Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Wow, they're not kidding about needle size.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jennaknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  10:21:46 PM  Show Profile Send jennaknits a Private Message
Argh! I was having some severe frustration with my WIP, so I thought I'd just put it down for a little while to try out something different. I bought a few balls of Joann's Lolo yarn, and it calls for size 17 needles. The biggest I have is size 15, so I figured I could at least try to gauge it out and see how it works. Not at all. It's ridiculously tight. Bah. So it looks like I need to go find some 17s...I'm just concerned they're going to make the yarn too loose for what I was hoping to do - make exceptionally ostentatious mittens.

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  10:32:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
I haven't seen that yarn. It sounds interesting. Must be quite thick! I'll have to look for it.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

Seen on a church marquee: Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never be bent out of shape.
Go to Top of Page

jennaknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  11:03:57 PM  Show Profile Send jennaknits a Private Message
It's thick, but it also has chenille blobs coming off it...looks like another excuse to go to AC Moore! They had some size 50 needles there. They frightened me.

http://knitdiva.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  11:26:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
size 50????? How big is that? I don't know if we have AC Moore here. I hadn't heard of it until seeing it here at KR.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

Seen on a church marquee: Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never be bent out of shape.
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  12:25:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
I think size 50's are the ones that look like sharpened broomstick handles...

FO: scalloped baby blanket
WIPs: Winter Night Afghan, Homespun Stripes Afghan
USO: Catch the Wave Afghan, Checkerboard Afghan, Ripple Afghan

If you could be guaranteed money, wisdom, or love, which would you choose?
Go to Top of Page

blazfglori
Permanent Resident

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  02:28:31 AM  Show Profile Send blazfglori a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kadiddly

I think size 50's are the ones that look like sharpened broomstick handles...

LOL!

Instant image! ;)

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  04:56:27 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
My girls call them turkey basters

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  07:49:52 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I'd suggest knitting more loosely on the 15s. I refuse to run out and buy needles just for a project or two so I alter the size of my stitches.

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

jennaknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  09:48:41 AM  Show Profile Send jennaknits a Private Message
You're right, Mokey. I don't mind buying needles so much, as I don't have too much of a collection yet and I figure I'll use them again, but I can't fathom what else I would do with 17s when I already have 15s that are really only used for one thing - an ongoing WIP of a blanket with super-bulky yarn.

http://knitdiva.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  2:56:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I don't think that knitting looser on a smaller needle is gonna cut it. If you want to like the final result, go ahead and invest the few $$ and move on.

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  4:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Better yet, see if you can bring the yarn and knit a few stitches on the needles. There isn't much need for needles that size all that often, so (like Mokey) I wouldn't want to buy needles for just one project.

Keep in mind though, when you get up in those sizes it's the size number that's more intimidating than anything - it doesn't increase steadily like it does from size 0 to 15 (which has a very few skips). It skips randomly from 17 to I think 35, and then 50.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

sweetnsour
Chatty Knitter

USA
156 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  11:43:20 PM  Show Profile Send sweetnsour a Private Message
If you know anyone that has a pair of 17s, see if you can borrow them for a bit. A lot of people buy them to make quick scarves and things like that. There's some Joann brand needles that they're starting to sell in separate pairs (not like the four packs in the bargain bin) that might be a cheap way out if they have them that large.

I just bought a pair of 17s in the past six months or so, and I don't use them that much right now either. I used them to eat up some Wool Ease Thick and Quick that was sitting around collecting dust. If you were closer I'd give them to you

Amy

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Go to Top of Page

Frannybee
Warming Up

United Kingdom
96 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  04:25:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frannybee's Homepage Send Frannybee a Private Message
I have 20 mm needles that I used to make cushion covers out of Rowan Biggy Print. It *is* like knitting with broom handles but DANG it's fast! I'll be using them to make a scrap afghan when I've moved on from my umpteen WIPs.
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  05:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
I've seen a size 19, too. The reason 50s look like sharpened broomsticks may be because they're used in making broomstick lace in crochet. Or maybe that's why it's called broomstick crochet. At any rate, you'll often only be able to buy those huge sizes 1 needle at a time because that's all you need in crochet.

Amanda

A good friend: You knit faster than most women shop.
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1350 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  08:11:09 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
Another option is to do a double wrap on a smaller needle and drop the second wrap when you knit the stitch on the next row.

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

Sorka
Gabber Extraordinaire

486 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  09:57:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sorka's Homepage  Send Sorka a Yahoo! Message Send Sorka a Private Message
I had this dream that I was knitting with the turkey basters in the kitchen.. I wonder what gauge they would be!! hehehe
Denise

Oh yeah!! I have a Blog now! www.kwon.relatedhelp.com
Go to Top of Page

KellyKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1608 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  10:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit KellyKnits's Homepage Send KellyKnits a Private Message
not a big fan of Walmart but they have needles there that are red heart for $3-5 you may want to check there...

Kelly
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?