Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 WWYD - Legs too tight!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yummysoakers
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  4:55:29 PM  Show Profile Send yummysoakers a Private Message
I just finished knitting a soaker for my son who has chubbier legs than I had originally thought. The waist and butt fit perfectly, the legs are a bit snug. The legs were basically grafted on by picking up stitches. I still have enough yarn that I could rip them out and start over. That's probably what I should do, I'm just not relishing the idea. Would you bother to rip them out and start again? How can I avoid the same mistake twice? I picked up 3 out of every 4 stitches on a 2 by 2 rib. Grrrr, I'm so frustrated!

Help!

TIA!

moxie
Seriously Hooked

844 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  6:32:46 PM  Show Profile Send moxie a Private Message
Tee hee, chubby baby legs are great!

You've effectively knit a swatch, so measure around the legs you knit, and figure out how many stitches per inch. Write this number down. Then measure around your son's leg, and multiply by your stitches/inch number to get the number of stitches you should pick up around the leg. If it's not exactly every stitch or 3 out of every 4 stitches it won't matter...

If you're not comfortable distributing the stitches around the legs, you could try this tip: if I know I have to pick up 50 stitches around a circle, for instance, I will use safety pins to divide the circle into halves, then quarters, then eighths-- then in every eighth of the circle, I can figure out by eye where to pick up 6-7 stitches. Hopefully that made sense...

Now go ahead, rip out the old legs... just pull out a loose end without thinking about it and you'll be free of the dilemma!

Moxie
Go to Top of Page

yummysoakers
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  6:27:30 PM  Show Profile Send yummysoakers a Private Message
Thanks Moxie! I did end up ripping out the legs, and re-did them. I decided to pick up every stitch, because the body of the soaker still has tons of room to stretch and grow, I figured I might as well go whole hog and make the legs the same. Anyway the fit is GREAT now! I'm going to copy out your calculations for future use though, thank you so much for the tip!
Go to Top of Page

miocat
New Pal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  7:10:29 PM  Show Profile Send miocat a Private Message
Yummysoakers - what pattern are you using? I read in your intro post that you have patters from WW, LTK, and F&F - I have all these, too, and I'm wondering which one you just made.

--mio
Go to Top of Page

alliwenk
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  7:36:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit alliwenk's Homepage Send alliwenk a Private Message
I'm wondering which pattern you're using too. I've made many LTK soakers & feel that the leg measurements are too snug as written. I knit at least 6 more rows for the crotch (after you're knitting/purling back & forth & are finished decreasing...right before you kitchener) to make it roomier. Then I accomodate for this with a tighter than usual ribbing for the legs. I love the pattern but am interested in hearing from other soaker knitters because I'm not 100% satisfied.

My Album and My Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?