Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 knitting around other guys
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

sweetnsour
Chatty Knitter

USA
156 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  12:02:16 AM  Show Profile Send sweetnsour a Private Message
I agree about just ignoring them. People that feel the need to tell you what they think of you without asking don't have a lot to do, or it makes them feel better or something...I don't understand it much either. I know many people that feel the need to give their two bits all the time and it's annoying as hell.

If it gets really bad:

Tell them to get bent, then brandish your knitting needles in a threatening manner while making martial arts style whoops and hollers (WAAAATAAAAAAA!!). If you look really serious while doing it, they'll back up in a hurry. If they don't, RUN!

Best Wishes to you, Collieknit!

Amy

The knitter that likes her Hong Kong action films as much as the next girl ;)
Go to Top of Page

collieknit
Warming Up

84 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  10:06:50 PM  Show Profile Send collieknit a Private Message
Thanks for the advice, all of you. Yep, real men are man enough to knit and strong enough to purl.
Go to Top of Page

knittingmale
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  1:45:26 PM  Show Profile Send knittingmale a Private Message
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the forums. I saw this topic and felt compelled to tell you my story.

I've been knitting for about 4 or 5 years now. I was taught by a very good friend of mine that I've known for most of my life. She's a knitting instructor in Michigan. I live in New York. She was out visiting me in New York one time, and we were waiting in the airport for her flight back to Michigan. She was knitting along, and I finally asked her, why don't you teach me? She gladly gave me a set of circulars and some waste yarn and I started doing some stockinette! I picked it up pretty quick by just watching her, and her great teaching methods.

I can't say that I'm a huge knitter, because I have a hard time finding the time to knit. I've knitted in airports, and on airplanes and never really have a problem with people seeing me knit. If anything I've gotten pretty good responses from people. They're generally amazed at the fact that a man can knit. I think some of the women that have commented actually find it attractive! [meow]

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! I should now go and try to work on that full-length cabled coat I'm working on for my friend, because she harrasses me everytime I see her that its not done yet. I started it over two years ago!
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  3:17:56 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Rob, I love your story, and am amazed at your patience. Anything I have on the needles for more than 6 months tends to get buried so far down, it may never see the light of day again. Which tends to be hard on the needles supply. [crazy]

Barbara
It's a feature, not a bug.

Photos:
Blog:
Fran's Site:

Go to Top of Page

DorsetMartin
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  11:26:59 AM  Show Profile Send DorsetMartin a Private Message
I only discovered this thread today.
www.menknit.net is down, some hackers got into the site & destroyed it. Dan is trying to fix it.
www.menwhoknit.com is another friendly guy site.
I knit on the subway in New York to & from work depending on if I can get a seat or not. I get looks but no comments as yet. I knit across the Atlantic going home home for Easter but was not allowed to on the way back! American Airlines.
I go to Boy's Night @ The Point, Sunday evenings 5:30-7:00 www.thepointnyc.com
I've been knitting some items from 'Last Minute Knitted Gifts" from Purl New York & when I got stuck popped into the SoHo store & got tons of free help. Once from the owner/ designer!
I've not visited all of the Yarn Stores in Manhattan but the ones I have have all been very friendly & supportive.
A few weeks ago I was channel surfing & came across Debbie Bliss on a late night show. She was talking about knitters & always referred to them as women. I googled her & found an email address. Dashed off a complaining email. Next day I got a response form someone in her office & the day after an apology from Debbie herself!!!!!!!!!

You made a mistake.
It's homemade. Nobody's purlfect in this world!
Go to Top of Page

collieknit
Warming Up

84 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  10:13:45 PM  Show Profile Send collieknit a Private Message
Hey folks, it's been a while since i last posted, and I have some news. Not only am i more comfortable knitting around other guys, but it proves to be a great gal magnet. I knit in the hall before classes, and many of the nursing students who have class nearby stop in the halls to see what i'm doing. One day, a group of maybe six women stood a few yards away staring, then asked what i was doing. So thanks for all the advice, especially your posting mike. I think harley davidson's slogan is ride free, mine is knit free.
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  04:19:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Yeah it's a great ice breaker. I went into a LYS my sister has been trying to get me to check out for a month or so now this past Saturday, the owner told me she had been expecting me. Her assistant was showing me around then asked me if I was buying yarn for my sister. Ha! by the end of the conversation she was begging me to teach her and her girl friend to spin. My wife said it was OK to bring home two young women :o)Man, only in fiber arts.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

