be a book/what happens if I do THIS person, although sometimes I just have to have someone show me.) The important thing is to hang in there!!

Barb, I agree with you on Vogue patterns; not just their knitting ones, but their sewing patterns too. I really think they ought to change their name to Vague.

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

--Susan

"Implying that Fran can't knit is kind of like implying that the Pope can't pray."--RachelKnitter
Go to Top of Page

MJB
Chatty Knitter

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  06:54:50 AM  Show Profile Send MJB a Private Message
Rose,

and then I think I get it and try a pattern and they seem to have their own'dialect" ...I get frustrated at Rowan patterns and then just this week I bought S Charles Collezione...and looked at the fan and feather cami on the back cover..thought I could handle the skills needed....and worked out the row schedule and pattern and colors then did a plan of the stitiches per row AND I can't get it to equal the co # of stitiches.....
sigh...so i thought back to scarves......but I want to do something fabulous so I will persevere!( might drive a lys owner to groaning when she sees me coming but I'm a good investment!lol)

mjb
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  11:45:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
Rose when you learn to crochet make sure you use an English or Australian book/video. If you try to learn from a US text you will be learning a different language so you won't be able to use Australian patterns without re learning. ie the same term has different meanings.

I did a 30 min class at the last craft show and then I bought the The Crochet stitch bible. Having the lesson really helps because you have someone there who can tell you what you are doing wrong initially. Once you get those basics it's just a matter of practice.

Wen

2005 stats: 7 FO, 9 WIP, 1 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  07:35:35 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi and thank you all so very much.

Fran I can do a chain as long as you like but then I don't know where to go, like how to do the second row or whatever they call it, I've tried hooking it into the same stitch but it just looks really weird.

How do people make it go in rounds?

Fraggle I will look into the website you mentioned.

Mokey that's good to know about Bonds, I thought I was going mad.

Wen thanks for your tip, I'll make sure I'm learning from an Aussie book or website.

Thank you so much everybody for your input.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by