Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Dream LYS
 needle rant
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sanity101
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
594 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  2:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit sanity101's Homepage Send sanity101 a Private Message
In my neck of the woods (east side of columbus ohio) there are no less than 4 reputable knitting shops, not counting things like Jo-anns or that stuff, which should be *more* than adequate for any notion I might have, yes?

However, having just visited *all four of them* they all carry the same two brands of bamboo needles: Plymouth and clover. Now, I don't have anything against plymouth and clover, except that I have some things against plymouth and clover: namely, I've had clover tips splinter on me, and don't like the join on plymouth circulars.

Wouldn't you think that ONE of these places might cary crystal palace or addi natura, or *something*? Do companies try to have regional monopolies on silly things like bamboo circulars? grrrr...

-C

(and none of them seem to cary koigu either, unless they keep it locked away in the back for the 'special' custiners or something )

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  3:13:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
I only have 2 LYS's but I have similar problems finding good needles. Namely small needles seem to be in short supply. No one carries Crystal Palace. They make my favorite DPN's too.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  6:14:36 PM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
It might be a cost issue. I don't know what the minimum order for Addis are, but maybe all your LYS don't see a great need to buy the higher end circs based on the demographics? This is just my guess. have you tried mentioning this to the various LYSOs? If they get enough feedback for these needles, they may start carrying them.

Have you tried for an online option? The Knitter carries Addi Naturas in different sizes & it's free shipping.

http://knitchick.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

kfgardner
Chatty Knitter

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  6:31:11 PM  Show Profile Send kfgardner a Private Message
The new LYS near me carries Addis. I just got a nice pair of circulars last pay day! :-)

Kimberly
Go to Top of Page

KnitRedSox
Chatty Knitter

170 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  07:21:49 AM  Show Profile Send KnitRedSox a Private Message
No stores near me carry Crystal Palace circs because they break at the join easily. I've experienced this several times, and so has the LYS owner... thus, she won't stock them.
Go to Top of Page

Annawolfsong
Chatty Knitter

118 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  07:48:54 AM  Show Profile Send Annawolfsong a Private Message
My LYS says she has to order one dozen per style and size and she's not sure she can sell enough to justify them. She may start carrying the sock size dpns but she just can't order 12 of the size 8 circs for example. Most needle companies allow you smaller minimums for re-orders and such, guess CP doesn't.

AnnaMarie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?