steveknits
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2006 :  4:31:30 PM  Show Profile Send steveknits a Private Message
I was a closet knitter for a couple of years. I was sure I was the only man, with the exception of a few old fishermen on some remote island off the coast of Ireland, that knitted. Then I discovered a local stitch'n beach group, (can I still SAY stitch'n beach?), with quite a few guys. Since then, I'm out 2-3 times a week, at different groups here in the Atlanta area. I joined the Atlanta Knitting Guild. Me and two other male members were the first guys to ever attend the guild knitting retreat in February. (FUN!) Four of us guys volunteered for the knitting center at the Sewing and Quilting Expo last month. (We turned a few heads. It was a hoot.) Basically, I'm hooked. I've gotta knit. (what else am I going to do with all this yarn?!) It's my sanity. And I'm gonna knit whenever, and wherever I want. If you live in a larger city, there are knitting groups. (check Yahoo groups), and some of those groups are gonna have guys. Start your own group. I'm sure the LYS wouldn't mind you posting some sort of notice. (or may even know of other guys who come in to buy yarn that would like to get together and knit) Like the Nike folks say, "Just Do It!"
~~~ Steve
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  05:50:42 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
I find it funny - because people come into our house and see afghans, shawls or scarves I've knit (my sister tends to use them as decorative accents) and people always assume my sister has knit them.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  06:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message
Mmario, anybody who knows you would automatically assume it was your work, even if your sister was a knitter! You do yummy stuff, and Dazey just looooves her scarfittensock.

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/
Go to Top of Page

petitemorte
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  6:50:59 PM  Show Profile Send petitemorte a Private Message
I am always impressed and inspired by male fiber artists - Rock on guys!
My DH sometimes gets this funny little look when I'm talking about guys on the forum, I tell him "Baby, if you just pick up a pair of needles you could be the one saying witty things and making other women giggle"
Just one thing guys more of you need to post links to pics of projects.

Di,the cross country knitter

http://photobucket.com/albums/f348/switchbladeknitter/
(insert something witty)
Go to Top of Page

danspun
Chatty Knitter

101 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  06:35:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit danspun's Homepage Send danspun a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by petitemorte

Just one thing guys more of you need to post links to pics of projects.

Although my main focus is spinning I do have knit projects posted. Pics are on my blog, although there are also projects from my wife (who refuses to take time away from her own knitting to blog - wise move).

My blog:
http://www.sattler-reimer.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  06:39:26 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
I've got pictures posted too -

my site is at:

http://groups.msn.com/MmariosPage

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

yarnspeaktome
Chatty Knitter

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  3:48:11 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnspeaktome a Yahoo! Message Send yarnspeaktome a Private Message
Just introduced my 8 year old son to knitting, and he loves it especially when we're spending a "quiet evening together". No TV or video games. Just him and I listening to classical music while working on our projects. Him betting how fast I could complete a certain amount of rows, and I betting how far he can get without dropping or adding a stitch.

My husband didn't approve at first. Again this macho thing. But my son replied "What's the difference of guys making fish nets and basket weaving (Famous Nantasket baskets of Nantucket, Ma)? It's all forms of knitting more or less. Some of the most famous knitters and designers of sweaters are men." I just sat there grinning and continued to knit as my husband pondered away. That's my boy!

ElsieW
Go to Top of Page

DorsetMartin
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  09:42:26 AM  Show Profile Send DorsetMartin a Private Message
There is another male site www.menwhoknit.com

You made a mistake.
Nobody's purlfect in this world!
Go to Top of Page

collieknit
Warming Up

84 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  4:15:29 PM  Show Profile Send collieknit a Private Message
last week at my knitting group, one of the gals commented "soon you'll be one of the girls". I turned a little red and then had to laugh. I have found though, that the advantage of knitting around other guys is that they are not inclined to discuss intimate female issues. There are certain things that I'd prefer to remain ignorant about in such an area.
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  09:05:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
I think men who knit along with men who do other "different from everybody else" things are actually the most manly. And y'all are far more interesting than some guy who can't carry on a conversation that doesn't have something to do with sports. Not that there isn't a place for sports, but it's so nice to meet real men who DO eat quiche (quiche is durn good and just as artery clogging as any hamburger!) and have many and varied interests.

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

collieknit
Warming Up

84 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  09:18:11 AM  Show Profile Send collieknit a Private Message
Hey, sports are fine for discussion, as long as it's not football. I enjoy watching and can follow most sports, but not football. I have to admit, I wish that some of the gals at my knitting group were into air cooled volkswagens, but beggers can't be choosers.
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  10:02:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
I used to own two air-cooled VWs. A 67 Beetle and a 68 Microbus. I loved them. Passionately. I miss them....

If you ever come to San Antonio with your beautiful VW babies, can I have a ride? Please?

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

collieknit
Warming Up

84 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  12:55:55 PM  Show Profile Send collieknit a Private Message
Not unless you like early watercooled vanagans (westy). My dad and I own an 84", but we've looked at a few bay windows and a few beetles in the area. Someone should turn their bus into a moving yarn store.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?